THE BROWNS BOARD

Lee on the trading black?

Guest Guest_FloridaBrownsFan_*

Just saw this on espn insider. Can anybody who has it give us a bit more info?

http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/features/ru...atures%2frumors

I don't know how they could do this unless someone blows them away with two or three pitching prospects with one ready now and another one or two that are not far away.

He's only signed thru 2010 and if the Indians find themselves out of the running early maybe it's possible. I don't know.

Guest Masters

I don't see CLE moving Lee this year at all. If they move him, they will do it just like they did with Color and CC. They will do it in his contract year, if they are out of the hunt.

The full article

The Indians might be willing to trade Cy Young Award winner Cliff Lee, according to CBSSports.com.

The story by Danny Knobler cites multiple officials familiar with the Indians who said they wouldn't be at all surprised to see Lee get traded if the Tribe falls far out of the race, just as CC Sabathia was dealt away when Cleveland fell out of it last year.

"I think they'd love to trade him," one of the officials said.

Why would you trade a guy who went 22-3 and won a Cy Young? "Because you don't think he can do it again," Knobler writes.

The story speculates that Tribe officials aren't sure whether Lee is a legitimate No. 1 starter or middle of the rotation pitcher. Consequently, they aren't sure what kind of contract to offer him in the future.

"They might think this is the time to sell high on him," another baseball official was quoted.

Lee asked to negotiate a contract extension in spring training and was turned down, General Manager Mark Shapiro telling Lee that the uncertain economy had put a hold on those kinds of talks.

It might be a terrible move, but if we get an ace-calibur prospect back, I'm not sure I'd be too upset. I don't think Cliff is a real difference maker for us, our season still comes down to the next 4 guys in the rotation and I don't think replacing Lee with Huff or Sowers or whoever would make that drastic a difference over 162 games. We'd still be competing for the Central the next couple of years, and if we get an ace in the minors to go with De La Cruz and Rondon, suddenly that can be a dominant staff, and with most of our big pieces (including Sizemore) locked up through 2012...who knows. We might be the team to beat with an even better future.

I don't think it happens unless we're out of the race though, and I don't expect to be out of the race at the deadline.

Archived