THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns To Work Out Heyward-Bey

EERSandBROWNS

From PFT

The plot continues to thicken with the Cleveland Browns’ wide receiver situation.

University of Maryland wide receiver Darrius Heyward-Bey, the fastest player at the NFL Scouting Combine with a 4.30 time in the 40-yard dash, is scheduled to conduct a private workout for Browns team officials Friday morning in College Park, Md., according to Ken Murray of the Baltimore Sun.

The Browns have been shopping wide receiver Braylon Edwards, albeit unsuccessfuly thus far, and have also scheduled a workout Friday with Rutgers wide receiver Kenny Britt.

Also, offensive coordinator Brian Daboll and offensive quality control coach George McDonald worked out University of Georgia wide receiver Mohamed Massaquoi earlier this week. A league source told us the workout went very well.

Does all of this activity add up to Edwards being traded? If it’s all just an elaborate smokescreen, which I tend to doubt, then you have to give the Browns a little credit for giving their NFL competitors and the media something to think about.

A couple of things stand out to me. There has to be a reason we are working out so many of these mid-late 1st round guys. Maybe we're just doing our homework, but I think where there's smoke there's fire on this one. Do I believe the BE trade winds are at an impasse? Sounds logical to me, but what's the big deal? How many trades have been considered dead and then actually gotten worked out? One thing I know for sure is that we won't know for sure about a trade until either the #5 pick or the #29 pick.

Here's another thought...

The Browns are sending out signals that they'll be picking late in the first which will make teams presume they're trading with the Giants. The other team I heard mentioned only today that might be interested is the Eagles (who are obviously rivals). Maybe the trade is, in fact, with the Eagles. While Sheldon Brown might be a nice addition, I don't get the sense that the Eagles would part with him and set themselves back.

Eagles 1st , 3rd or 4th would work for me, Sheldon is like 30 now so who knows if he could help us right now.

My god i cant wait till this shit is over so we can actually talk about the players we have rather than who we want. let the fun begin.

sure sounds like the BROWNS don't think the BE to NYG deal is dead.

As I stated before, I don't think the Browns go for Crabtree or Maclin at #5 if they trade Edwards. It just doesn't make sense. But to get a guy with huge upside at #29 DOES make sense.

However, I really think that if BE goes, we will go with defense at #5, then we will go CENTER at either 29 or 36...and LB/DE at the other. This team is likely to be built as a ball control offense and the NE Pats went YEARS without a TOP NOTCH WR....so why not believe it can be done here.

Archived