THE BROWNS BOARD

the best fit for our defense

Solon16

What about matthews 3 shedding 10-15lbs and having a go at safety?

At 245 he's about 10 lbs too small right now to play 3-4 olb. I just don't think he can handle an OT. His frame is maxed out IMO for adding any poundage. Even now he's an achilles or hammy concern. He's good in open space, fairly quick, has a nose for the ball, good at reading QB's and can cover decently.

This Scouting report seems to agree (not with the position switch, but with the tools Matthews brings). Instead of a consistent pass rusher (OLB) bring him up for blitzes with his explosive 1st step.

He is a very aggressive blitzer who lacks pass rushing techniques, but compensates for it with an explosive first step.

Dunno, might be worth a look as a late 1st (after a trade or two) if we get a true pass rusher we're happy with early, and then I'd look at Maclin /Nicks in the early 2nd (36) to line up opposite of Braylon.

What about matthews 3 shedding 10-15lbs and having a go at safety?

At 245 he's about 10 lbs too small right now to play 3-4 olb. I just don't think he can handle an OT. His frame is maxed out IMO for adding any poundage. Even now he's an achilles or hammy concern. He's good in open space, fairly quick, has a nose for the ball, good at reading QB's and can cover decently.

This Scouting report seems to agree (not with the position switch, but with the tools Matthews brings). Instead of a consistent pass rusher (OLB) bring him up for blitzes with his explosive 1st step.

Dunno, might be worth a look as a late 1st (after a trade or two) if we get a true pass rusher we're happy with early, and then I'd look at Maclin /Nicks in the early 2nd (36) to line up opposite of Braylon.

McShay was saying this morning that Maclin is an even worse route runner than crabtree. I don't like this years WR class at all.

Guest Aloysius

Ayers isn't a realistic or wise option at #5. I like him later as an upside guy, but he wasn't productive enough in college to receive that much guaranteed money.

That said, I like the idea of having Dennis assume Lum's homer role. That'd be gangbusters for this board.

Archived