THE BROWNS BOARD

Quinn "NOT FOR SALE"

WPB Dawg Fan

So much for the Brady Quinn on the trading block rumors. As I said in another post...I think the 'real' story has been that other teams are INQUIRING about Brady Quinn...not that the Browns are actively shopping him. Now this story comes out of Denver:

Report: Browns won't trade Brady Quinn

advertisement

By Steve Doerschuk

CantonRep.com staff writer

Posted Apr 24, 2009 @ 09:15 AM

BEREA —

Josh McDaniels might want a Cleveland quarterback with his Broncos but can’t have him, the Denver Post is indicating.

According to the Post: “The Broncos made preliminary inquiries about Brady Quinn but were told the Cleveland Browns’ third-year quarterback was not available for trade.”

That doesn’t mean the Broncos might not attempt to do quarterback business with the Browns. The Post says the Broncos have gotten in line with the Jets and Redskins, teams that wish to trade up to get QB Mark Sanchez.

If Sanchez is still on the board at No. 5, the Browns might weigh whether they would demand the No. 12 and No. 18 picks that the Broncos own. The Broncos have an extra first-round selection in the wake of the Jay Cutler trade..

If, in fact, Quinn is not available, that would seem to be an indication the reports that the Browns are interested in taking and keeping Sanchez are a smokescreen.

Meanwhile, ESPN analyst Todd McShay says there is a good chance Georgia QB Matthew Stafford will fall to No. 5 if the Lions don’t take him at No. 1 overall and a chance the Browns will pick Stafford him and try to trade him.

McShay’s bottom line on who the Browns probably will pick at No. 5 doesn’t involve a quarterback. His view of Cleveland’s pick: “I’m told Tyson Jackson over B.J. Raji and over Micahel Crabtree.”

Jackson, from LSU, would be a more natural 3-4 end than Raji, a natural 3-4 nose tackle from LSU.

That makes sense with a team that already has Shaun Rogers on the nose.

Rogers, though, could excel at any of the line positions and would see fewer double teams if a horse like Raji was gobbling up two lockers in the middle.

A lineman over a linebacker? The thinking is that D’Qwell Jackson, Kamerion Wimbley and the free agency pick-ups might look halfway decent behind a dominant defensive line.

I find it interesting to see Tyson Jackson listed as a possibility at #5. I like his game and think he fits well...but #5 is a bit of a reach IMHO.

Great stuff, John! Thanks for posting it.

Love that our FO is keeping everyone guessing. Love even more that they're willing to take one of the QBs and hold them hostage for picks.

Now that people know that, however, I wonder if it doesn't actually put Seattle into the catbird's seat. I haven't seen or heard ANYTHING about Seattle's intentions so I wonder if ManKok is working the rumors a little too hard and may push trade partners up to #4 inadvertently.

Denver, for example, may be able to get Seattle to take less than we're demanding -- if indeed we are demanding 12 and 18 for Sanchez -- which would suck big time for us.

Love the intrigue though. This will make for another great draft drama for we Browns fans.

I just really hope that we don't end up with Jackson at 5. But Maulauga and Jackson at 12 and 18 would be nice...

I think it's a terrible idea for Denver to be worrying about a Qb this year. As bad as that defense was in 2008 they'd make great strides to improve it by using both of those 1st round picks on D.

The only thing I can think of is maybe Mcdaniels doesn't see any of next year's Qb's as being nearly as good as Sanchez.

That article sounds more factual trading bq never made any sense to me but i would still like to hear it from mangini or kokinis sometime during or after this weekend..at this point it looks like we are going to have a qb derby and im sure bq is more than ready to take the captains helm...;)

I like jackson but at #5...hmmm KC seems to have peaked an interest in him too..

Now this story comes out of Denver:

The quote is old and is a result of the Quinn-Cutler trade not happening.

Looks like every writer in Cleveland has run with it though.

Meanwhile in NYC, the Jets are deciding if they want Quinn or Jason Campbell at QB next season...

The quote is old and is a result of the Quinn-Cutler trade not happening.

Looks like every writer in Cleveland has run with it though.

Meanwhile in NYC, the Jets are deciding if they want Quinn or Jason Campbell at QB next season...

That's cute...because your comment is all predicated on the REDSKINS somehow trading up (with what) and getting Sanchez.

And again...that is what the JETS would want...not the BROWNS shopping Quinn.

Archived