THE BROWNS BOARD

Nothing will stop Lions from taking Stafford

Adz1987

A source inside the Detroit Lions organization told NFL.com’s Thomas George that neither the team nor QB Matthew Stafford believe any differences in contract talks will stop the Georgia quarterback from becoming the No. 1 overall pick in Saturday’s draft.

Stafford has previously expressed his desire to play for the Lions, and he didn’t waver from that stance on Friday.

“We’ve had some good talks, some good visits and sessions, and I would feel very comfortable there and believe I could become a part of growing something special,” Stafford said. “I wouldn’t feel lost there at all.”

Also making his pitch to be the Lions’ No. 1 pick was Wake Forest LB Aaron Curry, who told NFL.com’s Pat Kirwan that he would take less money than 2008 No. 1 pick Jake Long did from the Miami Dolphins.

But Stafford appears to be the Lions’ first choice, and the sides have been trying to put the finishing touches on a deal all week.

Assuming this is the case, what happens with our pick. Does anything change or did we already know this much?

Archived