THE BROWNS BOARD

THIS is what we've been waiting all f-ing offseason for?

Guest mz.

from a contract monetary status and quality of players I am happy,

We needed a young quality center, We NEEDED a good route runner tall ALL HANDS consistent reciever, that DE who will be an OL I think will be a surprise for us, he is quick and strong and knows how to get to the qb. Massaqoui was good at Georgia.

We picked up a safety that Mangini already know from the Jets along with another De.

This may not be a high value target in terms of draft popularity but I think we got a lot of players that fit a lot of holes we have.

Me I am happy, we seem to keep be (for now) and BQ... We pick up a RB in the later rounds I think we are set for this year.

Really tough to say if the ManKok screwed up with the draft or not... that all comes down to the players themselves

In general, because they chose not to be very active in free agency (I'm not sure why) and let other players go, it can't be denied that the Browns needed quantity over quality in the draft.

As much as one would think #5 would be a sure thing, they said the same thing about the guy Mangini drafted at #6 last year - so even top picks can crap out.

The chances of later pick crapping out is probably higher - but at least the salary isn't as bad, and by picking more players there's that much more of a shot of getting quality contributors - maybe not Pro Bowlers - but this team SORELY needs contributors.

So where as some teams have the luxury of a "less is more" approach to the draft, knowing that their teams are all set and the likely hood of more than 4 or 5 rookies making the squad in the first place is a low - the Browns need as many guys as possible from this draft.

They certainly traded back a lot - and you can question whether they truly got value - but it can't be argued that the Browns need to adopt a "more is more" approach in this draft - so they deserve at least a bit of credit for recognizing that common sense and executing.

Actually I'm a bit surprised there wasn't more horse trading to pick up some additional third or 5th rounders (there's still lots of quality in the 5th round) - ironic that I'm sure the Browns would love to have the 8 draft picks in the top 100 that the Patriots have - but four draft picks in the top 52 is really nothing to sneeze at - again, its just a question of whether you've got players or future cuts.

it's a joke, I can't believe they didn't pick shonn greene at #50 nor #52. I don't get the point of picking robiskie when they could have just picked crabtree at #5 or #17 pick maclin.

they also passed on maualuga at #36...

shonn greene didnt have a single game under 100 yards last season with the hawkeyes and has a great work ethic(my close relative plays for the hawkeyes), it's a real shame they didn't pick him. he will be a sleeper pick to whoever picks him.

see here http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=160849

Easy, mz the pussy.

This is actually a GREAT draft for us. The best FOOTBALL PLAYER draft we've had in 11 years.

All four guys are solid, experienced players. All four will contribute immediately.

Most importantly, all four fill true "must" NEEDS. We went from deficits at C, WR and OLB to neutral at worst.

Today's a great day. Enjoy it!

ESPN 2 liking our approach. Say this is the way to build a foundation. McShay, Edwards, Wingo all like it.

The Browns got:

- a top ranked center to keep the damn LB's from charging straight up the gut at our QB's

- drafted a hometown WR

- kept our home state QB

- obtained an established NFL starting safety

- a backup QB, who by the way lit us up in pre-season last year

- a Hawaiian LB from a military family (i.e. discipline) known for a being the first guy in the weight room every day

- shored up a paper thin WR crew

7 guys in all on the first day of the draft with a pile of picks for day 2.

Not much flash, but it has teeth.

Im pleased, we've filled some needs, best Center prospect for year, 2 excellent underrated wide receivers, both of whom will be better than Heyward Bey, Veikune should make an excellent transition to OLB, little bit dissapointed we missed out on Connor Barwin but if we hit on one of those 6th rounders ill count this an excellent draft...

I know its been said, but I love how we got out of the #5. After Curry, there wasnt one guy who had me head-over-heels in love. Orakpo, Crabtree, and Raji all had issues. So Mangini and Kokinis convinced everyone that even though we have 2 qbs, we're going to take a QB. That's just genius IMO. Hopefully the guys we took/take will pan out and help us.

I guess i feel weird cos all time long i felt our need was defense and a lil bit of offense and we ended up drafting

>> almost all offense and not going defense

>> Selecting 2 WR's instead of one

>> Not having any top prospects

>> No RB

>> Trading down twice and not being sure if we really got the value of our trade down.

>> Also I guess not selecting any big name prospects in all three of our top picks when we had the option of picking them has me feeling - kinda not so great !

Anyone in my boat :( ?

Guest Masters
it's a joke, I can't believe they didn't pick shonn greene at #50 nor #52. I don't get the point of picking robiskie when they could have just picked crabtree at #5 or #17 pick maclin.

they also passed on maualuga at #36...

shonn greene didnt have a single game under 100 yards last season with the hawk eyes and has a great work ethic(my close relative plays for the hawkeyes), it's a real shame they didn't pick him. he will be a sleeper pick to whoever picks him.

see here http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=160849

Why not take Crabtree at #5? Well, because they got a 2nd round pick out of trading back. More is always good. Not to mention they got a DE, a S, and a QB out of the deal. They filled two starting spots and the #3 QB in the deal. None of the guys taken at #5 can fill 3 roster spots, plus give you another pick.

Robiskie fill as need and is a safe pick, along with good value. Massaquoi is again a solid pick that fills a need, along with getting value. CLE probably could have picked them in reverse order. But teams were high on him. Remember, CLE has ONE starting WR on the depth chart w/ BE. Robiskie/Massaquoi will fill the #2 or slot role w/ success for CLE.

How many teams passed on Rey. A guy people wanted taken at #5 over all. There is a reason that many teams passed on him. In the end he is seen as the 3rd best LB out of USC and lower than The Animal. Time will tell if most of the NFL GM's were wrong, but I would doubt it.

Greene also has a lot of miles on him already, so it's a concern. It's not a need in CLE. They can get someone like him tomorrow. My guess is the staff has bigger plans for Harrison.

CLE has filled the need for a big strong C to go against Hampton and Ngata 4 times a year. They filled the need for solid WR to be 2/3 to BE's #1. They got a DE/OLB who can bring pressure. On paper it may not be flashy, but it looks pretty solid. CLE might have just gotten 3 starters out of their first 5 picks, along with 2 other starters from the trade. Put in perspective of a 53 a team.

I think someone else said it best.....this draft isn't sexy..but it has teeth. These players will all contribute. I'm still thinking that Edwards will be gone before the season starts, even if it's for draft picks next year. We're going after football players in the new era.

Trading down twice and not being sure if we really got the value of our trade down.

Anyone in my boat :( ?

This is my exact problem. I'm fine with trading down, in fact I'm happy with it. I'm also fine with going WR and Center. I'm just not sure we picked the correct players.

But why not take Maclin at 17 and wait til Rd 2 for Unger instead of taking Mack and Robiskie??? Isn't that better value??????

I don't like it.

Everything went well until we made a pick. We passed up some top quality LB's, WR's and RB's. Instead we got a C, a couple OK WR's and a guy who isn't even a proper LB. Don't get me wrong, these guys look like they could be good players, BUT. Considering we could all be talking now about having Beanie, Rey and one of the WR's, I guarantee 90% of us would be a hell of a lot happier with that. Based on everything that was wanted before the draft, we did not predict nor want this. I appreciate a lot of you trying to defend the picks but from what has been said in the weeks prior to this, it's terribly dissapointing.

Oh well, first pick next year.

This is my exact problem. I'm fine with trading down, in fact I'm happy with it. I'm also fine with going WR and Center. I'm just not sure we picked the correct players.

But why not take Maclin at 17 and wait til Rd 2 for Unger instead of taking Mack and Robiskie??? Isn't that better value??????

Unger isn't big enough to take on nose tackles...

Im pretty sure that after curry went bye bye and we have no need of a qb mankok decided not to waste a #5 on overpriced unproven talent and i applaud that..we now have a starter quality safety and coleman will lay waste to chaun smith on the DE spot in training camp...we have gained a very big,strong and smart center something we really needed to keep our qb alive and to offer up smash mouth runs up the gut(can you say hello jamal lewis?)..

Robiskie is an excellent possesion reciever at slot 2 or 3 and is nearly as good as slowtree and maybe better if we keep braylon..massaquoi is better then given credit he is extremely tough and improved drastically over the past season and he very well could be that gem in the rough for a 3rd slot guy..

Veikune will be moved successfully from DE to olb this guy has what it takes to naturally convert and will potentially be a freaking rock in our defense in no time...

If you look past the big names and the shiny lights and fame that surround the teams that picked them you may see mankok got this team what it really needs the rest requires good ol' fashion elbow grease from the coaching staff...most of us have said crennels poor coaching and the bums under him were the biggest problem on the defense and i still believe that..

I give mankok an A for day 1 not for greatness of macho on picks but for taking dabolls needs into heavy consideration because the truth is our offense was way more fubar then our defense and cant be fixed with coaching alone...;)

Mankok done well with the scraps savage left them...

A lot of u aren't happy because u r used to flashy picks. This is the way u build a strong sucessful team. I think the Browns had the best first day of any team and if this continues tomorrow they will have had possibly their best draft in 20yrs.

At least we won't have the annual PD article about how the Steelers draft lineman, thus their success, and we don't. :rolleyes:

Archived