Age 30

Pronounced KEN-Yawn

Position DE

Experience 8 years

College UCLA

2008 Scouting Report - Scouts Inc.

Grade: 67 | Key

Alert: None

Comment: Coleman is a six-year veteran who has great size, durability and strength with above-average athletic ability. He is powerful to hold the point versus the run and shows natural strength to split double teams. He tends to catch too often, but has improved his hand use to extend and lock out on blockers. He is best between the tackles because he doesn't appear to have great range in pursuit. He is limited with his pass-rush moves and counters. Coleman tends to rush down the middle of his opponent too often and needs to expand his hand use and pass-rush package. He appears to have improved his reactions as plays unfold. He feels pad pressure well and constricts running lanes. He shows decent initial pop to stymie blockers at the line of scrimmage and has a powerful lower body to flash decent bull rush. Coleman was a career backup before landing in New York and performed well enough to solidify his starting position. He is best aligned as a five--technique rather than inside over the guard in even fronts.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Aloysius

With Corey Williams and Robaire Smith still recovering from last year's injuries, both of Mangini's d-line guys are playing with the first team at OTA's.

RE: C.J. Mosley

NT: Shaun Rogers

LE: Kenyon Coleman

Last year, Coleman and Mosley rotated at RE, with Coleman starting & playing on most run downs. It'd be nice to see them once again rotate at one spot, with Robaire and Corey splitting duties at the other one. Hopefully, Robaire has enough left in the tank to keep Corey fresh, which should help him get his sack totals closer to what they were back in Green Bay.

Should be interesting to see where they line up once everyone's healthy.

I don't know about in real life, but in madden Coleman is an absolute beast....that dude was forever getting past Joe Thomas and splitting him and Steinbech.

He's from Fonatan like Jaqueer.

Guest Aloysius

Kenyon's a very strong run defender but is a nonexistent pass rusher; that's why C.J. Mosley would sub in for him on passing downs. He's a solid two down defender.

Corey Williams is the big question on our d-line. He could struggle like he did last year, or he could turn into a chunkier Shaun Ellis. If he doesn't impress this year, ManKok probably sheds his ridiculous contract and takes a DE early in next year's draft.

Kenyon's a very strong run defender but is a nonexistent pass rusher; that's why C.J. Mosley would sub in for him on passing downs. He's a solid two down defender.

Corey Williams is the big question on our d-line. He could struggle like he did last year, or he could turn into a chunkier Shaun Ellis. If he doesn't impress this year, ManKok probably sheds his ridiculous contract and takes a DE early in next year's draft.

I agree about Williams and think Cloeman is a perfect "read and react" 3-4 DE. He isn't very good pass rusher but he holds the point of attack is is really solid against the run.

I'm hoping Robaire Smith is healthy because I remember how dominate he was in 2007. With garbage at NT he was good against the run and put some pressure on the QB. He is very underrated. That being said, it is hard for a man his size to get back to 100% from his injury.

I've said this before: I think our DL has become something of a strength.

Yeah right.. our d-line is "something" all right.. strength would not be the term i would use. "sieve" is the word that comes to mind. I hope they prove me wrong.

Archived