THE BROWNS BOARD

What would make this season a success? (article and talking points)

jiggins7919

Excerpt from Grossi article:

I think the following objectives would characterize a successful season:

1. A record better than last year’s 3-13. This is imperative. "Tanking" -- purposely losing -- to earn the No. 1 pick in the draft is counter-productive to the goal of abolishing the losing culture.

2. More wins in the final eight games than in the first eight games.

3. A discernible feeling at the end of the season that the team survived the worst and had grown significantly in esteem and respect.

4. Clarity about the quarterback position to the point where the organization knows exactly its plan and proceeds aggressively and decisively.

5. Conviction to end the deconstruction of the roster and accelerate the reconstruction. That means no more trading down and passing up the best players in the draft to collect extra picks.

If the Browns achieve these five points, they would gain the confidence of their long-suffering followers and be taken seriously as an organization on the rise.

I'm not always the biggest Grossi fan, but he makes some very valid points here. First let me say that anything can happen in the NFL, and there are always one or two teams that kind of come out of nowhere to do WAY better than analysts predicted. We were that team in 2007 with Derek Anderson and cast. But more realistically, we're going to struggle, and we're going to struggle BIG. More than half of our roster is comprised of rookies and second year players, and BOTH of our starting OLB's are rookies. It doesn't look very promising this year in terms of wins vs losses, but we can still have a "good year" in other ways.

So what are you looking to see that Grossi didn't list? What he wrote regarding the number of wins in the second half of the season is what I most want to see. Can we go into the offseason really believing that we are making something here? Does RG III play well enough to lock down the job? Do we play well in close games and show maturity beyond our years? Can the young bucks on the team establish themselves as quality draft picks and not fall in the category of, "Well, they're just rookies. Maybe they'll get better next year." (I'm looking at YOU, Danny Shelton).

I also want to see us improve our numbers against the run, AND have better sack totals. I believe we can accomplish this rather easily, as we completely sucked in both avenues last season. Horton puts up sacks numbers, and I think he'll be able to slightly help our run defense as well. I want to see SOMEBODY on the defense just "blow up". I want an allstar, badass, "knock yo' grandmama around because she burnt the casserole" defender.

I don't think I'm asking for much. If some, or maybe ALL, of these things happen, the season can be a success, and I'll be happy going into the draft. ESPECIALLY if we don't need to fire sale our draft picks to move up for a QB. I know there will be some that say, "You play to win the game! Anything less than a winning season is terrible and unacceptable!" But I don't see it that way. I want to believe we're building something great here, and I realize Rome wasn't built in a day. Time to take that first step Sunday.

I think if we even show a glimpse of an ability to slow down the run with our rush defense then things are looking up.

Also if our young skill position players make some noise and our offense at least moves the ball and makes plays then I'm good.

The thing with last year, especially in the final 6-7 games, the team looked like they had completely given up, which is why I believe Pet was let go. There was no sense of progression toward better things. I think this year, like Grossi states, we just need to trend upward

I agree. He make valid points. But we do have a shitload of draft picks next year. So there will still be a bit of roster deconstruction. I am not thinking that the Pro Bowl will be laden with Browns players this year.....though that would be a nice surprise.

I see a lot of 'could be good to great in a few years players', a few 'already pretty good', and plenty of 'definitely replaceable' guys. Oh, and JT. We could easily stand to upgrade at CB2, safety, ILB, DL, RT, QB, and then it depends how the season goes.

So I think the guys we cut next march/april aren't going to be the guys that contribute this season.

To the article, I basically agree - as long as we feel we're a better team in december than we were in august, that's progress, especially when you consider the youth of the team.

I'm truly conflicted about this year. My Browns fan side says the same thing every year, 11-5 and a playoff berth. Now my realistic side says probably 2-14 and it'll look and smell like AFTER berth! I seriously would expect a year of CONSISTANT GROWTH! I want to see a TEAM that gives 100% as an average! Meaning I understand one cant always accomplish 100%!!! I want to see players who look for ways to go over 100% and make it a priority to overcome deficiencies in their game! I want to see players who when not on the field are talking amongst themselves,and coaches. Trying to get the most out of any given Sunday! I want to see a team that win,or lose, is barely able to walk back to the locker room! I want coaches who can teach at an individual level,but also lay down the law to the whole team! I want accountability player to player, Coach to coach,and coach to player! Basically I want a team that is absolutely,positively,and to a man dedicated to being the best Cleveland Brown he can be! On and off the field! I want 120% dedication! I want 120% effort! Only 100% ACHIEVEMENT will be tolerated!!! GO BROWNS!!!

Look at it this way. We know we have about 4-5 positions on the field that are firm starters. We know there's essentially a whole team of young dudes who can potentially fill those spots this year. We also know we will have a lot more young guys to fill those spots next year in terms of draft picks.

Success for me most simply put would be that a reasonable amount of the young guys begin to fill the role as firm (not pro-bowlers, but firm) starters. Honestly, if 4-5 guys from this class show they can be or have the potential to be firm starters that's a great start. Rinse and repeat next year. The record is going to suck, so honestly if it's better than last year doesn't matter to me nearly as much.

The more I think about it, the more I want a "breakout player" who is young and that WE DRAFTED. I completely realize that rookies don't generally "blow up" right away, but SOME do every year, right? I want one of our rookies OR second year drafted players to BREAK OUT.

Candidates include:

Danny Shelton - everyone on this board knows how I feel about this guy. I am NOT HAPPY with him. If you're drafted at #12, I expect you to make a damn difference.

Nate Orchard - losing his starting gig does NOT make me feel good about him. He ended the season making a few nice plays, so I'm concerned.

Emanuel Ogbah - Shown some promise, would love to see a good, solid year from him (7 sacks or so, good against run)

Joe Schobert - Same as Ogbah. Need one, if not BOTH of these guys to really shine.

Corey Coleman - Looked a little rusty and jumpy the last two preseason games. Hopefully he calms down and comes into form sooner than later. We need him first 4 games.

Carl Nassib - really, REALLY like the style of this guy. I think he'll be a fan favorite for year.

We need some impact, breakout, kickass players. Guys that we drafted that make an immediate, noticeable, and dramatic difference right away.

Has Tony Grossi ever played a single down of football, College or pro? At this point record should not matter, but some good things happen to teams that win early mojo. Agree with Tony on Tanking a season. But just like the rest, we just threw Schobert into a starting OLB spot ahead of Orch & if you never played on the field that's like throwing a blind man in with no Cane. Gelling & knowing your other teammates tendencies will take time. Same on the back end with Haden. So yes, we should look more guided by a blinds-man dog in the last 8. But only guarantees you 1 of 2 things. Play maker? Or Not?..Not Wins..Continuity matters on & off the field, FO..How bout we start there, Winning Teams Have...

"2. More wins in the final eight games than in the first eight games."

Totally agree. I've said here before it was games 9-16 that will tell me more about this team's future than any other part of the season. Are we in it 'till the last minutes of the game? Do we play as hard then as the start? Do we overcome adversity? Are the rookies losing their rookie status and becoming viable vets?

Success for me most simply put would be that a reasonable amount of the young guys begin to fill the role as firm (not pro-bowlers, but firm) starters. Honestly, if 4-5 guys from this class show they can be or have the potential to be firm starters that's a great start.

I agree, in the sense that it would be a complete failure if they dont get 5++++ starters out of this new crop......BUT, here's my beef....since they deconstructed the team(which I hate), it will take 5++++ "firm" starters JUST TO GET BACK TO WHERE WE WERE, before they cut/released?didnt sign 7 firm starters......so THIS draft has to be enough to, hopefully, just get us back to being a terrible team.....THEN, next year, they'll need to do it again to "start" the improvement....

And we are gonna need SEVERAL Pro-bowl caliber players too....over and above those 10 STARTERS they plan to get out of 2 years drafts....has anyone ever done that?......doubt it....

The more I think about it, the more I want a "breakout player" who is young and that WE DRAFTED. I completely realize that rookies don't generally "blow up" right away, but SOME do every year, right?

Every year there are rookies who blow it up right out of the gate.....just never "our" rookies.....

See my post above, cause this teams needs several players to show GREAT talent(immediately) and 5++++ to be starter quality/plus, for them to ever get good fast

Only the rookies matter...

In my book Grossi went 0 fer 5...

I see a few of his points.....

1) I want RGIII to be good enough that we dont draft a QB first next year and subject him to the Couch treatment...

2) I would also like to see improvement through the year, as opposed to the typical late season collapse.....

3) An attempt to actually WIN....as if it's our primary goal......cause, right now, obtaining picks - keeping salary down - and playing young guys(ala, a 16 game extended preseason) is not my idea of fun, entertainment or trying to win

"2. More wins in the final eight games than in the first eight games."

Totally agree. I've said here before it was games 9-16 that will tell me more about this team's future than any other part of the season. Are we in it 'till the last minutes of the game?

Yep....no more steam rolling our defense in the 4th.....The offense needs to finally step up and use some clock and allow our D a chance.....

You all got your QB and the WR's you've been whining about for years......time for them to make the difference....

And....SOMEBODY.....better make some fucking tackles....

One thing that really caused us big, serious trouble last year was conceding points inside the two minute warning. Like, we'd be close, or ahead even, then with a minute to go bam, touchdown. End of both halves, meaning that games where we looked competitive for 55 minutes, we lost by 10-14 points.

Archived