THE BROWNS BOARD

Hey kids

Westside Steve

"Your feelings are largely irrelevant"

Sure. But that doesn't just apply to millennials - it also applies to people who 'feel' like gay marriage, for example, is perverse.

"You cannot be whatever you want to be"

Absolutely. And, "This is a comforting lie parents have started telling their children to boost their morale in school." So we're moving immediately on to recognising that the generation above is to blame. Got it.

"Gender studies is a waste of money"

Absolutely. But that course (and plenty others like it) only exists to make money out of students. If the generations above actually gave a crap about young people rather than seeing them as cash cows they wouldn't offer those courses. Just a thought.

"If you live in america, you're already in the 1%"

Apparently the author hasn't heard of a thing called relative poverty. It doesn't matter if you make a hundred times as much as little Mbokembe in Uganda, if everything costs a hundred times as much to buy as well.

"You don't have a right to it just because you exist"

A right to what? Everybody clearly has a right to some things - freedom of speech, protection by police etc - and then decides to draw a line at health care and basically says people are being selfish for demanding it. The logic in this point is so ridiculous it would need a separate post to deal with it all. Still, I'm pretty sure if the police force didn't exist today, and someone suggested it, you'd get people like this asking who's going to pay for it, and that personal security should be the privilege of those who can afford it.

"You DO have the right to live as you please - but not to demand people accept it"

OK. I can get on board with this. Except, it goes basically against the first point. If Ed and Trump want to get married, and OBF objects, OBF's feelings are irrelevant. Except freedom of speech means he can apparently talk as much shit to them as he wants? Well, no, that's not how it works. Harassment, threats etc do not fall under the first amendment.

"The only safe space is your home"

And we have one that I can get on board with. Yes, people are going to say offensive things. You need to be able to deal with it, or you're really going to struggle in life.

So...many...ads

LOL

No shit right? Anyway there is a system to reading these fuckers on Facebook. You have to determine which button is the next button and not the button that takes you to the stupid fucking ad.

Too bad the Browns board doesn't have a safe Zone.

:D

(but kids have whined ever since I was one)

WSS

And I do laugh out loud at relative poverty trying to equate the guy in East Cleveland with cable big screen TV free rent utilities food Medical Care and transportation with our friends in Uganda.

WSS

Western world poor is pretty damn plush. Hell, I see the allure of having zero stress or responsibility. I would have all sorts of hobbies.

All of this fits in the "that's just the way it is" category.

The softness of maybe hurting someone's feelings is bullshit. No wonder China and Russia think we're turds. It didn't use to be this way though. We used to able to tell someone how in the fuck it is without getting clambered on by a bunch of fags.

All of this fits in the "that's just the way it is" category.

The softness of maybe hurting someone's feelings is bullshit. No wonder China and Russia think we're turds. It didn't use to be this way though. We used to able to tell someone how in the fuck it is without getting clambered on by a bunch of fags.

My family still adheres to the old ways of everyone bagging on each other and not letting any slight go unpunished haha.

My family still adheres to the old ways of everyone bagging on each other and not letting any slight go unpunished haha.

You see two guys kissing in public and oh God don't say anything.

You see some woman with six kids at a gas station buying soda pop and candy with a link card..oh God don't say anything.

You see some guy at the Doc office with his luxury car parked outside in a handicapped space with the right plates and he's paying with his medical card...of God don't say anything.

I am just living in a state with a large % of the state on welfare or disability generationally so I get sick of seeing that shit.

And I'm sure it's exclusively millennials.

Either way, having a welfare system that pays more than minimum wage (or otherwise enables a better quality of life) is just not the right way to do it.

And I'm sure it's exclusively millennials.

Either way, having a welfare system that pays more than minimum wage (or otherwise enables a better quality of life) is just not the right way to do it.

Ultimately, that is the problem. If you factor in 'free' healthcare, rent, money, EBT (food), etc. , living on welfare pays out wayy more than if you were just a low skill worker trying to learn more skills on the job. This creates generational welfare recipients. Mom and dad never learned any job skills and they pass that work ethic on to the kids.

That is true. I have a five year old boy and I asked him the other day what he wanted to be when he grows up. I told him he could be anything he wanted to be, which at five years old is still true. He says "I'm going to be a worker like you, dad". He has no idea what I actually do at work he just knows I work and do that's what his ambition is. It's not a sexy ambition but it's not such a bad one either. People willing to work usually find the opportunity to provide for themselves.

Speaking of which, did you see Josh McCown's presser? The reason he kept going back in and taking that beating is to set the example for his kids.

"I got a dad and older brother who I know get up and go to work and sometimes they don't feel great, and they go and they grind. And I got two little boys that -- they're playing football now -- and they get hit and they get banged up and I'm trying to teach them what toughness means."

Say what you like about his football skills, he's a great guy.

That is true. I have a five year old boy and I asked him the other day what he wanted to be when he grows up. I told him he could be anything he wanted to be, which at five years old is still true. He says "I'm going to be a worker like you, dad". He has no idea what I actually do at work he just knows I work and do that's what his ambition is. It's not a sexy ambition but it's not such a bad one either. People willing to work usually find the opportunity to provide for themselves.

And see that is how it should be. Growing up, I saw my dad and my grandpa working all the time. It was cool because that is what guys do. If all you see your parents doing is hanging out, you will just presume that is how things are supposed to be.

Speaking of which, did you see Josh McCown's presser? The reason he kept going back in and taking that beating is to set the example for his kids.

"I got a dad and older brother who I know get up and go to work and sometimes they don't feel great, and they go and they grind. And I got two little boys that -- they're playing football now -- and they get hit and they get banged up and I'm trying to teach them what toughness means."

Say what you like about his football skills, he's a great guy.

A good guy for sure.

I didn't get much of a relationship with my dad growing up because he worked shifts, including at the weekend. He would work either 6am-2pm, 2pm-10pm or 10pm-6am. So basically he wasn't there in either the morning, or the evening, and sometimes both. He would call home around 6pm when working the 2/10 shift, tell my mum that he'd been offered overtime, another four hours on the end of the shift. So he'd work 2pm-2am, then get up and get us ready for school in the morning and go back to bed for a few hours before going back to do the same again.

I'm still trying to build that relationship, 20 years on, but he taught me about what it means to work your backside off to provide for your children (not that I have any). Of course, I didn't realise it at the time, but it must also have been a huge sacrifice for him missing out on a lot of the events from my (and both my brothers') childhood, on top of the hard work. I wish I could thank him for it, but he's an old school kinda guy, and really struggles with the touchy feely conversations.

I wanted to be a doctor when I was a little kid. The reason was my father always wanted to be a doctor and never got the chance. He went to Kent State and got his degree in lab technician stuff after World War II. He only had two opportunities for medical school Chiropractic and osteopathic neither of them considered real medicine back in those days.

He did fairly well selling medical devices Etc to hospital so he had to travel a fair amount.

He had just enough knowledge other devices he sold and more than enough bullshit to be successful. But when he wasn't on the road I was by his side almost constantly.

Oftentimes that meant the stool beside him at the bar with a Coke and a beef stick.

I often think of the similarities and differences with his life and mine. May he rest in peace.

Chris I hope you and your old man get together before it's too late my friend.

WSS

Archived