THE BROWNS BOARD

Jesus gone; Hogan to active roster

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cam comes back this week so Hogan will get to play for sure.

Honestly, seeing the play where Kessler got destroyed, and seeing John Greco just kinda ignore Hightower, I'm actually convincing myself Erving coming back is a good thing. It was probably play design, and Greco was expecting the ball to be out sooner and to be taking off blocking, but still, basically 'unabated to the QB'.

Honestly, seeing the play where Kessler got destroyed, and seeing John Greco just kinda ignore Hightower, I'm actually convincing myself Erving coming back is a good thing. It was probably play design, and Greco was expecting the ball to be out sooner and to be taking off blocking, but still, basically 'unabated to the QB'.

When Erving is in there, you get more QB pressure and the added benefit of no interior run game. He is the best at being the worst.

For sure. But hey, we can hope, right? I mean, he played all of about 5 games at center in college, and now, what, 2 in the NFL? He's still got plenty of room for growth, with time, coaching and experience.

I'm a glass half full kind of guy...

For sure. But hey, we can hope, right? I mean, he played all of about 5 games at center in college, and now, what, 2 in the NFL? He's still got plenty of room for growth, with time, coaching and experience.

I'm a glass half full kind of guy...

I appreciate the optimism. I just don't see it. For our purposes, I hope you are the correct one.

You and me both buddy. 'Plenty of room for growth' is about as much good as I can say about him at this point - I'm pretty sure we could pick up a fifth round guy who could do a better job but that's not the point. Besides, do we then have a first round backup swing tackle?

He must be good at something, right? Maybe RT? Maybe he'll takeover for JT one day?

You and me both buddy. 'Plenty of room for growth' is about as much good as I can say about him at this point - I'm pretty sure we could pick up a fifth round guy who could do a better job but that's not the point. Besides, do we then have a first round backup swing tackle?

He must be good at something, right? Maybe RT? Maybe he'll takeover for JT one day?

He could be good with numbers. Jimmy could hire him as an assistant to an assistant of someone. Well worth the first round pick.

It's hard to believe that Matthews was so bad that they couldn't even put hm on the practice squad. Surely after 4 years as an SEC starting center he could perform better than what he have had. I have to admit though that A&M's new freshman redshirt center is already better than Matthews ever got in 4 years. Far better line coach this year.

CBJ didn't play WELL, but considering the guy wasn't on the team very long, I thought the guy hung in there. I know he only scored one touchdown, but it wasn't like he had a ton of weapons to choose from, and we damn sure couldn't run the ball AT ALL. His touchdown pass to Connor Hamlet was gorgeous, and the actual catch was exactly what many of us have been looking for in the red zone! One on one coverage, throw it up to the tall guy. Boom. This is the exact play I've been raving about for the past two years. So many other teams do it, and it's a low risk, high reward option. Now that we have Pryor (who can also pull off that kind of catch), Barnidge, AND Hamlet in the red zone, if we can identify single coverage, we have some mismatches that go in our favor. Now only is the pass difficult to defend, it often leads to a pass interference call because the smaller player is frantically trying to disrupt the play.

CBJ obviously didn't blow the doors off, but that one drive was nice, and he capped it off with a terrific pass to an undrafted rookie for a home TD. Think of what that means to a guy like Hamlet. Hell, it probably guarantees him a roster spot for the short term future. Awfully difficult to defend 6'7.

CBJ didn't play WELL, but considering the guy wasn't on the team very long, I thought the guy hung in there.

I'd say he played "well-ish"...

My major impression was a difference in the apparent speed of the game around the QB. Secondary was arm strength. Accuracy was erratic at best.

It's hard to believe that Matthews was so bad that they couldn't even put hm on the practice squad. Surely after 4 years as an SEC starting center he could perform better than what he have had. I have to admit though that A&M's new freshman redshirt center is already better than Matthews ever got in 4 years. Far better line coach this year.

Yes, I wonder that too.

So, where is Mathews now?

Hogan will start and I'll tell you why. Back in April, Hue Jackson drafted a nobody QB in the third round. He could have had Dak Prescott at that point. This should tell you Hue and the Browns Front Office do NOT rely on their scouts. After all they fired six of them before the 2016 draft.

I won't get into the whole trading away the second pick and settling for quantity verses quality. The Browns lucked into Kevin Hogan and he will be their starter. Hogan may not last more than a couple games but it won't be because he's not capable.

Hogan will be the starter because if Hue plays Kessler while Cody is still hurt it tells you that Kessler was never the franchise QB and the draft was a big huge lie!

Think about that!

Hogan will start and I'll tell you why. Back in April, Hue Jackson drafted a nobody QB in the third round. He could have had Dak Prescott at that point. This should tell you Hue and the Browns Front Office do NOT rely on their scouts. After all they fired six of them before the 2016 draft.

I won't get into the whole trading away the second pick and settling for quantity verses quality. The Browns lucked into Kevin Hogan and he will be their starter. Hogan may not last more than a couple games but it won't be because he's not capable.

Hogan will be the starter because if Hue plays Kessler while Cody is still hurt it tells you that Kessler was never the franchise QB and the draft was a big huge lie!

Think about that!

:) I don't know what to think about four duplicate posts- I deleted the extras. Regarding Hogan- If Hue thought that highly of him- he would have drafted him.instead of Kessler. We sure as hell had enough picks to take both of them. So then, WHY was Hogan on the practice squad, not Cody? Being on PS, every team in the NFL had a shot to pick Hogan's Heros up- and if he's better than Kessler as you're saying, I'd bet the ranch he'd already be gone. So are you inferring Hue is a complete moron dragging Clipboard Jesus off the scrap heap away from his TV, instead of elevating Hogan to the active roster?

Think about that!

Are you Hogan's Mom?

Z

Come on Z you aren't rooting for the Irish man?

WSS

Absolutely, but not throwing Cody under the bus in order to get to him.

Z

-- let's spend some time developing the guy we drafted and not get all in love with the guy we passed on just yet.

Really???

Now that there is some insightful shit my brother.

(dialect intended)

The practice squad guy isn't slated as the starter unless the more veteran players are unable to answer the Bell. I'd call ESPN with that scoop.

;)

WSS

Opal312: "Hogan will start and I'll tell you why"

Think about that!

Ummm, wut?

Archived