THE BROWNS BOARD

Did you guys see Veikune's combine?

Koa

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80f34ba9

Just did for the first time and first thought was this kid packs an engine.

Take a peek at him on the cones. It looks like he'll have excellent game speed and he can change direction with precise fluidity.

I'm getting a good feeling he'll make some noise sack-wise and I can't see RB's getting outside of him. Veikune > 6 sacks next year.

He's certainly got a motor. Let's hope he can spread his intensity on game day.

Because he came into the combine as a DE at 257 lbs and from hawaii he went fairly under the radar...this kid will be a beast as an olb and as a 4 man front DE he may contribute on special teams as well...his work ethic wont allow him to fail...im thinking David Veikune may end up being that "gem in the ruff" find of this draft...

Kaluka Maiava and James Davis are quite promising as well i think mankok and the scouts done their homework on their 2nd day choices...;)

Guest Aloysius

Actually, I think his long speed and change of direction ability are some of the weakest aspects of his game. He's got great short area quickness, especially his first step when rushing the passer (1.58 10 yard split), and he's very strong (35 bench). But even though he's got a great motor, he looks a little lead-footed when chasing in the open field, and I've seen him fall a couple times while trying to change directions.

I really like him, though I'm not sure where he'll end up playing in the Browns' defense. Could end up being a David Bowens-eque versatile strongside guy.

Because he came into the combine as a DE at 257 lbs and from hawaii he went fairly under the radar...this kid will be a beast as an olb and as a 4 man front DE he may contribute on special teams as well...his work ethic wont allow him to fail...im thinking David Veikune may end up being that "gem in the ruff" find of this draft...

Kaluka Maiava and James Davis are quite promising as well i think mankok and the scouts done their homework on their 2nd day choices...;)

I agree on the day 2 picks overall, but I just really see Don Carey as the guy that could emerge as something really special in a couple years.

Actually, I think his long speed and change of direction ability are some of the weakest aspects of his game. He's got great short area quickness, especially his first step when rushing the passer (1.58 10 yard split), and he's very strong (35 bench). But even though he's got a great motor, he looks a little lead-footed when chasing in the open field, and I've seen him fall a couple times while trying to change directions.

I really like him, though I'm not sure where he'll end up playing in the Browns' defense. Could end up being a David Bowens-eque versatile strongside guy.

I wouldn't disagree with your assessment of his long speed I was observing short area speed as well. I think we'll see him get to the QB quickly after using that 35-rep strength to knock his defender out of the play.

If you saw the video his change of direction ability looked on the money. The scouts disagree?

I agree on the day 2 picks overall, but I just really see Don Carey as the guy that could emerge as something really special in a couple years.

I thought Francies was the steal here... wasn't he supposed to go in the 3rd?

Guest Aloysius
I wouldn't disagree with your assessment of his long speed I was observing short area speed as well. I think we'll see him get to QB quickly after using that 35-rep strength to knock his defender out of the play.

If you saw the video his change of direction ability looked on the money. The scouts disagree?

Here's what nfldraftscout's scouting report says about it:

Lateral Pursuit/Effort: Veikune has an effective straight-line burst and also is effective changing direction. He has the lateral movement skills to work down the line, but must do a better job maintaining balance and body control working his way through trash and getting over the piles. He has that relentless motor that makes him run long distances in attempts to make the play. He stays on his feet well, but can be tripped up by low blocks when sliding down the line. GRADE: 5.5

He absolutely dominated RT Jason Watkins in the Florida game, making six tackles near the LOS, as well as getting a few QB pressures and a hit on Tebow. If he can do that at the next level, we're all going to be very, very happy with this pick.

Here's what nfldraftscout's scouting report says about it:

He absolutely dominated RT Jason Watkins in the Florida game, making six tackles near the LOS, as well as getting a few QB pressures and a hit on Tebow. If he can do that at the next level, we're all going to be very, very happy with this pick.

That actually looked like a pretty accurate and promising scouting assessment and it almost seemed they were fishing for a knock (who doesn't have trouble with body control in trash/pile-up situations?)

If this is one of his weakest attributes, I agree, we're going to be very pleased with this pick.

Guest Aloysius

Don't oversell his athleticism: his 40 time was somewhere in the high 4.7's. And he posted a 33" vertical.

His 9'02" broad jump was pretty underwhelming.

in addition to veikune's combine, there's also how he looked in senior bowl practices, which was AWESOME. his initial burst off the edge was very, very quick, and he had the strength to battle with huge, strong OTs in the event they did get a hand on him.

while his burst won't be as effective in the pros, he wasn't ever meant to be a speed rusher. he's a strength and motor guy, and that's what's going to make him effective.

When it comes to lbs I value the ability to read and react along with acceleration to be more important than top speed.

Face it, you almost NEVER see a lb run down a burner wr.

Getting to the los and stopping a run for a loss and the ability to get to the qb are all I'm worried about here. Coverage can come with time.

Hey, Larry English ran a 4.88 and he was a first round pass rusher. It's about short space speed and both guys have hit.

Also, both guys ran better in individual workouts.

I agree....he may not chase people down over 40 yards, but he is fast enough to get in to position over 10-15 yards.

Mangini said he could play inside or out. My bet is he ends up inside. His strenghts are his ability to shed blocks, strong hands and brute strength. That is the definition of an ILB.

I see his hips as being a bit too stiff to be and outside guy in the NFL. But as a guy that can hit the line straight on, I think he could be very good.

He ran with the lineman at the combine but when you put his 3 cone drill and 20 yard shuttle up against the other LB's he ranks down near the bottom.

When it comes to lbs I value the ability to read and react along with acceleration to be more important than top speed.

Face it, you almost NEVER see a lb run down a burner wr.

Getting to the los and stopping a run for a loss and the ability to get to the qb are all I'm worried about here. Coverage can come with time.

To me...mentioning LB's and Line of scrimmage in same sentence is most important to me. I can't recall the last time one of our LB really stuck someone at the LOS

Well, by adding Barton and Coleman we have definitely improved our chances against the run on paper. It's there that I'm satisfied, but obviously questions remain about the pass rush and that's what makes this thread worth responding to.

If Veikune can get to the QB with any kind of frequency he's already an upgrade over anything we've had since Jamir Miller. Don't get me wrong, I like Hall. I think Mangini/Ryan will get the most out of him, but dammit, we're way past due to hit on a guy that can just get to the passer on natural ability.

Wimbley has proven to be just a one-trick pony so far: speed rusher and that's it. I am hoping Veikune can bring that to the table and more. I am also hoping Hall will continue to improve and Wimbley will find something new. We have GOT to get to the quarterbacks to have any hope of beating the average to better-than-average teams next year. Like I said before, it doesn't matter who's manning the secondary positions if you have no one creating problems for the opposing QB.

Let's all hope Kokinis and Mangini found a gem on the islands.

Archived