THE BROWNS BOARD

Blocking TE available

We need Tom Tupa

Five days removed from drafting Oklahoma State tight end Brandon Pettigrew in the first round with the 20th overall pick, the Detroit Lions have cut tight end Michael Gaines, Adam Caplan of Scout.com reports.

Just a year ago, Gaines, a former Carolina Panthers seventh-round draft pick, had signed a four-year, $10 million contract with the Lions.

Regarded as a blocking tight end, Gaines became obsolete with Pettigrew’s arrival, which gives the Lions six tight ends on the roster currently.

This latest subtraction follows the Lions releasing quarterback Drew Henson earlier this week following the selection of University of Georgia quarterback Matthew Stafford with the No. 1 overall pick of the draft.

- PFT

In my opinion, I think we are ok at the TE spot. Gaines was ok, but we are going to need to get vertical. We could always bring him in to look at but i think Rucker is going to be able to start by the end of the year, and Royal isn't a shit bag either he is a really solid blocker.

My favorite Drew Henson Story.....When he was playing for the Yankees Triple AAA affiliate in Coumbus, (The Clippers) He would often get booed by his own home town team's crowd because of his UM ties....I chuckle everytime I think of that.

I'm thinking football may be king in Ohio and especially in Columbus......Ya think?

Regarded as a blocking tight end, Gaines became obsolete with Pettigrew’s arrival, which gives the Lions six tight ends on the roster currently.

Yep....they definitely knew what they were doing up there over the last several years and certainly deserved multi-million dollar salaries for their services. :rolleyes:

I'm not sure that there should be any happier fans in the NFL than the Lions fans, just for having gotten rid of that regime. Hell, they made Crennelephant/ Sewage look semi-competent.

In my opinion, I think we are ok at the TE spot. Gaines was ok, but we are going to need to get vertical. We could always bring him in to look at but i think Rucker is going to be able to start by the end of the year, and Royal isn't a shit bag either he is a really solid blocker.

I agree...I think Royal fill that role.

That said, i am not all that big on blocking TEs anyway. If you want a blocking TE, just play the 3rd guard or 3rd OT in the position.

It's the same with Fullbacks in my opinion. The best blocking FB ever was Fridge Perry...find a guy like that if lead blocking is what you want.

Archived