THE BROWNS BOARD

Oops! White House Caught Fudgin’ The Numbers On New Manufacturing Jobs

OldBrownsFan

Soooooooo this is looking at the time series which best I can tell shows the number of manufacturing jobs (it doesn't actually say), in thousands, and claims there are 300k fewer jobs (now 12.275m) than when Obama took charge in Jan 2009 (12.56m). That's technically correct.

The misleading part comes from where they omit the fact that it's part of a small trend starting in mid 2008 (gee I wonder what happened). That basically levelled out in about July 2009 (11.67m), and hit absolute bottom in March 2010 (11.45m)

Since that point, there are now about 825k more manufacturing jobs.

Previous administrations, for comparison:

GW Bush: 17.1m -> 12.56m (-4.5m)

Clinton: 16.79m -> 17.1m (+300k)

G Bush: 18.06m -> 16.79m (-1.27m)

Reagan: 18.64m -> 18.06 (-580k)

Carter: 17.80m -> 18.64m (+840k)

Ford: 18.57m -> 17.80m (-770k)

Nixon: 18.43 -> 18.57m (+140k)

There's a trend there it seems. ANyone else see it?

There's a trend there it seems. ANyone else see it?

I see a couple for sure. George W bush was rolling like a freight train until the Democrats took over the houses. Vice versa for Bill Clinton who had no success until the Republicans took it back. Is that the comparison you're looking for?

WSS

Actually rolling because of the housing bubble juggernaut.

WSS

That wouldn't have such a strong impact on the jobs market, rather the GDP in general, so not really relevant. The subsequent crash would impact job creation, but of course that was the tail end of Bush and the first few years of Obama.

That wouldn't have such a strong impact on the jobs market, rather the GDP in general, so not really relevant. The subsequent crash would impact job creation, but of course that was the tail end of Bush and the first few years of Obama.

Which leads us back to my point for the last two years of the Bush Administration he was saddled with a Democrat house and senate.

But before you get too upset I don't think the president has that much effect on most things that happened in the world or the country. Especially concerning job creation.

It may be different this time. If we lower the corporate tax rate and ease up some regulations we could be looking at an industry boom.

WSS

Archived