THE BROWNS BOARD

Mini-Camp reports

OconRecon

I've been able to find:

Robiskie and Mack showed up and worked with the attitude and effort everyone expected. - The OBR

MoMass, a.k.a. "sticks" (#11), looked VERY good - "fantastic in and out of cuts and caught everything" - The OBR

Harrell and Bartel were unimpressive. - The OBR

James Davis confirmed he could be a diamond in the rough.

Veikune impressed Mangini. "He's fluid for someone his size and for someone who's had limited exposure to standing up," said Mangini. "In the bag drills, he went through more like a linebacker than a defensive end. I love the guy's motor. This guy's got toughness, aggressiveness and a smoothness to the way that he changes directions and run games. I think he could play both outside and inside for us moving forward." - The PD

Any more guys?

I've been able to find:

Robiskie and Mack showed up and worked with the attitude and effort everyone expected.

MoMass, a.k.a. "sticks" (#11), looked VERY good - "fantastic in and out of cuts and caught everything"

Harrell and Bartel were unimpressive.

James Davis confirmed he could be a diamond in the rough.

Veikune impressed Mangini. "He's fluid for someone his size and for someone who's had limited exposure to standing up," said Mangini. "In the bag drills, he went through more like a linebacker than a defensive end. I love the guy's motor. This guy's got toughness, aggressiveness and a smoothness to the way that he changes directions and run games. I think he could play both outside and inside for us moving forward."

Any more guys?

Harrell looks like a kid out there with the big guys.

Texas Tech nation feels Harrell did well:

http://www.doubletnation.com/2009/5/1/8621...ll-on-first-day

Harrell Does Well on First Day with Browns

by RR77 on May 1, 2009 7:53 PM CDT 1 comment

"I have to show that it's not just the system I played in college," he said. "That I can make throws, I can take snaps, I can take drops. And learn and mold into a system that they want to run here."

The above quote from Graham was all I could find about his first day with the Browns. According to the article (link below), Graham displayed good first impressions. The overall tone was positive.

I sure hope he finds a home somewhere in the NFL. I just have a feeling that he can be a solid QB for a team. I think has "it". He just needs some development ... and a chance.

Here's a little more. Not a lot of new though

http://cle.scout.com/2/861850.html

Rookie Minicamp Report

By Fred Greetham

Posted May 1, 2009

The Browns rookies -- and others -- practiced for the first time today, and The OBR's Fred Greetham was in Berea to report on all the first-day action...

Berea—Eric Mangini welcomed 47 players on to the field Friday for the first time under his tutelage as coach of the Browns.

Two of them were second-round draft choice wide receivers Brian Robiskie and Mohamed Massaquoi. Both are being counted upon to grow up quickly and make a contribution this season, particularly Robiskie.

Robiskie:

He was called one of the most polished receivers to come out of the draft. Many feel it might be because his father, Terry, is an NFL wide receivers coach—currently with the Falcons.

“Some people might expect more of me because my Dad is a wide receivers coach,” Robiskie said. “I think it helps me to pay more attention to the little things, the details.”

Robiskie was rated by some draft gurus to be a little lower than what the Browns drafted him with the 36th pick.

“First and foremost, the Cleveland Browns answered that question,” he said.

Robiskie took the high road when asked if the change at quarterback from Todd Boeckman to Terrelle Pryor hurt his numbers as a senior.

“With the quarterback change, that might have had an effect” he said. “That’s in the past and doesn’t matter now.”

Robiskie said it’s a dream come true for him to have been in the locker room as a ball boy for the Browns and now to have his locker right next to Braylon Edwards.

“Finally, to be in this situation is exciting,” he said. “I’m excited to help this team and looking forward to making the transition and getting onto the field.”

Robiskie said his father told him to remember what got him to Ohio State and now to the Browns.

“He told me to do what I had been doing to get me to this point.”

Massaquoi

Massaquoi is taking the weekend in and is hoping to learn all he can so he can make a contribution as a rookie, as well.

“I’ve got a chance to learn from the veterans,” Massaquoi said. “I work very hard and pay attention to the little things.”

Massaquoi said he’s talked to Josh Cribbs and Edwards, among others.

“They told me to work hard and stay humble,” he said. “I’m a guy who gives everything he has and give the best effort every time.”

NOTEBOOK

• The group participating today included eight recently drafted players, 14 undrafted free agents, 20 free agents trying out and 5 players already on the roster. The players will practice on Friday and Saturday before going back to their college campuses.
  • All eight of the draft choices were in camp to go with the undrafted free agents. Those signed as UDFAs were: LB Marcus Benard (Jackson St.#, DB Corey Boudreaux #San Diego St.#, OL Brandon Braxton #Oklahoma#, WR Brent Caseteel #Utah#, OL Marlon Davis #Alabama#, LB Jonathan Foster #Central St.#, DL Adam Hoppel #Cincinnati#, LB Phillip Hunt #Houston#, TE Mike Massey #Michigan#, DB Nathrain Ness #Arizona#, WR Jordan Norwood #Penn State#, DB Antonio Smith #Bowling Green#, DB Jason Venson #Central Florida# and DB Bryan Williams #Akron#.
  • The most notable free-agent tryout players were QB Graham Harrell #Texas Tech#, RB Andrew Johnson #Akron# and DL David Patterson #Ohio State).
  • The roster players participating in the camp were QB Richard Bartel, LB David Holloway, WR Lance Leggett, DL Melila Purcell and OL Kurt Quarterman.
  • Davis Ready: The Browns are hoping to find lightning in a bottle with sixth-round draft choice James Davis from Clemson. The highly heralded running back had a disappointing senior season after amassing over 3,000 yards in his first three seasons. Davis went to the same high school as Jamal Lewis and hopes to emulate his NFL career. “Right now, I just want to learn from (Jamal),” he said. “He’s been in the NFL for a long time and I want to learn as much as a I can from him.” There was talk that he might’ve been better to come out after his junior year but Davis said he has no regrets about coming back for his senior year. “For starters, I came back for my senior year to graduate,” he said. “I knew the team would be good. I learned how to deal with adversity as the season didn’t go as expected.” Davis said he is just six hours from graduating with a degree in sociology. Davis was asked if the Browns got a steal with the pick. “I would call myself a steal,” he said. “But, I’m a hard worker and going to do what I can to contribute.”
  • Harrell’s Chance: Texas Tech QB Graham Harrell is in camp as a free agent tryout player after failing to be drafted last weekend. “It’s exciting to be here,” Harrell said. “It’s an opportunity for me to get to know the guys and the coaches and for them to get to know me.” Is Harrell (6-2, 215) discouraged for being reduced to tryout status after throwing for more touchdowns than any quarterback in college history? “The spread offense can produce NFL players,” he said. “I'm glad for the shot.” Harrell said he had a few opportunities for tryouts, but chose the Browns. “I had a few options, but my coach said the quarterback coach in Cleveland was good,” he said. “I’m glad to be here.” Harrell said the flap between his coach, Mike Leach, and his words about Mangini concerning WR Michael Crabtree had no bearing on his decision to come to Cleveland.
  • Trojan Power: It has been said that sometimes USC’s practices were more competitive than their games and LB Kaluka Maiava wouldn’t dispute that. “We had very competitive, up-tempo practices,” he said. “It will only help me to better.

Guest Aloysius

According to theOBR, OG Marlon Davis and WR Jordan Norwood were the two UDFA's that stood out. Both were described as being explosive off the snap, with Norwood receiving additional praise for his soft hands and big league athleticism. Sounds like both of those guys were great pickups.

It's impossible to know what these reports mean and though it's a bit silly to get excited about the first day of rookie mini-camp, it's hard not to feel like there's been a real paradigm shift in the Browns universe.

I get the feel from the reports that even this first practice was high energy, guys seem to feel good.

Real or not, it's nice to feel like there's something HAPPENING in Berea right now.

Man, I hate summer. Is it fall yet?

I was thinking last night that Mo Mas must have impressed the hell out of Mancock when they brought him in for the last minute workout. I loved his interview on the radio and they must have thought highly of him to take him right after Robiskie like that, like too good to pass up type stuff. Who wants to bet both he and Robo are better pros than Heyward-Bey?

After watching this little Norwood on video man I gotta say I'm quite intrigued by him. To me, he looks like a much more explosive slot guy than Steptoe.

Best believe Harrell is there for real. If he looks decent enough as a project that could help trigger a Dexter trade and make him our number three.

Mangini said James Davis got "oohs" and "aahs" for his decisive cuts. He's known for that, being called both a "one cut" and "cutback" runner. My gut says we'll like this guy a lot if he can work really hard on his pass blocking.

What I like about the Davis pick is there is no character problems or injury history that I'm aware of ... he was just unfortunate to have been surrounded by a sucky offense.

We've had our share of Madre Hill's and Ben Gay's that we are all guilty of getting excited about ... but they were pipe dreams. This guys has "meaningful contributor" written all over him.

If he commits to the pass blocking he will be headed for a nice career. There's not a lot of bodies between him and the feature back job. And NFL teams can go through those bodies quickly.

Zombo

Ive seen enough footage of davis to know he was a draft steal if there is a hole to hit he will hit it with authority and cut for extra yards he is going to be a fantastic ball control piece and short yardage back...;)

from pft:

CLEVELAND BROWNS SATURDAY MINICAMP REPORT

Posted by Aaron Wilson on May 2, 2009, 12:55 p.m. EDT

Here’s a look at the Cleveland Browns’ rookie minicamp, in One-Liner style.

Rookie WR Brian Robiskie had to run a lap after dropping a punt, a sign of the changing atmosphere under new coach Eric Mangini.

The Browns will have officials at every practice to emphasize avoiding penalties and will track penalties for the entire season.

Former Texas Tech QB Graham Harrell, who’s trying out for the Browns this weekend, didn’t have as much zip on his throws as Richard Bartel.

Second-round OLB David Veikune drew praise from Eric Mangini for his agility and aggressiveness in practice drills as he transitions from defensive end.

First-round C Alex Mack said he’s ready to roll up his sleeves and get to work after being drafted 18th overall.

(click through for the links in each line)

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/05/02/...inicamp-report/

Do you think he will be like a Lee Suggs and disappear quickly?

Lee Suggs disappeared because of injury problems,not because of talent problems. He couldn't stay healthy.

Then again, they got Suggs because he was coming off an injury and fell in the draft. That isn't the case here.

I will add this report from Doerschuk here......

By Steve Doerschuk

CantonRep.com staff report

Posted May 02, 2009 @ 05:24 PM

Last update May 02, 2009 @ 09:22 PM

BEREA —

Joshua Cribbs was one of two Browns veterans selected to address about 40 rookies at an evening function Head Coach Eric Mangini called “one of my favorite days of the year.”

Cribbs has made the same strong impression on the new regime as he did on the previous one. Mangini is openly entertaining the question: What can Cribbs be given to do that the previous regime did not explore?

Cribbs hasn’t played a down of defense in his four seasons with the Browns, but he has been digesting the system being installed by Mangini.

“I owe him a quiz,” Mangini said with a provocative smile. “He says he’s got a couple of the defenses down cold. ... We’ll see.”

Cribbs chose Kent State University because its head coach, Dean Pees, told him he could play his favorite position — quarterback. By 2005, when Cribbs was fighting to make the Browns as an undrafted rookie, Pees was a defensive assistant with the New England Patriots. The Patriots’ defensive coordinator was Mangini.

Pees believed Cribbs could have been an elite corner or safety in college. He said so during last year’s Super Bowl after he had taken over as New England’s defensive coordinator.

Now, a month short of his 26th birthday, Cribbs is getting his most extensive audition as a defensive player.

“We’re not sure whether he’ll be exclusively on offense or exclusively on defense or a little bit of both,” Mangini said.

The other current player who spoke to the rookies Saturday was Kamerion Wimbley. That was the first indication Mangini sees Wimbley, a 2006 Round 1 pick, as a vital part of the roster.

What did Mangini ask Cribbs and Wimbley to say?

“It’s more about the spirit of football,” Mangini said. “Why we play football, appreciating all the people who have come before them.”

A few bottom-of-the-roster players who finished 2008 affiliated with Romeo Crennel’s Browns practiced Saturday. They included Lance Leggett, Melila Purcell and Kurt Quarterman.

Otherwise, the weekend practice were for rookies, including a large group that treated it like a Super Bowl. They were players invited in for a three-day tryout.

Two of them, Jerry Major of Wake Forest and Michael Waddell of North Carolina, were crammed into a single locker, under laminated paper name tags, between the unoccupied stalls of veterans Shaun Rogers and Robaire Smith.

The most notable change in the locker room, perhaps, is Brady Quinn’s new stall. In the previous two seasons, Quinn’s perch was just inside the locker room entrance, a few feet from Derek Anderson’s.

Now, Quinn’s stall has moved to a place where he and Anderson can’t see each other unless they peek around a corner.

From his new digs, Quinn can look across the isle and look straight into Braylon Edwards’ eyes.

--------------

Cribbs has made the same strong impression on the new regime as he did on the previous one. Mangini is openly entertaining the question: What can Cribbs be given to do that the previous regime did not explore?

Pees believed Cribbs could have been an elite corner or safety in college. He said so during last year’s Super Bowl after he had taken over as New England’s defensive coordinator.

Do you know who had the idea of making Troy Brown the Patriots nickel back when their secondary was decimated by injuries (and made it happen)? Yep. It was the current HC of the Browns. I like it.

I know that Ed and myself have felt Cribbs could be a terrific safety for some time.

I am anxious to see how that works out.

My question regarding this has always been how exactly do you use him there?

This guy is a great return man and could be a huge addition to the offense if this staff figures out how to utilize him correctly. He's the best we have at covering kicks and one of the best if not the best overall special teamers in the league.

He is not a straight up wide out or slot guy, it's just not natural for him and doesn't fully utilize his unique abilities. I want to see him lined up in the backfield and as a wingback type or in two back sets. This guy can drive defenses nuts if used correctly and players like Harrison could truly prosper.

Are we going to lose him at ST's or offense by converting him to safety? He certainly can't be expected to do it all because ST's take a lot out of a player's stamina. Would he be a situational guy on defense? If so, what situations is he used in, dime sets?

I just don't see how he can be used on defense without taking away from the rest of his game, and I'm not just talking about hail mary sets.

First, most guys don't stay kick returners for the duration of their career if you want them to be around more than 4-5 years. Sooner or later Cribbs needs to get away from that.

I know Cribbs has been a guy we want on offense, but the bottom line is something is keeping him for doing that. I suspect his hands just aren't up to NFL standard. If catching the ball is a issue with the guy, then he isn't going to be a viable offensive option.

How do we use him on D?? Call him a safety, work him as a safety, and make him play that position if he wants to be more than a kick retirner.

Cribbs has more than enough speed for the position. You don't have to have the same cover skills as a corner(which he doesn't, though I bet he is pretty good) and he is a proven, sure tackler who isn't afraid to lay a lick and stick his body in to the scrum.

You just see him as a offensive player. If you forget all of that and start thinking of him as a defensive player, I think you will warm up to the idea as well.

Let me ask you this...what about him makes you think he can't be a solid defensive player??

I don't want to hear about how you think he would be better on O...tell me why he can't play D??

First, most guys don't stay kick returners for the duration of their career if you want them to be around more than 4-5 years. Sooner or later Cribbs needs to get away from that.

I know Cribbs has been a guy we want on offense, but the bottom line is something is keeping him for doing that. I suspect his hands just aren't up to NFL standard. If catching the ball is a issue with the guy, then he isn't going to be a viable offensive option.

How do we use him on D?? Call him a safety, work him as a safety, and make him play that position if he wants to be more than a kick retirner.

Cribbs has more than enough speed for the position. You don't have to have the same cover skills as a corner(which he doesn't, though I bet he is pretty good) and he is a proven, sure tackler who isn't afraid to lay a lick and stick his body in to the scrum.

You just see him as a offensive player. If you forget all of that and start thinking of him as a defensive player, I think you will warm up to the idea as well.

Let me ask you this...what about him makes you think he can't be a solid defensive player??

I don't want to hear about how you think he would be better on O...tell me why he can't play D??

I have no doubts he can play defense effectively and my buddy who coached against him at Akron thinks he can also. My point is this: Is he going to be that much better than the next guy to justify playing him fulltime at safety? Say he were to become a starter there, do you think he would play anywhere else at that point? If he doesn't, he better be Pro Bowl caliber or better to take him away from everything else he does.

As I said, he hasn't been used correctly on offense yet. He does have suspect hands and is not the best route runner. I want him used where he gets the ball in space and on misdirections etc. Just having him lined up in the backfield or wingback creates all kinds of havoc on a defense. In my mind his impact on an offense and ST's is potentially much greater than on defense over the long haul.

His abilities have turned fans into expecting him to be superman and there is only so much one guy can do, this isn't high school. Right now, his talents are on ST's and offense, especially if this staff uses him more effectively than RAC 'n ROLLS did.

I love thinking about offensive sets with the following:

QB Quinn

RB Harrison

Hybrid Wingback/Tailback Cribbs

WR Edwards, Robiskie

TE Royal and or Rucker

LT Thomas

LG Steinbach

C Mack

RG Tucker

RT camp winner

That's explosive with all kinds of possibilities. Edwards and Robo could stretch the field and let Harrison and Cribbs get turned loose in the intermediate or the TE is sitting free in the middle of the field. For whatever reason the talk has died regarding Cribbs on offense over the offseason but Mangini is not stupid, he has to have major plans for Harrison and Cribbs. You could also substitute the TE with a slot guy like Patten or Norwood to wreak more havoc on defenses with that set. Plus, Quinn is not an immobile imbecile that throws the ball immediately to his first progression without letting a play develop like a certain Oregonite. They can be great relief valves as Quinn creates time with his escapability.

This can potentially be a dynamic offense this year and Cribbs could be a huge part of it. I understand that the kick return thing is not forever, but he certainly isn't ready to relinquish that yet.

If he becomes a good but not all-pro safety...that is better than being a all-pro special teamer.

JMO

Plus...just because he played D doesn't mean he couldn't return a kick or cover a punt.

If he was on the starting D, I would rather him not covering kicks...why sprint him 60 yards, then line him up on D the next play.

Good stuff.

Davis really shouldn't be a surprise...he has been quick to the hole for a while...we really haven't had a back like him since possibly Byner back in the day.

I don't usually get gaga over rookies, especially late round picks, but this guy could gain 1200 yards for us this year if given the carries.

I will be shocked if Davis isn't by year end our #1 back.

I know we have seen vids before, but this was was pretty good IMO. It gives a good idea of Davis' burst to the hole and his ability to make a quick cut to break it loose.

That one is pretty sweet. You can look at the helmets, and if you let the imagination wander just a bit, you can see that in a Browns uniform.

Those navy blue stripes aren't hard to imagine in brown. :)

Shep said what I thought. "How is this kid there for the Browns to draft the second day?"

You have to smile at his instincts as a rb, an Ernest Byner comparison doesn't seem far-fetched at all.

He looks far more elusive in the open field than most would imagine a rb drafted so late could do, I think.

Brilliant choice, and lucky he was there. Seems like a kid who will be labeled a huge steal for the Browns.

Gotta love it.

With all the science, it still happens. Kids still get drafted way later than their talent suggests and it always confuses me. There's a Who's Not list of backs drafted ahead of this guys and, again... I don't get it. Right size, right speed, explosive, natural cutback runner... how is that available in round 6?

But it happens every damn year.

It does indeed happen....nice to see it happen to the Browns this time..or so it seems.

Mike

- The Browns are thrilled not only with Robiskie and Massoquai, but also Jordan Norwood. Based on what he showed over the weekend -- explosive speed and quickness and great hands -- Norwood could very well make the team as a slot receiver. Steptoe better get a realtor.

I figured I would just let Norwood go out and prove himself rather than me being a homer just because he is from PSU. I dont like pimping guys just because they are from my school of interest, but it is refreshing to know the kid went out and impressed. I think he would be perfect for the slot. The kid made many, many tough catches and despite his size, he is not afraid to go across the middle and take a hit.

I would love to see them break camp with Robo, Mass, Edwards, Patten and Norwood.

I figured I would just let Norwood go out and prove himself rather than me being a homer just because he is from PSU. I dont like pimping guys just because they are from my school of interest, but it is refreshing to know the kid went out and impressed. I think he would be perfect for the slot. The kid made many, many tough catches and despite his size, he is not afraid to go across the middle and take a hit.

I would love to see them break camp with Robo, Mass, Edwards, Patten and Norwood.

Let's don't go overboard. The kid was a undrafted FA for a reason. He will have to compete with and beat out Steptoe, Hubbard, Drew Bennett, Devale Ellis, Leggett and the other UDFAs for the last WR spot on the roster, because you forgot to mention Cribbs as the #5 guy. I'd be looking for Norwood as a practice squad guy at this point. Maybe he has a great camp but I don't see them cutting all those veterans to keep him.

Guest 88fingerslewy
I didn't get why he wasn't a first day pick at least.
I think that scouts and personel people can get TOO focused on combine, pro-day, team visit numbers, season stats instead of watching film or actually seeing them play. When Mike Mayock has any opinion on a player that doesn't jive with someone else on the panel, he just says "look at the film on this kid."

It's becoming pretty clear that Manko wanted character and actual players. Not combine olympians.

They look like they did their homework by the sounds of things.

Archived