THE BROWNS BOARD

People in history you would've liked to meet

marcus

I did this in college once as a group discussion once. I figured it would break the monotony of this forum and maybe spark debate in a different realm. So gang, what's your top ten?

Mine is:

1. Jesus Christ

2. Julius Ceasar

3. John F. Kennedy

4. Mahatma Gandhi

5. Martin Luther King Jr.

6. Guy Fawkes

7. Malcolm X

8. Frederick Douglass

9. Bruce Lee

10. Prince

This list could be much longer but I thought 10 would be a good stopping point.

Jesus, Abe Lincoln, Isaac Newton, Moses, MLK Jr, Napoleon, Hitler, Henry Ford, Muhammad, and Julius Caesar

Hitler is an interesting one. Why him?

He's one of the most influential people of the 20th century, I just think it'd be interesting to understand his mind and thought process.

He's one of the most influential people of the 20th century, I just think it'd be interesting to understand his mind and thought process.

I was thinking along the same lines. Another interesting one would've been Colonel Claus Stauffenberg.

Dinner with Hitler and we'd probably be told shit we would never ever ever hear from the people who run this world. WW2 was about far more than just ze germans not liking the chosen folk. This goes back to the days prior to ww1 and Hitler understood this. But it was best for the west to just be fed the narrative of some jew hating monster who couldn't hack it in art school. It was more complicated than that. Not saying you'd come away loving the guy but you'd probably intrinsically understand this world on a different level if you spoke with someone like him. The black and white narratives would fade away.

Red Skelton

Pres Reagan

Walt Disney

John Wayne

George Washington Carver

Daniel Boone

Arthur Conan Doyle, author

Joseph Campbell, author

Franklin W. Dixon, author

Chief Dan George, actor (favorite - Outlaw Josey Wales)

Regan almost made my top ten. One of our most fascinating Presidents.

Dinner with Hitler and we'd probably be told shit we would never ever ever hear from the people who run this world. WW2 was about far more than just ze germans not liking the chosen folk. This goes back to the days prior to ww1 and Hitler understood this. But it was best for the west to just be fed the narrative of some jew hating monster who couldn't hack it in art school. It was more complicated than that. Not saying you'd come away loving the guy but you'd probably intrinsically understand this world on a different level if you spoke with someone like him. The black and white narratives would fade away.

Hitler wasn't a bad guy, just misunderstood? Is that really what you're going with?

Ofc not. But the circumstances surrounding him are not as black and white as we were told

I think Cleve is interested in finding out what all led his thought processes that ultimately led to so many deaths. Probably how he was able to get such buy in in such a short period of time as well.

I think Cleve is interested in finding out what all led his thought processes that ultimately led to so many deaths. Probably how he was able to get such buy in in such a short period of time as well.

Yes marcus thank you, thats dead on the money right. Ive read from certain sources that in actuality the getmans may have been more in the right during ww1. But then after taking it in the ass for 20 years the nazi party was more like a revenge tour and no, those guys were fucked up. Wanting to talk to adolf is not so much to hear his justifications but just what true details were that led to ww1 and then subsequently ww2.

Yes marcus thank you, thats dead on the money right. Ive read from certain sources that in actuality the getmans may have been more in the right during ww1. But then after taking it in the ass for 20 years the nazi party was more like a revenge tour and no, those guys were fucked up. Wanting to talk to adolf is not so much to hear his justifications but just what true details were that led to ww1 and then subsequently ww2.

WW1 definitely didn't have a clear "bad guy" , unlike WW2 where the axis side is pretty much universally considered the "bad guy" because of the whole holocaust thing.

I mean in ww1 you had people raping civilians and killing children and stuff, but that was both sides. People always consider Germany the bad guy in ww1 because of ww2 I think - which wasn't the case.

Battlefield 1 was cool because I like the realistic/somewhat historically accurate war games more than the ones where you can run on walls and stuff, but I was disappointed they only had stories revolving around the allies powers - the axis stories would have been equally interesting.

The Germans were unfairly reamed up the ass after ww1. Some consider the allied powers the bad guys in ww1 because of how they crippled the germans (partially leading to ww2) and that's the time when we learned there was an abundance of oil in the middle east and decided we wanted to do whatever it takes to get it - which has had many devastating repercussions since that time.

Some of the people I would probably put on my list I might not want to actually find out about. Like I said we canonize Our Heroes and I would be fearful of being disappointed that they are just regular human beings or even kind of assholes.

WSS

That's very true and kind of what I found out about the Kennedy's after completing my research of the family. While I still feel as Jack was one our best Presidents he certainly was not a model husband and consequently father. So I can see it as an easy way to sour on key figures in history.

Jesus biological dad

Well played...

Os, I forgot about JRR Tolkein. He was brilliant, too. He'd rank right up there with Campbell.

The 'modern-era' author who probably had the single biggest influence on me. The Hobbit was the first novel I can remember reading and I call it my gateway drug to the world of sci-fi and fantasy as a reader, and eventually a writer.

The 'modern-era' author who probably had the single biggest influence on me. The Hobbit was the first novel I can remember reading and I call it my gateway drug to the world of sci-fi and fantasy as a reader, and eventually a writer.

Yep. Lord of the Rings was most certainly a milestone in my development. I read it before I read The Hobbit because of mister Tolkien's suggestion.

Bill I've read Lord of the Rings somewhere close to or slightly over 20 times I have never been able to get through the Silmarillion.

WSS

Yep. Lord of the Rings was most certainly a milestone in my development. I read it before I read The Hobbit because of mister Tolkien's suggestion.

Bill I've read Lord of the Rings somewhere close to or slightly over 20 times I have never been able to get through the Silmarillion.

WSS

Found the whole story extremely boring, just like the movies.

Archived