THE BROWNS BOARD

Senior Bowl... Practices and Game on NFL Network

Tour2ma

Started this afternoon with Browns staff and the South squad. North and Bears staff is on now.

Practices will fill the next two afternoons with the game on Saturday. Also there's a hour-long, Day in Review each evening. Check your local listings.

I picked today's action up about mid-session with varying OL/DL drills followed by 11-on-11. Here are a couple South kids who "flashed"...

OL

• Forest Lamp OG Western KY... great hands/arms... delivered blow after blow neutralizing any DL they put across from him. Great knee bend form as well. Was only beaten once in individual drills.
  • Ethan Pocic C LSU... really athletic looking and stayed low enough to gain leverage at 6'6. Feet are very good and in a twist of fate they were good enough to have Mayock wondering aloud if RT is not his ultimate positions at the next level.

DL

• Deshon Hall... "the other" TAMU DE... dipped and ripped inside against two different OTs, really quick off the line. The only DL I saw the staff regularly give the OT an immediate rematch on because he made them look so bad initially. They generally did not fair better in the rematches.
  • Montravius Adams DT Auburn ... true strong man, but also very explosive at the snap. At 308 he threw a spin move at an OG that was ballet-worthy. Also collapsed a pocket in the 11-on-11.
  • Tanoh Kpassagnon DE Vilanova... say that fast five times... looks a tad lean, at 6'8 280, but cat quick and gave some fits to OTs with his length and good hands.

Skill

• O.J. Howard led a trio of nice looking TEs in the 11-on-11 drills... very fluid.
  • Josh Dobbs QB TN...poised in the 11-on-11 with good pocket movement and a strong arm. Easily the best I saw today throwing.
  • Gerald Everett TE South AL... broke the biggest gainer in the 11-on-11... undersized, fast TE that turned heads.

Disappointments

• Carlos Watkins DT Clemson... basically did nothing after looking like a force in the Nat Champ game. Needs to pick it up tomorrow or he'll wish he stayed home with his QB.
  • Dalvin Tomlinson DT BAMA... not impressive... another BAMA part < his % of the whole?

North team is on now...

Forest "Gump" Lamp from any part of Tucky has got to talk some fluid Gump with them arms. But, Please Mayock, can we stop with the guy could play any OL position :o. Deshon "who'sMyles?" Hall got my game tape attention. Best Hue group looks like 3 big solid TE's in OJ Howard,Gerald Everett & Evan Engram.Lets see who can block .WR's-UNC-Ryan Switzer & Clemson- Artavis Scott, both can stop on a dime & dig back to QB nicely. Just wish it was Watson & not Dobbs at QB at this point..Last Live Action..To many rules apply to private workouts. Combine they can do what they want..Where we can only Hope. That he Throws..

Pretty damn good... emerging from "the shadow"...

Forest "Gump" Lamp from any part of Tucky has got to talk some fluid Gump with them arms. But, Please Mayock, can we stop with the guy could play any OL position :o. Deshon "who'sMyles?" Hall got my game tape attention. Best Hue group looks like 3 big solid TE's in OJ Howard,Gerald Everett & Evan Engram.Lets see who can block .WR's-UNC-Ryan Switzer & Clemson- Artavis Scott, both can stop on a dime & dig back to QB nicely. Just wish it was Watson & not Dobbs at QB at this point..Last Live Action..To many rules apply to private workouts. Combine they can do what they want..Where we can only Hope. That he Throws..

I think Mike's point was Lamp could play anywhere, but his arm length (31" IIRC) says inside will be his best position.

OJH was the consensus player of the day by the crew. Nice interview with him... nice kid...

Among the North WRs yesterday Cooper Kupp (Eastern Washington) really popped. At 6'2 198 he moved like a mini-slot guy. He really exposed Des King's lack of speed on a go route, threw a triple-move out on another CB (I think it was WVU's Douglas) that broke ankles and a quick slant that left a third one in the dust. He put on quite a show and earned a face time interview with the broadcast crew. His enthusiasm was palpable.

Moton, OG/OT is in the senior bowl. Draft him, Browns. Lamp is terrific, but Moton is bigger and stronger, and also has quick feet.

IIRC he was working LT in the drills. Easy mover with fledgling tech, but only saw DL try, and fail, to get by his outside. I'll look for more.

DAY 2...

Bad News - Lamp is out of practice today and will likely miss the game with a high-ankle sprain he suffered early Day 1. Made his Day 1 performance even more impressive. Going to miss watching him, but since he was likely going to go too high for us to consider, I can focus on other interior OL.

Good news - I found another interior OL... Dion Dawkins out of Temple. Looked really good in the North's drills including being the only OL to anchor in the face of 350# USC DT Stevie T... if you want the full name it's Stevie Tu’ikolovatu... just be glad we already have Danny. Anyways... Dawkins is a projected 2/3 round cusp prospect per NFLDraftScout, which has now updated its rankings with all declared underclassmen.

General note: North worked out first; South is on now. There' little comparison between the two practices. Hue's looks much faster, much more physical. The latter in no small part to our new DC. His tackle in every practice approach is front and center. Basically it is every defender "pops" the RB every running play

OL

• Already mentioned Dawkins above. He really stood out today.
  • Tyler Orlovsky C WVU - had a good day today... when he wasn't paired with Stevie T.
  • Taylor Moton OT Westerm Michigan - very easy mover, looks like he's playing at a slower speed because he's so calm, limbs so quiet, but he's always in position. Has real inside-out tech, but no one tried his inside so I'm not sure he was really tested. Mayock thinks he's a potential starting RT who might slide inside in a pinch.
  • Antonio Garcia OT Troy - had a good day today working at LT. Don't think he's a LT at the next level, but he looks to have some promise.
  • Robert Leff OT Auburn - when a door closes... Leff, a UDFA projected OT, took Lamp's spot on the squad and did not look out of place in the drills at RT.

DL - South squad DL's had a much better Day 2 as a whole vs. their Day 1. I suspect Williamson might have had something to do with that.

• Dalvin Tomlinson DT BAMA - was really getting off the ball today.
  • Carlos Watkins DT Clemson - ditto... looked much more like the player we saw in the Nat Champ game.
  • Josh Caraway DE TCU - undersized DE destined to stand up in the NFL showed great speed and agility in drills.

Skill - no real poppers today save one... Obi Melifonwu S Connecticut. DraftScout has him as a R4/5 cusp SS... At 6'4 219 he showed range that made me think FS. Color me intrigued...

There were a couple other CBs that looked damn good, but I was cooking and did not write down their names...

DAY 2...Tyler Orlovsky C WVU - had a good day today... when he wasn't paired with Stevie T.

Grow'em odd at USC. Stevie T. is a 6'1 350 lbs butterball turkey at DT. USC OT (#73 of course) Zach Banner is 6'8" 361lbs. both from USC on north..Does Orlosky at C look best to you at position? he's C size at 6'3" but only 292lbs for now. Pocic is another tall C at 6'6" with concerning pad levels, but the dude has shown no nasty in 2 days imo..maybe Saturday will bring it out .But don't look here for a C? & get well John Greco & Reiter

Grow'em odd at USC. Stevie T. is a 6'1 350 lbs butterball turkey at DT. USC OT (#73 of course) Zach Banner is 6'8" 361lbs. both from USC on north..Does Orlosky at C look best to you at position? he's C size at 6'3" but only 292lbs for now. Pocic is another tall C at 6'6" with concerning pad levels, but the dude has shown no nasty in 2 days imo..maybe Saturday will bring it out .But don't look here for a C? & get well John Greco & Reiter

Orlosky isn't the best so far... that's probably Pocic whose pad level was not an issue in the 1-on-1's or at C in the full squad segments. Oddly, however, it became an issue when he worked at LG in the full session.

Just finished off today's tape and if we are going interior OL, then I'm close to being all in on Dawkins.

I like Watkins almost as much as I do Allen. Would not surprise me to see him go really high in the 2nd or maybe even late 1st depending how he does in the practices and the combine.

Not only that, if the Browns do play a lot of 4-3, they would NEED a DT.

Right now they got Shelton...and not much else. Maybe Meder steps in at DT, Maybe Des Bryant. (Gabe Wright? Nile Lawrence-Stample?)

Agree...do not discount the chance they could go Watkins at top of round 2.

Just in case anybody is interested the two January 21 all star games scores and other information like which players helped themselves out and other piles of stats are available on the COLLEGE FOOTBALL FORUM.

The Senior Bowl is this weekend.

Daniel Jeremiah not too impressed with this year's QB's. Called them a "disappointment".

Kinda my take on the general level of talent this year... maybe a couple at each position and then a lot of meh...

Kinda my take on the general level of talent this year... maybe a couple at each position and then a lot of meh...

That figures the BROWNS are stacked with picks, maybe they'll find a few sleepers or 7th round starting QBs.

That's why I picked the lucky 7th even though all of those QBs are retired and one will be soon. ;)

...I thought one of my favorites Johnny U. was picked later.

After college, the Pittsburgh Steelers of the NFL drafted Unitas in the ninth round. However, Unitas was released before the season began as the odd man out among four quarterbacks trying to fill three spots. Steelers Head Coach Walt Kiesling had made up his mind about Unitas; he thought he was not smart enough to quarterback an NFL team.....

That figures the BROWNS are stacked with picks, maybe they'll find a few sleepers or 7th round starting QBs.

Just to be sure I was clear... I was talking about the Sr. Bowl attendees, not the overall draft. I presumed Daniel Jerimiah was doing the same about QBs, but maybe he wasn't.

Just to be sure I was clear... I was talking about the Sr. Bowl attendees, not the overall draft. I presumed Daniel Jerimiah was doing the same about QBs, but maybe he wasn't.

DJ in his first mock draft doesn't have the Browns taking a QB in the first round. But he did have us taking Cook from FSU with #12 which is surprising.

DJ in his first mock draft doesn't have the Browns taking a QB in the first round. But he did have us taking Cook from FSU with #12 which is surprising.

In NFLDraftScout's initial rankings they have tabbed Cook as their #1 RB ahead of Fournette and the #5 overall player in the draft. I don't see us picking him at 12, but on a pure BPA basis his pick certainly would not be out of place, if the ranking is warranted.

This just in... I'm apparently not the only one who saw Dobbs flash in his Sr. Bowl practice...

Senior Bowl Notebook: Pitt's Peterman, Vols' Dobbs Lead a Surprising QB Class

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2689260-senior-bowl-notebook-pitts-peterman-vols-dobbs-lead-a-surprising-qb-class

Who's telling Gregg Williams you can't blitz in this game? I still like the Defensive talent when the live bullets fly Saturday, not the QB's..

No he was talking about the overall class of QB's this year.

In NFLDraftScout's initial rankings they have tabbed Cook as their #1 RB ahead of Fournette and the #5 overall player in the draft. I don't see us picking him at 12, but on a pure BPA basis his pick certainly would not be out of place, if the ranking is warranted.

Right...no question that he has talent. I would just be surprised with us taking a RB in the first round. Also...as far as draft "experts" go. For my money...guys like DJ and Mike Mayock are the one's who's opinion I respect the most.

I would just be surprised with us taking a RB in the first round.

#12 if i had 2 guesses #1.we try to move up with no takers, due to talent on board. #2. we trade down, trying to get another #1 in 2018 in a real NFL QB Draft Class. DJ welcome to Camp Don't reach on MTrib.

That is true plus those three all star games are now more like 100% NFL workouts supervised and coached by current or former NFL coaches and players.

Used to be way back when the games were more about a reward for a good college career with NFL scouts in the stands....now it is more like serious business, and with computers and the Internet almost NOBODY gets missed.

The NFL sure has it made with the NCAA being it's minor leagues.

....oh and two of my YSU Penguins are playing Saturday.

Archived