THE BROWNS BOARD

Mangini Mini-Camp Presser from May 2nd (VIDEO)

Guest Aloysius

Interesting that Mangini said they've been looking at Veikune first at inside linebacker, though they'd like for him to be versatile enough to play both. He noted that it's an easier transition for a college DE to move to OLB, so it's both revealing that Mangini would want him to try ILB first and positive that the team liked how he adjusted.

Also, Mangini completely dismissed the idea of moving Maiava to safety (sorry, OldCrow).

Interesting that Mangini said they've been looking at Veikune first at inside linebacker, though they'd like for him to be versatile enough to play both. He noted that it's an easier transition for a college DE to move to OLB, so it's both revealing that Mangini would want him to try ILB first and positive that the team liked how he adjusted.

Also, Mangini completely dismissed the idea of moving Maiava to safety (sorry, OldCrow).

One out of two ain't bad. I've said since day one that Veikune would be a better fit inside. Not many , if any, on this board agreed with me.

And it's not only Veikune's play that made me think this way. I think Bowens, Hall, Wimbley and possibly Maiava make the OLB more stable and in need of less help than the inside where this team is really weak. Besides Jackson and 11 year vet Eric Barton and possibly Bell there is not much else there as far as quality MLB's. I tend to think Mangini will see the inside as a bigger need.

Guest Aloysius

Well, Mangini said that he'd like Veikune to play both positions, so it's more like one-half out of two...still ain't bad ;)

Guest Aloysius

Yeah, that was a pretty good call. I wonder how much Mangini's experience playing Bowens at ILB last year factored into his projection of Veikune to the same position. As far as I can tell, Bowens was exclusively a DE-OLB before starting a couple games at ILB last year.

Veikune definitely fits the role of the physical, "dirty work" guy you want working next to D'Qwell. And like Bowens, he's a guy who could have success rushing from that ILB spot.

While we were all tossing around names like Jasper Brinkley, Frantz Joseph, et al, Mangini may have pulled a rabbit out of the hat.

I hope I'm as impressed in the Fall as I am now.

-Al

Archived