THE BROWNS BOARD

Hey, Tony (Grossi's Opinions on Browns)

Hey, Tony: Tony Grossi answers your Cleveland Browns questions

by Tony Grossi/Plain Dealer Reporter

Saturday May 02, 2009, 11:35 PM

large_gharrellto.jpg

Former Texas Tech Graham Harrell's arrival to Browns minicamp has sparked the imagination of more than a few fans. But Tony Grossi warns against getting too emamored with the former college star.

Hey, Tony: I'm having a debate with some of my friends. My understanding of contract holdouts is that if the team that drafted you can't get you to cut a deal, you cannot sign with another team until the next season. Everyone else seems to think that if a player isn't signed before the season starts, they can sign with anyone. Of course, if I'm right, I don't know why teams usually cave with holdouts.-- Jared Pelcic, Wellington.

Hey, Jared: A drafted player remains the "property" of the team that drafted him until the day before the next draft. If he never signs, the player re-enters the draft the following year.

Hey, Tony: Are you surprised that the Browns passed up on Rey Maualuga with their second-round pick? I think he would have looked good in a Browns uniform. Now we have to see him twice a year in a Bengals uniform. -- Anthony R., Phoenix.

Hey, Anthony: Surprised they passed on him? No. There was no indication Eric Mangini coveted Maualuga. The fact Maualuga turned down an invitation to visit the Browns because of a prior commitment before the draft surely did not help him. Maualuga is no choir boy, to be sure, and his past transgressions certainly don't fit the profile of the players Mangini ultimately drafted. The knock on Maualuga as a player is that he is too aggressive and overruns a lot of plays, and also may not fit in the NFL on third downs.

Hey, Tony: Two questions: 1.) What did you think of Mike Leach calling out Eric Mangini? 2.) How would you rate the first Mangini/Kokinis draft on a scale of complete failure to extremely disappointing? -- Joe Cepec, Columbus.

Hey, Joe: 1. Leach was out of line in his comments about Mangini. 2. The first Mangini draft failed to produce an impact player on defense, and that counts the two Jets defensive players obtained in the trade. That was disappointing. Also, the team failed to maximize its position in each of its three trades down in the first round.

medium_brownedwardsme.jpg

One fan's interest in a Braylon Edwards-Sheldon Brown (right) deal with the Eagles got less than rave reviews from Tony.

Hey, Tony: What are the chances of trading Braylon Edwards for Sheldon Brown (Eagles CB) straight up, and do you think this would be a good trade for both parties? Do you think the fans' reaction to Brady Quinn trade rumors had any affect on the new management team keeping him? I like Jerome Harrison a lot and think he can help this team tremendously if given the chance that the previous regime failed to provide him. Will Mangini know how to use him properly? -- Travis Chappie, Charleston, S.C.

Hey, Travis: Quite frankly, the trade you propose is ridiculous. Edwards is a first-round offensive playmaker who hasn't touched his potential yet. Brown is an average cornerback approaching 30. Yes, I do believe the fans' negative reaction to the Brady Quinn trade rumors had an effect on ownership, more than anything else. Harrison could benefit from the coaching change. Mangini doesn't get a lot of credit for being creative on offense. I assume he will attempt to exploit Harrison more than the previous coach.

Hey, Tony: What are the chances that the Browns might be interested in Seattle LB Leroy Hill now that the franchise tag has been lifted and he is a free agent? -- Rick DeBacco, Novelty, Ohio.

Hey, Rick: The Seahawks are in the process of re-signing Hill.

Hey, Tony: I heard you and a few other writers say, "The Browns better hope Sanchez does not go to the Jets and be great." However, the week before I heard several people say if the Browns trade Quinn they better hope he does not go somewhere else and be great. They lose either way with that kind of logic. Do you like what they did in the end with the QB situation? -- Michael Spitale, Galena, Ohio.

Hey, Michael: My point after the draft was the Browns did not maximize their trade opportunities. The Jets should have had to pay a premium for Sanchez. Instead, Mangini gave them a discount. Further, it was my contention that bringing back both Derek Anderson and Quinn would be counterproductive. Moreover, the inclusion of Brett Ratliff in the Jets trade throws another new face into the mix. One Internet site already has opined that Mangini will ultimately decide on Ratliff as the starting quarterback. I don't necessarily agree with that, but it wouldn't surprise me if Ratliff's role is larger than anyone presently suspects.

Hey, Tony: I heard the name Graham Harrell mentioned as a QB candidate. What info do you have on him? Is he a longshot to make the team? -- Anthony DeMatteis, Hamden, Conn.

Hey, Anthony: Somebody's got to throw the passes in rookie minicamp, right? Please, don't get overly excited about undrafted free agents. I've seen Heisman Trophy winners -- Harrell was a finalist -- not even be drafted and never play in the NFL.

Hey, Tony: We Browns fans here in Northern Virginia feel that Braylon Edwards after his All-Pro season was deliberately dropping passes last year to get traded. Why don't you and your sports writer compatriots see it? -- Alan Fojt, Manassas, Va.

Hey, Alan: I must need a new pair of contact lenses.

Hey, Tony: Thomas Jones is unhappy with the Jets and last season put up Pro Bowl numbers including 1,300 yards and 13 TDs. The Jets drafted Shonn Greene and already have Leon Washington. Any chance the Jets release Jones and he becomes the next Cleveland Jet? A two-headed monster pounding the rock in Cleveland would be a welcome sight. -- Aaron Howell, Canton.

Hey, Aaron: Rex Ryan knows that Mangini would scoop up Jones in a New York second if Jones were released. More likely is a future trade involving Jones and, yes, Edwards. You heard it here first.

Hey, Tony: Has the organization gotten any closer to naming a wide receivers coach? And I'm sure you know the follow-up now, is there any chance that Terry Robiskie comes back to fill that role? -- Mike Hollingsworth, Euclid.

Hey, Mike: Mangini has not named a receivers coach, but it's likely the position will be shared by offensive coordinator Brian Daboll and George McDonald, offensive quality control coach. Robiskie is happily employed with the Atlanta Falcons.

Hey, Tony: All we heard was that it was all but impossible to trade down from the top five draft positions, but that would be the Browns' best play. The Browns didn't make the greatest deal, but managed to pull it off, and now they are getting beaten up in the press. Your perspective? -- Fred, New York.

Hey, Fred: My only quibble is they failed to maximize their position. They hand-delivered potential franchise quarterbacks to two teams (Jets and Buccaneers) and the No. 2-rated receiver to a receiver-hungry team (Philadelphia) and got only a second-, two sixth-round draft picks, and three players (albeit two defensive starters) from the Jets in return.

Hey, Tony: What is the current status of Daven Holly, who was supposed to compete for a starting cornerback spot last season before his injury? -- Jeffrey Jones, Kent.

Hey, Jeffrey: Holly is still unsigned and free to sign with any team.

-- Tony

linik

[Hey, Tony: Thomas Jones is unhappy with the Jets and last season put up Pro Bowl numbers including 1,300 yards and 13 TDs. The Jets drafted Shonn Greene and already have Leon Washington. Any chance the Jets release Jones and he becomes the next Cleveland Jet? A two-headed monster pounding the rock in Cleveland would be a welcome sight. -- Aaron Howell, Canton.

Hey, Aaron: Rex Ryan knows that Mangini would scoop up Jones in a New York second if Jones were released. More likely is a future trade involving Jones and, yes, Edwards. You heard it here first.

I thought that was interesting. Jones is a good back, I'd love to have him, but I don't want to trade BE.

Zombo

I thought that was interesting. Jones is a good back, I'd love to have him, but I don't want to trade BE.

Zombo

Yeah Tony's out of his mind on that one. I keep thinking Jones is done but sooner or later he will be. The only way that deal gets done is if they throw in a shitload of picks for next year and more serious players.

Edwards is in his prime and if he rebounds this year he could garner a first and third if someone wants him bad enough or we can match it and keep him around. If this regime turns this around (and it looks like they have a good chance to) Edwards may be very happy to stay here.

Clowney is a great prospect and we know Mangie loves him, but so do the Jets.

Edwards is here to stay unless he goes bonkers, and I highly doubt that. Mangie won't tolerate that stuff for a second and I get the feeling he is the type of guy you don't want to cross, he can make life miserable for you. Definitely better to go along with the program for sure.

At this point it would be stupid to trade Edwards if they plan on competing this year, and by most accounts they do. I wanted him traded for picks but they got their picks by trading down instead, which is even better.

He gives this offense a definite shot at potency.

Hey, Tony: Thomas Jones is unhappy with the Jets and last season put up Pro Bowl numbers including 1,300 yards and 13 TDs. The Jets drafted Shonn Greene and already have Leon Washington. Any chance the Jets release Jones and he becomes the next Cleveland Jet? A two-headed monster pounding the rock in Cleveland would be a welcome sight. -- Aaron Howell, Canton.

Ooh... I would like having Jones on the team. He's a real beast... and did very well for me last fantasy season. :lol:

I wouldn't want to trade Edwards for him though.

Archived