THE BROWNS BOARD

lady liberty once wore the hijab?

Clevfan4life

This is common knowledge among Egyptians, but also recounted by the National Park Service's own website for the statue:

"From 1855 to 1856, Bartholdi embarked on a life-changing trip throughout Europe and the Middle East with some fellow artists. When they visited the Sphinx and Pyramids of Giza in Egypt, Bartholdi discovered his passion for large-scale public monuments and colossal sculptures. In 1869, the Egyptian government expressed interest in designing a lighthouse for the Suez Canal. Eager and excited, Bartholdi designed a colossal statue of a robed woman holding a torch, which he called Egypt (or Progress) Brings Light to Asia. When he attended the canal's inauguration, however, Bartholdi was informed that he would not be able to proceed with the lighthouse."

https://www.nps.gov/stli/learn/historyculture/auguste-bartholdi.htm

Also, from those fascists liberals at the Smithsonian Institute:

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/statue-liberty-was-originally-muslim-woman-180957377/

She was originally a representation of an Egyptian peasant woman. Egypt ultimately decided the project would be too costly, so he morphed the design and found a new home for her in America. I believe this was the original design, but I'm not sure:

2F00507D00000578-3342140-image-a-107_144

If people try to be objective about things, you'll learn stuff.

Guess who else wears 'hijab'. Nuns. They call it a veil and coif, but it serves the same purpose. Given that both religions have origins in the Middle East, and that this was common to how women dressed in the time that both religions were 'born', this should not surprise anyone.

Also, tons of English words come from Arabic, especially those related to science and astronomy. Oh my, the horror!

Oh just stay awhile, you'll eventually come to an understanding about these guys

I've been here a long time, I just took a hiatus because I got sick of WalterWhite (did he get banned?) and also had a lot of serious personal events happening in my life. I've always respected WSS even though I disagree with most of the time, and still remember that he welcomed me to this forum when I joined it. That's why the comment surprises me.

This is common knowledge among Egyptians, but also recounted by the National Park Service's own website for the statue:

"From 1855 to 1856, Bartholdi embarked on a life-changing trip throughout Europe and the Middle East with some fellow artists. When they visited the Sphinx and Pyramids of Giza in Egypt, Bartholdi discovered his passion for large-scale public monuments and colossal sculptures. In 1869, the Egyptian government expressed interest in designing a lighthouse for the Suez Canal. Eager and excited, Bartholdi designed a colossal statue of a robed woman holding a torch, which he called Egypt (or Progress) Brings Light to Asia. When he attended the canal's inauguration, however, Bartholdi was informed that he would not be able to proceed with the lighthouse."

https://www.nps.gov/stli/learn/historyculture/auguste-bartholdi.htm

Also, from those fascists liberals at the Smithsonian Institute:

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/statue-liberty-was-originally-muslim-woman-180957377/

She was originally a representation of an Egyptian peasant woman. Egypt ultimately decided the project would be too costly, so he morphed the design and found a new home for her in America. I believe this was the original design, but I'm not sure:

2F00507D00000578-3342140-image-a-107_144

If people try to be objective about things, you'll learn stuff.

Guess who else wears 'hijab'. Nuns. They call it a veil and coif, but it serves the same purpose. Given that both religions have origins in the Middle East, and that this was common to how women dressed in the time that both religions were 'born', this should not surprise anyone.

Also, tons of English words come from Arabic, especially those related to science and astronomy. Oh my, the horror!

The problem isn't the hijab itself, the issue is not having a choice whether or not you want to wear it. IMO the hijab in today's world represents oppression.

Even if you say well you have a choice in places like the US and Europe and even maybe some middle east places like Jordan, well the choice is still wear it or get your shit kicked in by your family and disowned.

Well at least you added a smile face.

WSS

I did. Thought you would appreciate that.

The problem isn't the hijab itself, the issue is not having a choice whether or not you want to wear it. IMO the hijab in today's world represents oppression.

Even if you say well you have a choice in places like the US and Europe and even maybe some middle east places like Jordan, well the choice is still wear it or get your shit kicked in by your family and disowned.

I don't know a single Muslim woman who was forced into wearing the hijab, and I know many in the USA and Egypt, and many who are from other countries including Syria, Iraq, Lebanon, and Palestine. I also know women who decided to wear it for a while, and then decided to stop wearing it. That includes my own relatives.

As for the family reaction to it, in my social circles I have never heard of a woman who was treated badly because they chose not to wear it. I have, however, heard multiple times of famiies discouraging the women in their family from wearing them. When my own wife asks me about it, I tell her it is her choice and I will support whatever she chooses but I prefer that she does not wear it.

The places where women are forced into wearing hijab are much fewer than the places where they aren't. In fact, their is a wikipedia entry on this very topic, listing where hijab is or isn't treated as mandatory. You will find that the majority of countries do not make it mandatory.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hijab_by_country

The best way to know what a Muslim woman thinks about hijab is to skip Fox News and ask a Muslim woman about it. I mean seriously people, you do realize that when all you learn about a topic comes from Fox, CNN, or whatever your news outlet of choice is, that you only get a slim view on that topic, right?

"sigh".... there he goes again. The inference is that no woman is forced to wear the hijab,

because he doesn't know any.

I was forced to wear the veil and I wish no other woman had to suffer it ...
www.telegraph.co.uk › News › Religion

Sep 20, 2013 - It is by no means something that the majority of even conservative Muslim women agree on and I have seen, in my own family, women dissuaded fromwearing the niqab. The hijab, or head scarf, is regarded as the middle ground of modesty. Anything at either extreme of that is seen as excessively immodest or fundamentalist.

How about World Hijab Day for Muslim Women Who Are Forced to ...
pamelageller.com/.../world-hijab-day-muslim-women-forced-wear-hijab....
21 hours ago - Non-Muslim women around the world are expected to wear the hijab in solidarity with Muslim women. Why? Is there a worldwide Jewish day?
Islamic State stones five women to death for not wearing the veil

Aug 19, 2015 - Women who don't wear hijab in Muslim countries are far more likely to be .... They were forced back into the burning building by the Mutaween ...

Which Muslim countries force women to wear hijab or other body ...
Most of the Muslim women in the world are forced to cover themselves up and wear the burkha. There really isn't any choice. However, in the de... Why is it considered ok for Muslim women to wear burqa in non-Islamic areas, but non-Muslim women are advised to wear covered attire in Islami...

Jordan Bank Forces Women Employees to Wear Hijab or Be Fired

www.clarionproject.org/.../jordan-bank-forces-women-employees-wear-...

Jordan Bank Forces Women Employees to Wear Hijab or Be Fired. Forcing Christianwomen to wear the hijab is no different than forcing Muslim women to wear ...

Muslim Discrimination In America: Hijab-Wearing Women Forced To ...

www.ibtimes.com/muslim-discrimination-america-hijab-wearing-women...

May 5, 2016 - Six of the seven women who were forced to leave the Urth Caffe in Laguna Beach were wearing headscarves.

Men are wearing hijabs in support of women forced to cover their ...

metro.co.uk › World › Iran

Jul 28, 2016 - Men in Iran are wearing hijabs in support of women across the country who are forced to cover their heads in public. Women have been made ...

Discrimination Against Muslim Women - Fact Sheet | American Civil ...

Because of their visibility, Muslim women who wear hijab face particular .... Medina, a practicing Muslim woman who was forced by local deputies to remove her ...

Here's How Iranian Women Are Protesting Forced Hijab | The ...

www.huffingtonpost.com/.../masih-alinejad-iran-hijab_us_5632406ce4b...

Nov 2, 2015 - A woman protests hijab law on Hijab and Chastity National Day in .... These women don't want to keep silent when they're forced to wear hijab.

http://www.parlio.com/asra-nomani/wearing-the-hijab-perpetuates-oppression

rbuvksaxp3jnjb7sliii.png

Author, Journalist, Writer-Activist
As mainstream Muslim women, we see the girl’s headscarf not as a signal of “choice,” but as a symbol of a dangerous purity culture, obsessed with honor and virginity, that has divided Muslim communities.
The clash of values emerged this past New Year’s Eve on the streets of Cologne, Germany, when dozens of marauding young men, many of them described as coming from Muslim communities in North Africa and the Middle East, sexually assaulted scores of young women, setting off a scandal in Germany.

Last month, Hala Arafa, an Egyptian-American journalist, and I wrote a Washington Post essay arguing that the headscarf isn’t Islamically mandated. We received verbal abuse from American Muslim leaders and academics, not to mention countless angry online comments. But we also received hundreds of messages of support and thanks from Muslims and others who appreciated our candor. We’d like to have a civil conversation on this topic, and we welcome thoughtful comments and questions from the Parlio community.

Please find our New York Times piece here:

Most of the Muslim women in the world are forced to cover themselves ...

https://www.quora.com/Most-of-the-Muslim-women-in-the-world-are-fo...

It seem the question have been edited or move, so I will edit my answer to adjust the question. ... If given a choice would Muslim women stop wearing niquab? Which Muslim countries force women to wear hijab or other body covering?

Muslim women's struggle with the hijab | Fusion

fusion.net/story/355750/cover-muslim-women-struggle-hijab/

Oct 19, 2016 - Many Muslim women have a choice when it comes to wearing a hijab, but others are indeed forced to cover up, and will face consequences in ...

Can we call this fake news now?

The statue of liberty was modeled after the Roman goddess libertas

Nope, we can't. This information is in historical records of the Egyptian government. It's documented in our own government's national park service website. It's documented in biographies of the man who created it. We don't get to call things fake news just because it disturbs our sensibilities.

Nope, we can't. This information is in historical records of the Egyptian government. It's documented in our own government's national park service website. It's documented in biographies of the man who created it. We don't get to call things fake news just because it disturbs our sensibilities.

So you are saying the report that the statue is model after a Roman goddess is a lie?

Do you think the statue is a symbol of immigration? Or has it been incorrectly co-opted by Madeleine Albright and others?

WSS

So you are saying the report that the statue is model after a Roman goddess is a lie?

Do you think the statue is a symbol of immigration? Or has it been incorrectly co-opted by Madeleine Albright and others?

WSS

I am saying he can't call it fake news. When the destination was changed to America, it is possible the creator altered the design to be more appropriate to America and make it look like a Roman goddess. I couldn't find this documented but it makes the most sense.

Archived