THE BROWNS BOARD

Chinese New Year

The Gipper

You all know about Chinese New Year, and that they mark their years by animal names: The Year of the Dog, the Year of the Sheep, the Year of the Dragon, the Year of the Cat, etc.

Well, in sports term, the 2016 major league seasons were "The Year of the Choke".

1. Face it, the Cavs won the 2016 NBA Series, but it was partly because the Warriors choked away a 3 games to 1 lead. Draymond Green's nutsack judo act helped the Cavs tremendously.

2. And the Indians.....lately our most prolific Chokers. Nothing else can be said but that they choked away the 2016 World Series after having a 3 games to 1 lead. So, Cleveland benefits by one choke and get burned by another. (prolific...going back to choking the lead in the 7th of the previous WS they were in...and choking away a 3-1 lead to the Red Sox back in -07 in the ALCS.

3. And now the Atlanta Falcons. They commit the biggest choke job in the history of football in the 2016 seasons Super Bowl

(perhaps only second overall to the Yankees choking away a 3-0 lead in the ALCS in 2004.

So, give a toast of rice wine to The Year of the Choke...2016.

(note....only the Pittspuke Penguins/San Jose Sharks didn't choke away a huge lead in a series/game

The Indians got to the World Series because of all the Party at Napoli's and sadly might have lost it because of the Power outage at Napoli's.

.....plus several really key pitching injuries but it was the pitching including the bullpen that really shined.

Hey getting to Game 7 extra innings was a minor miracle vs a superior Cubbies team.

The Indians got to the World Series because of all the Party at Napoli's and sadly might have lost it because of the Power outage at Napoli's.

.....plus several really key pitching injuries but it was the pitching including the bullpen that really shined.

Hey getting to Game 7 extra innings was a minor miracle vs a superior Cubbies team.

Still, they never should have choked away a 3 games to 1 lead.

Still, they never should have choked away a 3 games to 1 lead.

Whether it's sales or law or sports sometimes it just comes down to the ability to close the deal. Kluber just got burned out on short rest but Rajai made it exciting.

I also was ticked they couldn't pull it off but in a way was glad it was exciting...just like the CAVS only the shoe was on the other foot this time.

GO 2017 TRIBE! Repeating another 162 game season is long and hard.

This does remind me though of one of my all time favorite songs, which I have not heard in quite awhile. So I looked it up and post it here:

You started me on a trip down memory lane Gip. Al Stewart is one of my faves from that era. Year of the Cat may be one of his big hits, but there's a dozen or so of his other tunes that are equally good. Tim Renwick played some outstanding guitar on this song- (and several other Stewart's albums). For those unfamiliar with him- MHO is he's one of the greatest guitar session musicians that ever lived. Played with Procol Harum, Elton John, David Bowie, Eric Clapton, most famously with David Gilmour and Pink Floyd.

To experts like you and I, Its never about 1 play or a bad call.

Julio caught 4 passes. The NE offense ran 99 plays and had plenty of gas. The Falcons defense was on oxygen.

Again, absurd. While certainly there are multiple plays that affect the outcome of the game....ONE play CAN be the difference between winning and losing.

I go back to that last Browns playoff game: Dennis Northcutt catches that pass on third down, the Browns get a first down, they can then go iinto victory formation and take like 2-3 knees to simply run out the clock. But he doesn't. He drops it. Browns have to punt. Steelers get the ball....and drive down the field for the game winning score.

BUT....according to you...that ONE play would not have made a difference. Per your theory, apparently, even if Northcutt had caught that ball.....the Steelers still would have won? Because...why? Karma? Magic? Supernatural forces? Activation of the Omega 13 Device? What?

Yes, the Browns shoulda stopped the Steelers from scoring...so all those plays affect the games outcome.....but, the fact is, the Browns defense would not have had to stop them if the catch was made, and the knees were taken.

To the low information fan, 1 play determines winning and losing.

In reality winning and losing is a culmination of many things.

No shit Sherlock. Obviously every play in a game counts. If a game is a 55-10 score, that too is a culmination of many things.

When a game is cunt hair close, certainly that closeness is a culmination of many things.

But that is when that one play can make a difference.

Archived