THE BROWNS BOARD

New QB coach

darren15

I think he's a very similar player, with the biggest difference being that Tyrod doesn't really have health and durability concerns.

Does anyone really think that would be an upgrade from RG3?

Taylor quietly had a pretty decent year from a stats standpoint. He was 9th in total QBR (beating guys like Wilson, Derek Carr and Phillip Rivers) and led the league in rushing with no major injuries.

The thing I don't like at all though is he's not super great on the accuracy side of things, but could slide into Hue's offense arguably better than any QB available.

WOW.....................is he going to teach Joe Thomas how to call plays? He better, because last time I looked? This fantastic BUILDING FOR THE FUTURE team doesn't have a quarterback. But THANK GOD...........we have a coach in case we ever do decide to get a QB.

Fair point. All I can say is: coaches can be acquired right away. If they draft a QB, that guy won't be identified until the draft in late April. If they get a QB as a FA, that can't be until, I believe, March 9th.

But question....for all: When CAN a trade be made? If this JG trade thing were to be serious, when is the earliest that can happen?

(may need to look at Calendar thread)

I think he's a very similar player, with the biggest difference being that Tyrod doesn't really have health and durability concerns.

Tyrod played threw ankle injury till week 4 till finally put on injury report. Rumors had it Rexy was playing Tyrod for wins to save his job & ignored a MNF game in Nov. with Pats. where Tyrod suffered a throwing arm shoulder injury. Tyrod passed on Pro Bowl invite & had a right shoulder Core-Muscle Surgery on Jan.5th. 6 week rehab time. Team can opt out of Taylor's deal if not deemed healthy by 3-11 by not passing physical. If Tyrod passes, his contract becomes guaranteed for 17. Taylor is due a 15.5M option bonus & 12M base salary in 2017. 3.25M of his 18 salary also becomes guaranteed march 11th.. 61.7 completion rate & lead NFL QB's with league high 42 sacks.. All I get is a lot of Sh$t will happen around March 11th 2017

March 9 -- Trading period for 2017 begins at 4:00 p.m., New York time, after expiration of all 2016 contracts.

Does this sound right? No trade can be made until March 9th?

That is how I read it. But they can begin talking to agents Mar 7-9

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000765416/article/national-football-league-important-dates-for-2017

The Bills gave Taylor a five-year, $90 million extension in training camp, but it included an interesting out clause. There's an option for the Bills to walk away from the contract when the new league year begins in March, and the dead cap hit would be only about $2.8 million. If they choose to stick with Taylor and pick up the option, they would have to pay Taylor $27.5 million in salary and bonus in 2017, plus another $3 million bonus that is due in 2018 becomes active.

If they trade for Taylor, and team is on the hook for $27.5m in 2017. That's $12m in base and $15.5m in essentially 'roster bonus' - he has a good agent. We have the green to do that, but it's an awful lot.

This would surely suppress any trade market for him, and would possibly lead to them cutting him, on the same day as the trading is possible.

Fucking ridiculous. Why get rid of the QB coach you had? It seems to me the fucking guy you need to get rid of is the one who BUILT THE REBUILDING FOUNDATION on Black Tarkenton, McCown and Kessler the China Glass Passer.

Idiots, man, fucking idiots.

The QB coach they had quit. They didn't get rid of him. He decided to go coach for Michifuck or something.

(and you and I both hope that they will not be rebuilding with RG of Kessler...and in case you had not heard, the Browns cut McCown yesterday.

Catchup baby tomato

If they trade for Taylor, and team is on the hook for $27.5m in 2017. That's $12m in base and $15.5m in essentially 'roster bonus' - he has a good agent. We have the green to do that, but it's an awful lot.

This would surely suppress any trade market for him, and would possibly lead to them cutting him, on the same day as the trading is possible.

I understood that TAylor is to be a FA, so no trade would be required.

Correct me if I am wrong.

That is how I read it. But they can begin talking to agents Mar 7-9

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000765416/article/national-football-league-important-dates-for-2017

Trades can't be consummated until the 9th, but discussion feelers are out and should be flying at the Combine.

And we're off!

Connect the dots? Browns hire Tyrod Taylor's QB coach from Buffalo

Pat McManamonESPN Staff Writer

Tyrod Taylor, anyone?

The Cleveland Browns hired their quarterbacks coach Wednesday. He is David Lee, who spent the last two seasons with the Buffalo Bills, where he coached -- yes -- Taylor.

While this isn't college basketball, where the recruit's father can somehow wind up with a job at the school where the recruit decides to play, there are readily evident connectable dots here.

Taylor checks off almost every box of Browns coach Hue Jackson's requirements for a quarterback:

• He's dependable. Taylor started 29 of 31 games for the Bills before being held out of the season finale for financial reasons.
  • He's accurate. Taylor completed 61 percent of his throws the last two seasons.
  • He protects the ball. He threw 12 interceptions in two seasons.
  • He gets in the end zone. He had 37 touchdowns passing and 10 running the last two seasons.

http://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/230920/connect-the-dots-browns-hire-tyrod-taylors-qb-coach-from-buffalo

It's been a while since I remember reading an article by Pat.

I understood that TAylor is to be a FA, so no trade would be required.

Correct me if I am wrong.

Nope, Chris is right... http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/tyrod-taylor-7899/ Signed a 5 year contract and is in year 2. Will cost the Bills a ton to cut him in a cap hit.

Nope, Chris is right... http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/tyrod-taylor-7899/ Signed a 5 year contract and is in year 2. Will cost the Bills a ton to cut him in a cap hit.

Do you know why he got the contract? Cause he decided to not show up at camp for his last 500k. of a contract. Think JG will show up to camp with 700k remaining on his..No Way Pats. Franchise JG but must tag by 3-1. In the draft we will have our answer when & if they trade JG..Popcorn is ready

Expensive as hell to cut, but at ~$17mm/season, not to play. So it comes down to evaluation.

I don't know if TT is gold, but his 63% connect percentage and 3:1 TD to INT ratio over the past two years aren't indicative of stupid play. The only thing that gives pause is his sack total which seems high for a "mobile" QB.

Expensive as hell to cut, but at ~$17mm/season, not to play. So it comes down to evaluation.

I don't know if TT is gold, but his 63% connect percentage and 3:1 TD to INT ratio over the past two years aren't indicative of stupid play. The only thing that gives pause is his sack total which seems high for a "mobile" QB.

Pop quiz - who are Buffalo's top receivers? If you said Sammy Watkins, you're half right - except he only caught 28 passes (5th on team) for 430 yards (4th), and 2 TDs (4th).

http://www.buffalobills.com/team/team-stats.html

Anyone there scare a DC outside of Shady?

Pop quiz - who are Buffalo's top receivers? If you said Sammy Watkins, you're half right - except he only caught 28 passes (5th on team) for 430 yards (4th), and 2 TDs (4th).

When your WR corps is not strong (or available) your TE rises to the top.... Clay in BUF in 2016... Barn in CLE in 2015.

When your WR corps is not strong (or available) your TE rises to the top.... Clay in BUF in 2016... Barn in CLE in 2015.

Absolutely, and throw running backs in there as well. Barnidge's (1000 yards) top was a lot higher than Clay's top (600 yards) though

OK, then. I guess then I don't understand why there would be much credence into the idea of acquiring him.

If the Bills wouldn't want him, why the fuck would the Browns have any interest in him?

I would still question if the guy would be an upgrade from RG3 at all at this point.

Archived