THE BROWNS BOARD

Congressional Budget Office: 24 million would lose insurance under RepubliCare

jbluhm86

I got great insurance fuck everyone else.

The Paul Ryan motto. The guy genuinely seems to view people who get sick as being evil, making bad choices that honest hard working americans shouldn't have to pay for. Like, people choose to get cancer, or hit by a car, or whatever.

Meanwhile, money being spent on preventative medicine...? Diabetes is the single biggest cost to healthcare in the US but doing anything to suggest people don't shovel shit in their mouths is governmental interference.

The Paul Ryan motto. The guy genuinely seems to view people who get sick as being evil, making bad choices that honest hard working americans shouldn't have to pay for. Like, people choose to get cancer, or hit by a car, or whatever.

Meanwhile, money being spent on preventative medicine...? Diabetes is the single biggest cost to healthcare in the US but doing anything to suggest people don't shovel shit in their mouths is governmental interference.

giphy.gif

amusing, you could NOT GET liberals to criticize obaMaodoesn'tcare...ever.

but now they are all about negative specifics. lol

so many want a free ride, they've been told they are victims

for one reason of another, ...been told they are entitlled.

America can't pay for the entire existence of so many able-bodied,

lazy, sludge people. It's expensive enough to help those who can't help

themselves, which we should do.

Sometimes, people are their own worst enemy, and there isn't any legislation that will

change that.

Preventative? Seriously? Look pal I'm as guilty of this has anybody in America. Even though I quit smoking decades ago I'm substantially overweight and don't exercise nearly enough. For all these terrible illnesses that afflict people how many of those could have avoided that for free?

WSS

I think Government health care can work but, just like most other social programs the recipients must be vetted and prioritized correctly. I'm with you guys on those that haven't paid their dues. However, those that have (veterans, elderly persons that have lost their health care as result of a failing corporation i.e. the steel industry) should be at the front of the line and taken care of for the rest of their lives.

Those that have not earned their way should be either be provided with limited coverage for an allotted amount of time or not covered at all. I personally wouldn't have an issue with providing coverage for a veteran with no legs, or an 85 year old grandfather that lost his coverage because the steel company he worked at for 35 years went under and as a result he lost his pension and healthcare coverage.

Might there be other solutions? Sure but, I have yet to see one. It would also be nice to see those that represent us in the Congress and the Senate write a bill that doesn't highlight 20 crack deals (other bills that have nothing to do with the one they're actually talking about). For a Congress and Senate that is as divisive as we're led to believe, they sure find a way to keep fattening each others pockets.

Paul Ryan has been supported by the government his entire life, now he pushes to dismantle every program that has helped him get to where he is today.

How much is a pack of 20 cigarettes over there? Best I can find is it's about $6 or so, right? Here it's about $10, and rules have recently been introduced to make all packaging plain (and therefore less eye-catching) to reduce the amount of smokers and the severity of the condition.

Same kind of deal with things like fast food, sugary drinks - they're much cheaper in my (admittedly limited) experience over there than here, and yet more expensive in the rest of Europe. A big mac meal for example in switzerland costs about $12, and only comes in small or medium. None of the free refills etc.

How much is a pack of 20 cigarettes over there? Best I can find is it's about $6 or so, right? Here it's about $10, and rules have recently been introduced to make all packaging plain (and therefore less eye-catching) to reduce the amount of smokers and the severity of the condition.

Same kind of deal with things like fast food, sugary drinks - they're much cheaper in my (admittedly limited) experience over there than here, and yet more expensive in the rest of Europe. A big mac meal for example in switzerland costs about $12, and only comes in small or medium. None of the free refills etc.

giphy.gif

I'm still for straight up socialized medicine. If you want to pay for more have at it but everybody should have access to healthcare. Everyone.

That's exactly how it is in Europe. It's free for everyone (obviously paid out of taxes), but then a lot of companies offer private health insurance including mine. So if you don't have health insurance, you're still fine, but if you want to pay more, you can.

I guess I could live with that kind of two tier medical system. When I was in college and broke I remember sitting for hours at the free clinic. How long do you suppose it would be before the left, well the American left, makes a giant issue of the fact that the rich get better treatment then the poor?

WSS

I guess I could live with that kind of two tier medical system. When I was in college and broke I remember sitting for hours at the free clinic. How long do you suppose it would be before the left, well the American left, makes a giant issue of the fact that the rich get better treatment then the poor?

WSS

It's basically a non-issue here. More of an issue is the funding cuts on the NHS. I guess it's about the only thing people here are as rabid about as gun ownership in the US, except it's not really partisan, most people are pro-NHS.

Some vague figures I can quickly find, the UK health insurance total premiums is around £3-4bn, in the US it's apparently $1.2tn. Population-wise, there are about five times as many people in the US. So, even if these figures are off by a decent chunk, you can still get the idea that the private health industry here is pretty small compared to there.

There's also the fixed cost of medicine. Any prescription you have to buy yourself (not including things like paracetamol or whatever) is fixed at like £9.

The NHS is paid for out of National Insurance - which covers a lot of stuff besides healthcare - which works out at around £2.6k for someone earning £30k, £4.5k at £50k, you get the idea. In fact, according to HMRC, a salary of £50k means an NHS contribution of about £2.7k. And obviously there's no deductable, no disqualification for conditions etc.

How does that compare with your premiums and deductables?

It's basically a non-issue here. More of an issue is the funding cuts on the NHS. I guess it's about the only thing people here are as rabid about as gun ownership in the US, except it's not really partisan, most people are pro-NHS.

I certainly understand that it's just that we here in the US are used to a certain level of service. Most people don't pay for their own so they don't care. Kind of like in your situation where you just assume someone else is taking care of it. But you should hear what happens if a particular Union needs to increase employee participation or raise a copay. It gets ugly pretty quickly. I doubt that if we switched completely to a single-payer system we would have as streamlined Service as we have now. Sure after a couple or three generations that will just become and place and not such a shock but switch now? Give everyone the Canadian system? Most people would not stand for it.

And it is similar to gun ownership. It's hard to take away anybody's rights, or dramatically decrease their entitlements too quickly.

WSS

nobodies rabid. People are determined to be able to protect themselves, and people don't want our gov debt to

completely crash our economy. Owning guns is our RIGHT, and it isn't government funded.

Just another liberal complete change of subject. Free hc turns into leftist perverts wanting sex change operations, nose jobs,

breast implants, and all sorts of weird optional no-good-reason-for-it cosmetic surgeries. No country can afford free

everything. Not even free everything for liberal twinkle-toe victims of something or another.

Average premiums here are apparently a little over £1k. So not exactly the crippling amount people have been citing as criticisms of either the 'affordable healthcare act' or the 'american healthcare act'

As for your 'certain level of service' - does that mean you go to the doctor when you have a sniffle and get 'treated' right away? Because you can probably live without that. If you have things actually wrong, you're taken care of pretty well, despite what the horror stories would have you believe.

Average premiums here are apparently a little over £1k. So not exactly the crippling amount people have been citing as criticisms of either the 'affordable healthcare act' or the 'american healthcare act'

As for your 'certain level of service' - does that mean you go to the doctor when you have a sniffle and get 'treated' right away? Because you can probably live without that. If you have things actually wrong, you're taken care of pretty well, despite what the horror stories would have you believe.

People can certainly live without the ability to go to the doctor immediately with a sniffle. And that my friend applies more to those on Medicaid than it does to those of us who pay for healthcare, they pay nothing and we'll take the kids to the Stat Care Clinic at the drop of a hat.

As for myself as you know I've had some recent serious problems and service was the best in the world and amazingly fast.

WSS

And UK hospitals lose a decent chunk of money to healthcare tourism. It goes both ways. If you're a US citizen with insurance, but like a $15k deductable or whatever, you're not going to go to a doctor who says "ok sir, I can see you have the sniffles, but to be sure I want to send you for a CAT scan, MRI and a series of biopsies" and come out with a bill for thousands. So maybe you cross over and get checked out by the Canadians, then go American if it's something serious.

But that's the problem. The orthopedic work is usually meant to relieve something extremely painful sooner rather than waiting months or years. My deductible for a case of the sniffles would be a reasonably small amount of money certainly not worth A2 or 3 hour drive to Canada and a hotel room and a multiple hour wait to see a physician or a nurse or a nurse's aide.

My father-in-law lived in a retirement Village on the Texas border and many people crossed into Mexico to see a doctor or a dentist. Mexico pays for their citizens to go to medical school or dental school in the US but they have to work in Mexico for at least 2 years, maybe more. So they set up shop right across the border for older retired Americans to visit. Still we are talking about Minor medicine. Not cardiac surgery or knee replacement or hip replacements.

WSS

Archived