THE BROWNS BOARD

Interesting Take on Browns Future QB

darubes

Former NFL player and scout Bucky Brooks knows the ins and outs of this league, providing keen insight in his notebook. The topics of this edition include:

» The scouting community's polarized position on QB prospect Patrick Mahomes.

» What the future holds for Richard Sherman and the Seahawks.

But first, a look at one quarterback room that has more potential than you think ...

Call me crazy, but I don't think the Cleveland Browns' quarterback situation is nearly as dire as many seem to think. Despite the constant chatter regarding the organization's need to find a franchise quarterback in the 2017 NFL Draft, I believe the Browns might be better served by standing pat at the position and relying on the current options on the roster.

That's right: I'm saying the Browns should pin their immediate hopes on Brock Osweiler and Cody Kessler to lead the team out of the doldrums in 2017 and beyond.

Now, I know I might be the only evaluator in the football world to take an optimistic view on Cleveland's quarterback situation, but I believe the team's young field generals are better options than what's available in the draft, free agency and trade markets. While the allure of trotting a new "face of the franchise" to the podium is tempting -- and the Browns have a whopping 11 draft picks, including two in the first round (Nos. 1 and 12) -- the better business decision would involve developing the quarterbacks currently on the roster to see if they spawn an effective NFL starter in the short term.

I know it's hard to grasp that concept when Jimmy Garoppolo has been hailed as a potential savior at the position, but the Browns' current signal callers should provide the Dawg Pound with just as much hope and optimism for the future. No disrespect to the New England Patriots' QB2, but what has he really accomplished in the league to make us believe that he is a franchise quarterback capable of engineering a major turnaround in Cleveland?

Sure, Garoppolo flashed some potential during a pair of successful starts for the Super Bowl champions at the beginning the 2016 season, but aren't the Patriots viewed as the best-coached in football? How much stock should we place in his efficient efforts when we watched an unheralded rookie (Jacoby Brissett) lead the same squad to a 27-0 victory the following week?

Thus, the Browns run the risk of overvaluing a backup quarterback who really hasn't shown the football world that he is a franchise quarterback -- or even a legitimate NFL starter at the position. Considering the draft currency and financial commitment it could take to pry Garoppolo away from New England, the risk-reward ratio doesn't make sense for an organization that remains several pieces away from playoff contention.

The draft is just as risky, without a sure-fire option at the top of the board. While DeShaun Watson, Mitchell Trubisky, DeShone Kizer, Patrick Mahomes and Davis Webb are intriguing talents, there isn't a consensus superstar in the bunch -- and questions persist on whether any of them are capable of thriving in Year 1. With question marks surrounding the entire class, the Browns are better off developing one of their own instead of taking on another young quarterback at this point.

Once again, I know that's an unpopular opinion in the microwaveable quarterback age, but it takes time for young signal callers to grow into the position -- and the Browns would return to Step 1 with a rookie at the helm. I'm beginning to think Cleveland realizes this, which is why we are starting to hear a different tone from the team when it comes to Osweiler.

"He's a guy that's gonna come in and compete," Hue Jackson told NFL Network's Steve Wyche at the Annual League Meeting.

That's how the Browns should treat a 26-year-old quarterback who was viewed as a hot commodity just one offseason ago. Osweiler had plenty of suitors on the open market last year before signing with the Houston Texans on a four-year, $72 million deal that featured $37 million in guarantees. While Osweiler has been called a bust for his disappointing performance in Houston as a starter this past season, it is important to remember he is still a young quarterback with the potential to function as a quality starter in the league. He played a key role in the Denver Broncos' most recent championship campaign by posting a 5-2 mark while filling in for Peyton Manning.

Naturally, skeptics will point to that all-time defense as the driving force of those Broncos, but Osweiler deserves credit for his efficient effort as a starter on team that allowed him to simply manage the game from under center. I know fans see the "game manager" label as a huge taint, but the capacity to understand and execute in critical moments is key to winning games. Osweiler's ability to hold down the fort for the Broncos in Manning's absence suggests he can win games in this league when set up for success.

Looking back at Osweiler's struggles in Houston, he definitely deserves criticism for his inconsistent play as a big-money quarterback. But I'm not convinced Bill O'Brien completely put him in a position to maximize his potential within that system. The 6-foot-8, 235-pound slinger is ideally suited to play in a quick-rhythm scheme that features an assortment of short and intermediate routes inside the numbers. In addition, he is an efficient passer off play action, particularly on movement-based drops that included half or full rollouts.

Remember, Osweiler entered the league after only one full season as a starter at Arizona State (15 career starts in college) and logged just seven starts during his time in Denver. Thus, he was essentially a rookie in Houston despite the fanfare and hype surrounding his arrival as a big-ticket free agent. Considering how experience is life's greatest teacher, Osweiler should be an improved player in 2017 after learning several hard lessons during his 16-start gig (including the playoffs) with the Texans.

If the Browns are serious about seeing what they have in Osweiler, they should consider incorporating bits and pieces of the offense that he ran successfully at Arizona State. Sure, it's been six years since he played in Noel Mazzone's version of the spread, but the concepts are eerily similar to some of the basic routes in the West Coast offense, which would make it easy to blend into Cleveland's game plan. Jackson has done this before with young quarterbacks (see: Andy Dalton in Cincinnati), so it is definitely possible to put Osweiler in a position to succeed with subtle tweaks to the playbook.

As far as Kessler, the Browns might've uncovered a potential starter in the 2016 third-round pick from USC. That opinion probably goes against the narrative floated out in most football circles, but the rookie starter played better than expected when he got his chance in 2016. In nine games (eight starts), Kessler posted a 65.6 completion rate and a 6:2 touchdown-to-interception ratio for a 92.9 passer rating. While some will snicker at those numbers and suggest they are simply garbage-time stats compiled by a quarterback forced to chase points for a losing team, Kessler played well enough in three competitive games (vs. Miami, Washington and Tennessee) to warrant serious consideration as the Browns' starting quarterback going forward.

With an upgraded offensive line (Cleveland added Kevin Zeitler and JC Tretter to a front that already features Joe Thomas and Joel Bitonio on the left side) and what should be an improved supporting cast of perimeter players following the draft, Kessler could do just fine in Year 2.

Granted, I'm not ready to appoint Kessler as the next big thing at the position, but I do believe he is capable of winning games as a quick-rhythm passer with solid management skills and a "small ball" game that has been effective elsewhere in the league (see: Kirk Cousins and Alex Smith, among others). While Kessler needs to show Browns officials that he is durable enough to be a long-term starter (he missed time in 2016 due to concussions and a rib injury) and that he possesses the arm strength to attack down the field, the 23-year-old has shown an evolving grasp of situational football, which is key to winning games in this league.

In the end, I'm not saying Osweiler or Kessler will set the league on fire, but I certainly would see what they have to offer before committing to another unproven young quarterback as the savior of the franchise. With most of the available options on the market and in the draft also viewed as "trailers" (the rest of the team must carry the quarterback to the winner's circle), the Browns would be wise to build up the rest of the roster and see if either player can lead the team out of the AFC North cellar in 2017, instead of making a hasty quarterback decision to simply earn a press conference "W".

I was reading that earlier...

At least now every possibility regarding our QB situation has been covered so there's no need to discuss it any further until the Draft... :)

I stopped reading towards the end because it appears his bright idea was just to roll with Kessler and I couldn't stand knowing I went through the entire article for just that. So if that's not what he said, someone let me know. Tia.

Well, being optimistic about it, it would be nice to see what happens with a defense that gets off the filed a lot more often and gives the O many more opportunities not under pressure to score every possession.

Agree, give Kessler a chance. Only worry, two concussions.

We need the new OL to stay healthy than Gel in pass protection than Kessler has his chance.I hope to see the kid with time. 2 seasons ago even with Mack & Schwartz it was bad..but damn it got ugly last season..Kessler stood in there & took some damn good shots even at release. The full out unevaded to QB is what got him hurt

Caught a radio interview with Dobbs the other day and the kid certainly sounds the part. Listening to him speak, it became immediately obvious that he is incredibly intelligent. Furthermore, he has to be a hell of a worker. Any kid coming out of high school who can lead an SEC team while majoring in aerospace engineering has to be committed.

Dobbs also won the torchbearer award for academics and community involvement. I get the same sense of competence and intelligence that I saw in Russell Wilson when he was on Gruden's QB camp. Both players exude that "I'll figure out the NFL no matter what" kind of confidence you find in someone who knows they're smarter and harder working than everyone else. Not Davis Webb's "I'll just suck my own dick until I believe it" faux confidence.

I haven't watched much of his film, but he definitely checks all the boxes off the field. He also has had a personal relationship with Peyton Manning, and has been able to pick his brain over his years at UT.

TCPO, is Dobbs' main isue mechanics? I see his feet and they do seem a bit messy.

I'd put most of it on his footwork and decision making. He rarely throws from a solid base but when he does, it's often a very nice throw - perfect trajectory, solid pace, delivered timely and clean.

Problem is that he doesn't do it as often as he should.

He steps out and away rather than driving toward his receiver on a lot of his mid-range throws and his accuracy struggles.

Watching him on tape, there's really nothing in his game that's a "whoa nelly" type flaw, however. That's what I like about him. Analysts and scouts will point to the fact that he never really reached his potential at UT or didn't grow and progress and use that as a flaw, but I don't see that as being an issue.

He shows solid potential to have a low-starter level floor with the right coaching.

I say roll with Kessler. If we do go QB with #12 I wouldn't be mad but Kessler deserve to start after the beating he took last year. If anything it shows how tough the kid is. Give him an improved OLine and a better Defense and Kessler is going to shine.

I say roll with Kessler. If we do go QB with #12 I wouldn't be mad but Kessler deserve to start after the beating he took last year. If anything it shows how tough the kid is. Give him an improved OLine and a better Defense and Kessler is going to shine.

Agree, too early to abandon him. Rookie year with two concussions.

He may come back a different QB; gotta find out.

It isn't hurting Shazier. They both have that no eyebrows disease

Shazier did have eyebrows this past season... so maybe there's a cure.

My gut says roll with Kessler. Then my brain says "This is exactly how your gut felt in 2011 with Colt McCoy." I have no clue what think at QB. We're eventually just going to have to luck out on a 3rd or 4th rounder like Wilson or Prescott. We're cursed with round 1 QBs.

Archived