THE BROWNS BOARD

Looking Ahead For The Browns

BernietheKid

Looking Ahead For The Browns

May 5, 2009 · By Thomas W. Delaney

It has been a week since the draft, and all the recap articles have been written and digested by all of us. The guys at TCF have covered it from every angle, positive and negative. I won't rehash their work, as surely anything I would say is less insightful and surely redundant. That being said, I did come away from draft weekend with one major disappointment and one breath of fresh air.

In regards to the breath of fresh air, I can't begin to tell you how excited I was to see Pedro Gomez working as a draft day correspondent from one of the NFL team's war rooms (the exact team escapes me at this juncture). Ever since Barry Bonds retired, and Gomez lost his daily story to follow, I have been worried about Pedro. I seldom recall seeing his work since then, so it was great to see him working again, as I had been worried he had a nervous breakdown without Bonds to cover.

As for the disappointment, I am thoroughly upset with ESPN's Christ Mortensen. In college, I wrote about Mortensen's ability to single handedly move a player up draft boards. He did it with Kyle Boller, and the story of Boller's ability to throw the ball, from his knees, through the goal post, because, you know, that is a throw an NFL quarterback needs to have in his arsenal. Boller ended up as a mid-first round pick, when he shouldn't have been, and we have seen the subsequent fallout.

Later, Mort pushed Matt Jones up draft boards as a WR (Jones was a college QB at Arkansas with Mort's son), based solely on measurable, since Jones had no experience at WR. Jones ended up in the bottom of round 1, when he shouldn't have been, and flamed out accordingly. That's not to say Mort didn't have a chance this year, as his son was draft eligible. Between his lack of pimping a prospect and his incessantly glazed over eyes on draft weekend, my concerns have shifted from Gomez to Mortensen. I am hoping for a Gomez-esque resurgence from Mort next year.

If you were hoping for a Browns related disappointment and sigh of relief, well, I am of the camp that believes you can't grade a draft until a few years down the road. There have been countless drafts and players, we as fans have been ecstatic about, only to be letdown. So, maybe I am glad many fans and pundits are panning Mangini's moves. I did like the trades that were made and the picks and players acquired. I liked the move towards intelligent, disciplined football players.

Ever since Chris Palmer and his rag tag team, reminscient of Gene Hackman's in The Replacements, we have watched countless Browns teams lose games through idiotic plays or penalties (Dwayne Rudd's helmet toss immediately springs to mind). Butch Davis didn't change that culture. This 2009 team may still lose 10 games on the season, but it won't be caused by mental mistakes and stupid penalties, or Romeo Crennel Specials, as I liked to call them.

No, I am carrying much more optimism into 2009; so much in fact, that I am calling playoffs right now, including finally getting off the shnide against the Steelers. Yes, I am that optimistic. Many critics sounded off after Mangini and Kokinis didn't get an "impact player" in the draft. However, I think that need was grossly understated. The Browns were not as bad as their record indicates last year, and were not as good as 2007's 10-6 record either. But with an influx of solid supporting players who are disciplined and intelligent, I expect the leap to be made.

On offense, those players are in place with Brady Quinn, Braylon Edwards, and the Running Back Triumverate. Quinn will move into the starter's role, and with the addition of Brett Ratliff as a viable #2, I think DA is traded. With Quinn has the unquestioned starter, I expect him to thrive. He has the weapons to throw to, and knows how to utilize them. Ratliff will be a solid number two, and I like the prospect of Texas Tech gunslinger Graham Harrell as a developmental number three QB.

Braylon will be playing for a contract, whether it is in Cleveland or not. He needs to show 2007 was not a fluke, and I expect him to be motivated ($$$$) to do so. If he does, Braylon is an elite talent, as we all saw in '07, and that kind of elite playmaker is rare in the NFL. BE17 has that talent. People panned the selection of two WR's in round two, but a look at the depth chart prior to those selections vindicates the Browns braintrust: Edwards, Inmate 24601, Patten, Steptoe, Cribbs (?), Leggett and Hubbard. Ouch. No way Quinn could have been successful with that rag tag bunch. Change that to BE17, Robiskie, Patten, Masaquoi and Steptoe, and well, I like that a lot better. Robiskie is what he is: sure-handed, good route runner, good blocker, and reliable. I think he is the ideal #2 WR on an NFL team (think Joey J), and will prove as much from the get go. Masaquoi has potential, and should at least be a good fourth option as a rookie, and maybe develop into more. Add in Heiden, Royal and Rucker, and the Browns have a solid balance of pass catching and blocking tight ends.

Jamal Lewis still has some gas in the tank. He may be on empty, but he can be pushed another season until the car stalls. Mangini and Daboll proved they know how to utilize a change-of-pace back last year with Leon Washington complimenting Thomas Jones. This leaves me extremely hopeful for Jerome Harrison's role this year. Let's not kid ourselves, Harrison is not a 25 carry per game back, but he should be 15 touches a game, and he should make something happen in that time. James Davis will be an improvement over Jason Wright, and I think he could be a starter down the road ... just watch some of his Clemson film. People thought the Browns needed a back to groom to replace Lewis in the second. However, running back is one position where a rookie can step in and make an impact as a starter. The Browns have a starter this year, and if Davis isn't Lewis' replacement, that guy can be found next year.

The fact that Alex Mack stabilizes the middle to left side of the line, with Thomas and Steinbach, has been beaten to death. We know he is strong and intelligent, and eminently more capable of handling the stout nose tackles that he will see in the AFC North and the rest of the schedule. I expect between Womack, St. Clair, Hadnot, Tucker and Sowells, the Browns will have enough depth and talent, to solidify the right side as well, and return to being an elite offensive line, keeping Quinn clean and opening holes for Jamal.

As for the defense, the line has its elite playmaker in Shaun Rogers. There is no denying his ability and how he can impact a game. Add in Corey Williams, Kenyon Coleman, CJ Mosley, a healthy Robaire Smith, Ahtyba Rubin and Shaun Smith, and the Browns have a good, deep seven man rotation on their line that should be able to withstand injury and/or failure to live up to expectations by a player or two (unlike the Tribe's bullpen).

People were upset with the passing of Rey Maualuga, and I guess I see some logic, as linebacker is another position where a rookie can step in immediately. But, it appears the coaching staff sees D'Qwell as an elite ILB, and Barton is a definitive upgrade over Andra Davis. Barton and Jackson mitigated the need to find a starting caliber ILB in this draft, especially given all the other holes on this squad, entering draft weekend. The Browns should be able to find solid depth from Kaluka Maiava, Beau Bell and Leon Williams; maybe not a starter, but solid backups who can perform on special teams. An injury to Jackson or Barton could be devastating however.

A pass rushing OLB was a definite need for this team. However, the problem with the 3-4 is that unless we drafted Clint Stintm from Virginia, it was going to be all projection and hope. I don't like taking that risk in round one, see Wimbley, Kamerion. I am cautiously optimistic David Veikune can develop into that guy, and I expect new defensive coordinator Rob Ryan to have more success with Wimbley and Alex Hall. Hall has some natural talent and speed, as does Wimbley, and if this staff can team them a new pass rush move or two, the Browns should be looking from that standpoint. And I like the upgrade from Willie McGinnest to David Bowens.

The starting corners are solid in McDonald and Wright. They made their mistakes last season, but a year of experience is invaluable to a corner and so is an improved pass rush. I don't care how good your corners are, they can't cover for 6 seconds (think back to the Seattle game in 07, and how Hasselbeck had all the time in the world). Hank Poteat and Corey Ivy are improvements as the nickel and dime backs, and draftees Coye Francies and Don Carey are intriguing developmental and/or special teams players.

Abram Elam was the big addition from the draft day trade, and he should make us easily forget about Sean Jones. Brodney Pool still makes me nervous, but he is serviceable, and his playing time could be greatly reduced if the Browns end up using Josh Cribbs at safety, as has been rumored. The rookie to keep your eye on here is Bryan Williams from Akron. Mangini and Kokinis inked him to a 3-year free agent deal, so they clearly like him. Is a Will Demps type performance possible? I am not ruling it out. He should at least make an impact on special teams.

The Browns have elite special teams with Phil Dawson, David Zastudil, Cribbs and fan-favorite Pro Bowler Ryan Pontbriand (my old roommate Matt and I called each other immediately in jubilation after Pontbriand made the Pro Bowl; thanks for something Butch).

The Browns had holes to be sure entering the draft. They had to fill as many as possible, and were not going to be able to fill all of them, especially after Phil Savage had jettisoned 2009 draft picks. They filled more holes than any of us could have imagined, and they did it while vastly improving organizational intelligence and discipline. Plus, the addition of the ex-Jets provides valuable guidance in the film room and on the field. The need for a superstar was overstated as they have Quinn, Edwards, Rogers, Jackson and I think one of Wright or Elam become a Pro Bowler this year. The Browns needed depth, to fill holes and get smarter. They have accomplished that this offseason.

All of the above mentioned moves, players and depth, coupled with the new coaching staff leave me thinking the Browns will finish 11-5 and sneak their way into the playoffs. That's right Jim Mora, I am talking playoffs. And this time, it won't be just an aberration; I am looking at you 2007 Browns. If you're wondering how I see the Browns winning 11 games, well, I will be back with that later this week, but know their easier schedule makes 11 wins attainable. You've got me on board Eric and George, don't let me down now.

I thought it was an interesting article.

I think a lot of people were thinking the browns would be in full purge/rebuild mode after Mangini came in and the initial round of veteran cuts were made, but I'd think those people would have to take a look at what the team has been doing since then. It sure doesn't look like he's in a pure rebuild mode. IMO, he doesn't want to wait another season to win (and who really wants that anyway); he wants to win right away. If you look at the schedule, it looks like a much easier schedule than 2008, actually a lot like 2007's schedule. I've always hated comparisons to strength of schedule for upcoming seasons as they have no basis in reality. Just because a team went 12-4 one year, there is no direct correlation that they are going to have the same record the next season, its all just assumptions that they will. Easy schedule or not easy schedule, they've still have to show up on gameday and execute.

I like the article above and agree with it for the most part, I think the team will be very competitive for the most part. Its a new season and most teams feel this way right now so why not us too?

If you were hoping for a Browns related disappointment and sigh of relief, well, I am of the camp that believes you can't grade a draft until a few years down the road. There have been countless drafts and players, we as fans have been ecstatic about, only to be letdown. So, maybe I am glad many fans and pundits are panning Mangini's moves. I did like the trades that were made and the picks and players acquired. I liked the move towards intelligent, disciplined football players.

Ever since Chris Palmer and his rag tag team, reminscient of Gene Hackman's in The Replacements, we have watched countless Browns teams lose games through idiotic plays or penalties (Dwayne Rudd's helmet toss immediately springs to mind). Butch Davis didn't change that culture. This 2009 team may still lose 10 games on the season, but it won't be caused by mental mistakes and stupid penalties, or Romeo Crennel Specials, as I liked to call them.

No, I am carrying much more optimism into 2009; so much in fact, that I am calling playoffs right now, including finally getting off the shnide against the Steelers. Yes, I am that optimistic. Many critics sounded off after Mangini and Kokinis didn't get an "impact player" in the draft. However, I think that need was grossly understated. The Browns were not as bad as their record indicates last year, and were not as good as 2007's 10-6 record either. But with an influx of solid supporting players who are disciplined and intelligent, I expect the leap to be made.

Very sweet write up! ;)

I can agree with most of it..i think the browns are going to give the afc north a shock this year on both sides of the ball....a whole lot of the problem over the past 4 years was coaching and discipline...i think under mangini the browns emerge as a contender this year..mankok has really done a good job on paper of plugging/improving the holes..

And i am very optimistic about the upcoming season and our chances! ;)

Very sweet write up! ;)

I can agree with most of it..i think the browns are going to give the afc north a shock this year on both sides of the ball....a whole lot of the problem over the past 4 years was coaching and discipline...i think under mangini the browns emerge as a contender this year..mankok has really done a good job on paper of plugging/improving the holes..

And i am very optimistic about the upcoming season and our chances! ;)

I totally agree we were so unprepared the last 4 years it was laughable. I agree that we could emerge as a contender this year I didn't think we were that untalented last year unfortunally it was injury, depth and just terrible coaching. I like how Mangini is going to run camp with a clock and referee's. We might lose some games but it won't be from being unprepared.

Archived