THE BROWNS BOARD

Roll Call... Who's Looking at Attending Oct. 15 @ HOU?

Tour2ma

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

fuck Houston, who's going to London??

Was not in the cards for me....financially or politically (meaning that there was no way that my wife would let me go without her...and she can't make it). I am combining the Houston game trip with my regular fall trip that I take, where I stay in either my timeshare or in cheap hotels. (see the thread in the Barber Shop). This time, it is cheap hotels...nothing over $75 a night. Plus I will be driving. Long trip, sure, but should all be good.

But I hope you and a bunch of us go to London and that you have a great time.

Was not in the cards for me....financially or politically (meaning that there was no way that my wife would let me go without her...and she can't make it). I am combining the Houston game trip with my regular fall trip that I take, where I stay in either my timeshare or in cheap hotels. (see the thread in the Barber Shop). This time, it is cheap hotels...nothing over $75 a night. Plus I will be driving. Long trip, sure, but should all be good.

But I hope you and a bunch of us go to London and that you have a great time.

I won't go back to Europe until they get their immigration/terrorism shit in order. Lookin for someone to take gifts to our London base for me so I don't have to pay 20lbs to ship a flippin 1lb item.

Btw road trip to TX is cool until you hit the border. armadillos and tumbleweed.

I won't go back to Europe until they get their immigration/terrorism shit in order. Lookin for someone to take gifts to our London base for me so I don't have to pay 20lbs to ship a flippin 1lb item.

Btw road trip to TX is cool until you hit the border. armadillos and tumbleweed.

I have never seen an Armadillo in Texas to be honest....or tumbleweed. I did a crunch number on an Armadillo once with my car in Mississippi...and saw them in Alabama, but not Texas. Tumbleweed? Yes....but much further out west. Eastern Texas around Houston is more like Louisiana....swampy.

I used to live in Houston and spent 12 weeks there a couple of years ago.

I have recommendations. No joke this time.

1.There is a downtown like Mardi Gras street with lots of bar and restaurants. I was foot traffic only and they had a light rail thing passing through there..

2.The battleship Texas has tours. You can go all through the ship.

3. There is this cafeteria style restaurant called "Clayburns" its all great American food hot and ready to serve. The Greek owner will get you for about $20 a person cash only. North central part of town. I had to stop there before leaving town.

4 The Lankford Store has really good home made breakfast. They are towards down town.

While I did not do the tour of the Battleship Texas, I was right there at it, at the Battle of San Jacinto Park, where they have a monument that somewhat resembles the Washington Monument. Of course, deliberately, the goobers in Texas had to make sure that their monument was taller....so it is 15-20 feet taller than the Washington Monument. Its a cool place though...the museum at the bottom telling the history of Texas...and its revolution against Mexico. In my travels I have only skirted around Houston....once, as I said going out to that San Jacinto monument. Another time going to the east through the Anhuac Wildlife Refuge, then spending a couple of nights in Galveston. This would be the first time I will have stopped in and seen things in Houston proper.

In fact, it may be the last "major league city" in America...and Canada...where I will have done that. For every other one I have spent some time touring their downtowns and sights. With Houston, I have only gone by the downtown on the freeway to the north.

Eastern Colarado and West Kansas has Tumbleweeds galore. They look square actually. They have fences up so they dont get in the road.

Yes... I know this as I was just out there in April! Went from KC, all the way across Kansas to Bent's Old Fort in Colo. and back again.

70 West?

I dont believe that this country will ever run out of vacant land.

I was on more backroads....only did a little bit of I-70. I was kind of following the Santa Fe Trail, from Olathe, to Lawrence, to Council Grove, to El Dorado, to McPherson, Great Bend, Ft. Larned, then on to Dodge City. Mainly along US 56. After I got the hell out of Dodge (like saying that when it was literally true), then head west to Colorado. Coming back east I followed US 40 some, then up to US 24 and 36. Went up into Nebraska a bit, then back down to Manhattan KS, and Topeka. Then I headed down to Ft. Scott, before coming back to KCMo. The only parts of I-70 I was on was between Lawrence and Manhattan.

Wow, You have seen more of Kansas and Nebraska than I have. I live not far from Olathe. Every small town in Kansas seems the same - a grain silo, about 3 sets of traffic lights, a Caseys store gas and pizza (sometimes not in that order) and 1 police car.

Yea, that's about right. Except there are some quite interesting things to see along the way.

In Olathe there is a pioneer museum of sorts.

Near Baldwin there was a location where a battle was fought between John Brown and pro slavery forces.

There is an old school house in there somewhere. Council Grove has the remnants of the Council Oak...where a treaty was signed. It also has the longest continuing operating restaurant west of the Mississippi.

There is the Tallgrass Prairie National Preserve. Cottonwood Falls has a cool old courthouse. There are nice lakes in El Dorado and Marion. You can see bison at the Maxwell Game Preserve....and there is nice Wildlife Reserves at Quivera and Cheyenne Bottoms. I already mentioned Fort Larned National Historic site along with Dodge City, which is very cool. That was just heading west. Coming back east you had the Nicodemus National Historic Site.....Homestead NHS up in Nebraska, the center of the USA near Lebanon. Hollenberg Pony Express, Tuttle Creek near Manhattan. The Konza Prairie, Brown vs. Bd. of Education in Topeka, plus the capitol,then down to Ft. Scott.

Whats cool about your route is that back in the day Cowboys traveled on the same hallowed ground by horse. Ive heard that wagon wheel ruts are still there on parts of the Santa Fe and Oregon trails.

They are there, yes.

love to see how a fact-filled thread and post that is genuine turn into a gipper car wreck.

most friends and family in TX. twin bro in the colony. most the other dredges live close by.

OIFF. antics abound.

love to see how a fact-filled thread and post that is genuine turn into a gipper car wreck.

most friends and family in TX. twin bro in the colony. most the other dredges live close by.

OIFF. antics abound.

How is this a fact filled thread? It is about a tailgate in Houston. In other words, its a travel thread. What facts about that do you want to know that you are not being given? You said fuck it anyway...that you wanted to talk about London. So, start a London game thread.

Sorry if my exuberance for life disturbs your boring existence.

How is this a fact filled thread? It is about a tailgate in Houston. In other words, its a travel thread. What facts about that do you want to know that you are not being given? You said fuck it anyway...that you wanted to talk about London. So, start a London game thread.

Sorry if my exuberance for life disturbs your boring existence.

Dates and times is all.

Dates and times is all.

That was established in one sentence, in one post. Cleveland Browns at Houston Texans. Sunday, October 15, 2017 1:00 pm Eastern (Noon local) NRG Stadium.

You can stay at the Browns backers hotel, the Holiday Inn, near the stadium. Tailgate activities at BW3 in Rice Village the previous evening.

You can go to this link to find almost all info:

http://scdp.houstonbrownsbackers.com/

Now, what else do you want to talk about?

• 3 weeks later...

post-2383-0-87874200-1503265029_thumb.jpg

So this picture was taken last night by my Houston friends before they played the cheaters. The drive on the left is the hotel I am at Comfort Inn. the entrance is the YELLOW lot, my friends usually are the first ones in line every game. We will be "curbgating" at that very spot until our friends show up. Now they tell me that we cant get in the lot until 9am, but a true browns fan knows that tailgating err I mean curbgating begins at 5am.

The drive on the left is the hotel I am at Comfort Inn. the entrance is the YELLOW lot...

... and at the very left edge of the photo is the old 'Dome...

Interestingly, I just came back from French Lick Indiana, and nearby is the West Baden Springs Hotel, built in 1902, and supposedly it had the nations largest enclosed dome until they built the Astrodome.

5636b6958f3484588f8ef32e.jpg

I didn't see that good catch

So, I am all set.  Up until this morning there was some doubt about whether or not I would even do this trip, due to the fact that, unfortuneately, my daughter will not be able to join me for the game, as she has to attend a wedding in Virginia the very same day as the game. However, I have rearranged my schedule so that she can come into Houston and meet up with me on the Thursday before the game, spend Friday together in Houston, but then she must leave Saturday morning to be back in San Antonio to catch a flight that evening to DC.  I had even thought of switching my entire trip to meet her in Virginia, but she would have been completely tied up with wedding BS, so we would have had no time.

Well, I guess its good in a sense, because she told me that she would be rooting for the fucking DumbAssTexans. Now we get to avoid that fight!:lol:

Actually, I thought she was a Cowboy fan...but, no, she said, she like the DATs better. Oi!

Another thing that is making it finally possible to go is that I was able to secure a free flight. (well....an $11.20 flight...as the taxes had to be paid). But I have to fly into Gulfport Miss.  which is only like 80 miles from New Orleans.  So, I will be 2 nights in N.O.;  2 nights in Lafayette, and 4 nights in Houston, plus another night in like either N.O. Gulfport or the like.  Another great deal is the discounts from Hilton:  $45-57 a night in Houston, $49 a night in Lafayette,  $59-69 in N.O.  I am pretty much getting all these for less than half price.

19 hours ago, The Gipper said:

For whatever reason, that link is not working.

Appears that old links have been rendered useless by the site update...

22 hours ago, The Gipper said:

But...one other thing: still need a ticket.   Daughter cannot attend game due to wedding.

Has anyone got a ticket, or buy an extra ticket that they have available.   Preference would be to sit with one of all y'all than by myself.

Ill check my sources

I am going to the game(s) AT Baltimore, Cintucky, and at Indy, I will not go to the game at Pisspuke even though it is only 30 min from my house, I will be going to the Home games against Pisspuke, Ratbirds and Bungles and Jets game. Don't have great seats but I enjoy them, up in the top section, will be under shelter if it rains :) but tbh I like the top. You can see the play develop. Maybe I will get to meet some of you guys this year. Either way GO BROWNS

17 minutes ago, medicineman said:

I am going to the game(s) AT Baltimore, Cintucky, and at Indy, I will not go to the game at Pisspuke even though it is only 30 min from my house, I will be going to the Home games against Pisspuke, Ratbirds and Bungles and Jets game. Don't have great seats but I enjoy them, up in the top section, will be under shelter if it rains :) but tbh I like the top. You can see the play develop. Maybe I will get to meet some of you guys this year. Either way GO BROWNS

If you are interested in tailgating with our group at the home games, check out my posts in the Tailgating forum. Several of us are also going to Indy, Houston and Detroit.

Archived