THE BROWNS BOARD

Lost careers

The Gipper

The post I just made brought up something interesting that I heard discussed on the radio today.

That is: What super promising players had their careers curtailed by a devastating injury. This is a woulda, coulda, shoulda been a great player. Here are a few examples I can come up with, not limited to just football:

Ernie Davis, died of Leukemia

Joe Charboneau, back injury

Marcus Dupree, knee

Ki-Jana Carter, knee

Steve Emtman, ??

Sam Bowie, feet

Herb Score

Tony Conigliaro

A few others had good careers, yet they were still limited by injury:

Bill Walton, feet

Grant Hill

Albert Bell

Bo Jackson

Don't forget Roy Hobbs, gunshot wound

(and for reality, there was Sean Taylor)

Name some others

Darryl Stingley...Patriots receiver rendered a quadriplegic after a hit by Jack Tatum. Stingley passed away in 2007.

Joe Delaney...Chiefs running back who died attempting to save children from drowning. A real HERO in my book. Only played 2 years.

Mike

The post I just made brought up something interesting that I heard discussed on the radio today.

That is: What super promising players had their careers curtailed by a devastating injury. This is a woulda, coulda, shoulda been a great player. Here are a few examples I can come up with, not limited to just football:

Ernie Davis, died of Leukemia

Joe Charboneau, back injury

Marcus Dupree, knee

Ki-Jana Carter, knee

Steve Emtman, ??

Sam Bowie, feet

Herb Score

Tony Conigliaro

A few others had good careers, yet they were still limited by injury:

Bill Walton, feet

Grant Hill

Albert Bell

Bo Jackson

Don't forget Roy Hobbs, gunshot wound

(and for reality, there was Sean Taylor)

Name some others

Lyman Bostock ... murder

Zombo

DON ROGERS - Brutal hitter and knew how to cover. Defensive backfield general. Hall Of Famer for sure.

BO JACKSON - I know he was already mentioned, but I'm mentioning him again. Guy was in a league of his own when he got hurt. Would have rivalled the immortal Jim Brown.

DERRICK THOMAS - Nice career cut short early.

STEVE OLIN - Was just coming into his own.

DWJ

Guest AdaM
DON ROGERS - Brutal hitter and knew how to cover. Defensive backfield general. Hall Of Famer for sure.

BO JACKSON - I know he was already mentioned, but I'm mentioning him again. Guy was in a league of his own when he got hurt. Would have rivalled the immortal Jim Brown.

DERRICK THOMAS - Nice career cut short early.

STEVE OLIN - Was just coming into his own.

DWJ

I remember back in I think it was 1991, I was 6 years old and had just heard of the boat accident. My Steve Olin rookie card went from being worth $3 to $99 the next week. Then I lost it in a move along with a Hank Aaron card my grandpa gave me :(

Guest AdaM
On a serious note... Magic Johnson - HIV virus in the prime of his career.

Pretty sure Magic was 31 when he announced he had HIV. I don't think any athlete is considered in their prime at 31, but he probably could have played a few more seasons.

Pretty sure Magic was 31 when he announced he had HIV. I don't think any athlete is considered in their prime at 31, but he probably could have played a few more seasons.

Oops, he played longer than I recalled.

I don't think any athlete is considered in their prime at 31, but he probably could have played a few more seasons.

depends on the sport. MMA athletes hit their prime in the low to mid 30's. Then have about a 4 year window to be great.

Lyman Bostock ... murder

Zombo

Was he the victim? Or the perpetrator? Who was that guy from the Carolina Panthers who had his ex-girlfriend killed because he didn't want to deal with a kid, give up his lifestyle, and pay child support. Rae something.

How about Eric the Hitman Turner. He was only 31 and died from cancer. DAN SNYDER (Na 25tional Hockey League, Atlanta Thrashers). REGGIE LEWIS 27(NBA, Boston Celtics. Nick Adenhart 24(Angels). They all are so tragic, but life goes on.

How about Eric the Hitman Turner. He was only 31 and died from cancer. DAN SNYDER (Na 25tional Hockey League, Atlanta Thrashers). REGGIE LEWIS 27(NBA, Boston Celtics. Nick Adenhart 24(Angels). They all are so tragic, but life goes on.

Len Bias 22, Boston Celtics. Died from a cocaine overdose 48 hrs after being made the 2nd overall pick in the draft.

Len Bias 22, Boston Celtics. Died from a cocaine overdose 48 hrs after being made the 2nd overall pick in the draft.

While Len Bias was tragic, it was also of his own doing. I don't feel nearly the sympathy for him as, say, Hank Gathers who dropped dead on the court of hypertrophic cardiomyopathy.

My list:

1) Bo Jackson. I don't think this could be stated enough. He would have smashed records.

2) Gale Sayers. The most unfortunate part of his story is that today, that injury wouldn't be career ending.

3) Kirk Dressendorfer- All-American pitcher at Texas (same time as Alex Fernandez was leading Miami). Coach overused him and he got drafted in the first round by the A's (same year as Van Poppel). He got to the majors within four months but had gotten a rotator cuff injury as a part of overuse and he went on to surgery and never really played again. By far the best amateur pitcher I ever saw.

4) Jeff Bagwell. Finished tied (at the time) with Frank Thomas with 449 HRs. Had a degenerative shoulder problem. Couldn't even lift a cup of coffee much less throw. Had at least a shot at 500 HRs.

5) Al Toon- What this guy and Chrebet had to live through with post-concussion syndrome is horrifying.

6) Frank Bush- LB with the Oilers (late 80s) who was all over the field on every play. Third game of his second season he suffered a career ending spinal injury. He's now Texans DC.

7) Brian Piccolo- Sorry, I cry every time. It's like a chick-flick for guys.

Was he the victim? Or the perpetrator?

He was the victim. He was 27 and a career .311 hitter when he died in 1978. Played for the Twins, and then signed one of the first big free agent deals with the Angels. He was visiting his uncle when he tragically got caught in the wrong place at the wrong time:

Bostock was able to recover his hitting stroke, and by the time the 1978 season neared its conclusion, he had the highest batting average on the Angel ballclub. With a week remaining in the season, he went 2 for 4 with a walk in a Saturday afternoon game against the White Sox in Chicago, to raise his average to .296. Following the game, as he regularly did when in Chicago, Bostock visited his uncle, Thomas Turner, in nearby Gary, Indiana. After eating a meal with a group of relatives at Turner's home, Bostock and his uncle went to visit Joan Hawkins, a woman whom Bostock had tutored as a teenager, but had not seen for several years. After the visit, Turner agreed to give Hawkins and her sister, Barbara Smith, a ride to their cousin's house. Smith had been living with Hawkins while estranged from her husband, Leonard Smith. Unbeknownst to the group, Leonard Smith was outside Hawkins's home in his car and observed the group's departure in Turner's car.

As Turner's vehicle was stopped at a traffic signal at the intersection of 5th and Jackson Streets, Smith's car pulled up alongside them. Smith leaned out of his vehicle and fired one blast of a .410 caliber shotgun into the back seat of Turner's car, where his wife and Bostock were seated. Smith did not know Bostock, but Smith later claimed that his wife was frequently unfaithful to him, and that based upon his observance of Bostock getting into the car with Barbara Smith, he concluded that the two were having an affair. In fact, Bostock had only met the woman twenty minutes previously, when he and his uncle arrived at Hawkins's home.

Leonard Smith said that his lethal wrath was intended for his estranged wife. However, Bostock was seated between Barbara Smith and the position from which Leonard Smith was firing. The blast missed the woman and instead struck Bostock in the right temple. He died two hours later at a Gary hospital.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lyman_Bostock

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/eticket/story?page=bostock

Zombo

Dennis Byrd, 20 sacks and 110 tackles in his first 2 seasons before that KC game.

Have to agree with Eric Turner, I loved that guy.

Pistol Pete Maravich, now THERE was a real BB player. He got his time in the league though, probably could have played a bit more than he did.

Pat Tillman, at least he died for something he believed in. Was a solid guy would have had a long and reliable career.

Darrent Williams, lived a relatively clean life and got gunned down outside of a club.

Sean Taylor, cleaned up his life and some punk broke into his house and gunned him down in the middle of the night.

Korey Stringer, damn fine athlete and human being, heat exhaustion.

Reggie Lewis, diagnosed with a heart disorder, forced to retire after only playing 6 seasons then died while practicing shooting hoops.

While Len Bias was tragic, it was also of his own doing. I don't feel nearly the sympathy for him as, say, Hank Gathers who dropped dead on the court of hypertrophic cardiomyopathy.

My list:

1) Bo Jackson. I don't think this could be stated enough. He would have smashed records.

2) Gale Sayers. The most unfortunate part of his story is that today, that injury wouldn't be career ending.

3) Kirk Dressendorfer- All-American pitcher at Texas (same time as Alex Fernandez was leading Miami). Coach overused him and he got drafted in the first round by the A's (same year as Van Poppel). He got to the majors within four months but had gotten a rotator cuff injury as a part of overuse and he went on to surgery and never really played again. By far the best amateur pitcher I ever saw.

4) Jeff Bagwell. Finished tied (at the time) with Frank Thomas with 449 HRs. Had a degenerative shoulder problem. Couldn't even lift a cup of coffee much less throw. Had at least a shot at 500 HRs.

5) Al Toon- What this guy and Chrebet had to live through with post-concussion syndrome is horrifying.

6) Frank Bush- LB with the Oilers (late 80s) who was all over the field on every play. Third game of his second season he suffered a career ending spinal injury. He's now Texans DC.

7) Brian Piccolo- Sorry, I cry every time. It's like a chick-flick for guys.

No one is asking you to feel sympathy...lol Don Rodgers is listed by someone and his was also self-inflicted.

Archived