THE BROWNS BOARD

Hackers able to break into US voting machines in 90 minutes

jbluhm86

Thus proving Trump right, or something.

No, our govt. isn't great at things like technology

The US are world leaders in technology, but being great often leads to hubris. If a bunch of computer nerds at a nerd con are capable of breaking into voting machines for shits n' giggles, then how far out of the realm of possibility is it for foreign governments or actors hostile to the US to do the same?

I won't use an electronic voting machine until they start using a secure solution. Your vote may not count for much anyway, but you have basically no way of knowing if it really counted as you intended it to with most voting machines.

I've stated the solution before but here it is again:

1) Blockchain

Makes it essentially impossible to retroactively go back and change a transaction (a vote in this case)

Makes information (votes in this case) easily auditable and verifiable.

2) Open source voting software

Then anybody including the voting public can inspect it. The blockchain is incredibly secure and verifiable and can't be changed and all that - but it still doesn't protect against the possibility of the software picking B when the voter wanted to pick A.

---

There's a company that has built a prototype already that is both of those things.

The only issue I haven't seen addressed is that even though the software is open source, how can you know that the software on the machine is the same as the code posted on the internet somewhere.

Probably would need include some kind of checksum information on the blockchain or something

Archived