THE BROWNS BOARD

2017 Ohio Highschool Football

Still a few weeks away from real games.

Anyone got any horses in the race this year?

This thread dwindled last year, but I figured we'll give it another shot this year.

St. X

St. IGGy

Moeller

Elder

St.Eds

Mentor

Colerain

Wayne

Stow

Div 1favorites.

EF’S JJH/MP OHIO HS PRESEASON TOP 10 (for other divisions see link)

http://www.jjhuddle.com/2017/07/22/2017-ohio-football-division-i-preseason-state-poll-and-preview/

1. Pickerington Central (Pickerington) – 12-2, D-I state semifinalist, Region 3 champion

The Tigers have unfinished business after reaching the final four last year and falling 29-27 to eventual state champion St. Xavier. Talent is on overload. Seniors Trenton Gillison (tight end) and Xavier Henderson (defensive back) have committed to Michigan State. Senior defensive back Jeremiah Wood holds 11 offers including Cincinnati, Rutgers, Kentucky and Iowa State. Senior tight end Alex Morgan has committed to Toledo. Other key returning seniors include offensive linemen Brody Egan and Trey Madison and defensive back Jalen Mitchell. Junior defensive tackle DeWayne Carter holds six offers, including Tennessee, Indiana and Kentucky. The quarterback? Super sophomore Demeatric Crenshaw (Kentucky offer). It’s time.

2. St. Xavier (Cincinnati) – 10-5, D-I state champion, Region 4 champion

The Bombers became the first team to enter Ohio’s playoffs 5-5 and win a state title (program’s third overall). Must replace 12 All-Greater Catholic League selections. Senior quarterback Chase Wolf (1,291 yards and 15 touchdowns) has committed to Wisconsin and takes over full-time under center. He has two outstanding targets in senior receivers Cameron Specht (68 receptions, 655 yards, three touchdowns) and Andrew Wittrock (50 receptions, 569 yards, nine touchdowns). Senior defensive end Blake Bacevich has committed to Cincinnati. He had 10 tackles, 1.5 tackles-for-loss, a sack and a fumble recovery against St. Ignatius in last year’s state championship.

3. Wayne (Huber Heights) – 11-1-1, Region 3 finalist

The Warriors return enough talent to make a third state final in four years. The headliner is senior receiver L’christian Blue Smith who holds 14 offers, including Ohio State, Alabama, Michigan, Notre Dame and Penn State. Junior quarterback Rashad McKee directs the offense. The defense features senior defensive end Alex Reigelsperger (Kentucky) and senior defensive back Demetrius Ross.

4. Colerain (Cincinnati) – 11-1, Region 4 semifinalist

The Cardinals split a pair of overtime games with St. Xavier last season, but dropped the postseason meeting 29-23. The linebacking corps will feature two good ones in senior Dan Bolden and junior Ivan Pace. The offense is loaded. A pair of quarterbacks that earned All-Greater Miami Conference honors last year return in senior Gunnar Leyendecker (10 total touchdowns) and junior Deante Smith (11 total touchdowns). Junior running backs Jarin “jj” Davis and Syncere Jones and senior receiver Ja’von Hicks (Cincinnati) were also All-GMC selections.

5. St. Ignatius (Cleveland) – 13-2, D-I state runner-up, Region 1 champion

Both the Wildcats’ losses last season came in overtime, including a 29-23 setback to St. Xavier in the state final. Ignatius was denied its 12th state championship. Expect the Wildcats to contend again. Senior running back Mark Bobinski (1,159 yards, 22 touchdowns) returns to run behind an offensive line anchored by seniors Jack Jamieson and Darian Kinnard (Kentucky). Senior athlete Connor Kennedy will impact both sides of the ball.

6. St. Edward (Lakewood) – 9-3, Region 1 finalist

The Eagles are looking for the program’s 23rd playoff berth overall and eighth straight. Defense will be a calling card. The secondary features two of Ohio’s finest in seniors Michael Dowell (Michigan State) and Darnell Shields (Cincinnati). Senior linebacker Omar Fattah (135 tackles, 15 tackles-for-loss) is a good one. Senior kicker Mason Lawler is a difference maker. Keep an eye on junior athlete Caden Kolesar and senior defensive end Will Henry.

7. Mentor – 6-4

The Cardinals faced six playoff teams in their first seven games last year and had to use a four-game win streak to end the season to finish above .500. Senior quarterback Tadas Tatarunas returns for a third year under center having thrown for 5,271 yards and 47 touchdowns the last two seasons. Other key senior returners are receiver Steven Baird, offensive lineman Ryan Jacoby and kicker Derek Kleinhenz. Junior defensive end Noah Potter holds offers from Boston College, Bowling Green and Toledo.

8. Whitmer (Toledo) – 8-3, Region 2 quarterfinalist

The Panthers will showcase sophomore quarterback Riley Keller who shows a lot of promise and holds offers from Mississippi and Toledo. Senior tight end Josh Close is a threat. The defense features senior linebacker Kaleb Breitner and senior defensive back Sam Stickels. Keep an eye on junior defensive end Cavon Butler (56 tackles).

9. Archbishop Moeller (Cincinnati) – 4-6

The Crusaders, who own 33 playoff berths, are looking to snap a two-year postseason absence. Moeller owns nine big school Ohio titles with its most recent coming in 2012 and 2013. Senior defensive lineman Aeneas Hawkins owns 34 offers, including Ohio State, Alabama, USC, Clemson and Oklahoma. Senior tight end Brenden Bates (Kentucky) and senior running back Colin Thurman (Navy) are also headed to D-I schools. Junior athlete RJ Khayo (five total touchdowns) is one to watch. Junior offensive lineman Zach Carpenter holds 10 offers, including UCLA, Northwestern, Louisville, Vanderbilt and Virginia.

10. Pickerington North (Pickerington) – 8-4, Region 3 semifinalist

Should be special year for football in Pickerington. While rival Central debuts at No. 1, the Panthers also stake a claim by rounding out the Top 10. Senior quarterback Jimmy Weirick (2,900 passing yards and 35 total touchdowns last year) and receiver Ty Wiley form a potent duo. Senior offensive lineman Devin Snyder is solid. The defense is led by senior end Alex Williams (West Virginia) and senior defensive back Tyler Potts (Ball State). Buckle up.

Teams to Watch…

* Jackson (Massillon) – 7-4, Region 1 quarterfinalist

The Polar Bears own D-I state basketball and baseball titles and will try for the trifecta. Coming off the program’s first playoff berth since 2004, Jackson returns senior quarterback Jaret Pallotta who has committed to UMass. Pallotta threw for a school record 2,041 yards and 18 touchdowns last year.

* Fairfield – 7-4, Region 4 quarterfinalist

The Indians own some of the state’s top talent. Senior offensive lineman Jackson Carman owns 41 offers and is one of the country’s top uncommitted seniors. His offers include Ohio State, Alabama, Clemson, USC and Texas. Senior linebacker Malik Vann has committed to Cincinnati and is one of Ohio’s Top 15 prospects. Other key seniors include receiver Chico Robinson, linebacker Nashon Bell and defensive back Rudy Jones. Junior offensive lineman Jacob Hensley is one to watch.

* Solon – 10-2, Region 1 semifinalist

The Comets are a playoff regular having missed the playoffs just once since 1999. Senior defensive back Taj Ward (Cincinnati commit) and senior running back Thomas Wilks headline their respective units. Junior defensive end Nathaniel Leskovec (22 tackles-for-loss) holds an offer from Wake Forest.

* Olentangy Orange (Lewis Center) – 6-5, Region 2 quarterfinalist

The Pioneers will feature one of the state’s top defensive units led by the duo of senior linebacker Bryce Houston and junior end Zach Harrison. Harrison is the state’s top junior prospect according to the 247sports composite rankings and a Top 10 prospect nationally. He holds 14 offers including Ohio State, Alabama, USC, Stanford and Michigan.

* Perry (Massillon, Ohio) – 12-3, D-II state runner-up, Region 7 champion

The Panthers bump up from D-II where they made the last two state finals (lost to LaSalle both times). Senior defensive lineman Zachary Blackiston (100 tackles, 15 sacks) returns.

Keep an eye on…

Olentangy (Lewis Center)

Olentangy Liberty (Powell)

Lakota West (West Chester)

Mason

Springfield

Centerville

Cleveland.Com - (see link for other divisions)

http://www.cleveland.com/hssports/blog/index.ssf/2017/07/clevelandcoms_way_too_early_20.html

1. Huber Heights Wayne (11-1-1 last year)

2. St. Ignatius (13-2)

3. St. Edward (9-3)

4. Pickerington Central (12-2)

5. Cincinnati St. Xavier (10-5)

6. Fairfield (7-4)

7. Cincinnati Archbishop Moeller (4-6)

8. Cincinnati Elder (6-5)

9. Colerain (11-1)

10. Toledo Whitmer (8-3)

PBR - https://www.prepbaseballreport.com/news/OH/2017-Ohio-Division-I-Preseason-Top-50-Team-Power-Rankings-2370615849

1 Mason -

2 Massillon Jackson

3 Archbishop Moeller -

4 Gahanna Lincoln -

5 Cincinnati St. Xavier -

6 La Salle -

7 Milford -

8 Loveland

9 St. Ignatius

10 Amherst Steele

11 Olentangy Orange

12 Solon

13 Vandalia-Butler -

14 Big Walnut

15 Springboro -

16 Thomas Worthington

17 Toledo St. Francis de Sales

18 Hilliard Darby

19 Strongsville-

20 Hudson

....FOR 21-50 SEE LINK.....

Enlighten us Gipper....

Do you know anything about highschoool sports?

Year after year you go to the asshole card for a highschool football thread.

Obviously your kids were never good enough to be "recruited".

Probaly because you kept making excuses for them....

Enlighten us Gipper....

Do you know anything about highschoool sports?

Year after year you go to the asshole card for a highschool football thread.

Obviously your kids were never good enough to be "recruited".

Probaly because you kept making excuses for them....

Sorry if my accuracy in my facts disturbs your delusions. And if you don't think these parochial schools don't recruit...then you are delusional.

My kids went to a very fine High school. They were recruited for their intellect, not for athletics. My son is in the process of getting his PhD. from an Ivy League School...Cornell.

http://bmcb.cornell.edu/

http://bmcb.cornell.edu/current/directory.html He is in here if you want to try to find him.

My daughter recently graduated from the #1 ranked regional university in the entire western US. (She did cheerleading there....which she considered a sport). https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/rankings/regional-universities-west).

So, let us know who recruited your kids.

Highschool football Gipper. Stay on track and bring facts.

Congrats on your childrens education.

You have any highschool football takes? Or is it just your mission to derail this thread every year?

You are the one that got off track....bringing family into it. I have high school football takes, but clearly, just like Jack Nicholson said: you can't handle the truth.

Nevertheless......so far only the top division was listed here in terms of contending teams. Provide some data on the lower divisions. There, now you have some direction that will help bring you back on track.

You are the one that got off track....bringing family into it. I have high school football takes, but clearly, just like Jack Nicholson said: you can't handle the truth.

Nevertheless......so far only the top division was listed here in terms of contending teams. Provide some data on the lower divisions. There, now you have some direction that will help bring you back on track.

For Divisions I through VII are in the JJHUDDLE link, hit the football tab and there's all data you want.

The other links also have complete rankings.

Want more high school information? See the scouting ohio thread or this link:

Anybody use this high school football site?

http://scoutingohio.com/

I see it featured every week on our local TV 21 WFMJ.

yappi is another source for gossip mixed with facts.

scoutingohio is a site that profits off of kids looking to get noticed for scholarships.

jjpuddle was place before factions broke off and formed yappi.

I don't follow the lower divisions....kinda like following D2 or D3 in college ball.

yappi is another source for gossip mixed with facts.

scoutingohio is a site that profits off of kids looking to get noticed for scholarships.

jjpuddle was place before factions broke off and formed yappi.

I don't follow the lower divisions....kinda like following D2 or D3 in college ball.

Except for the fact that some of the best talent in the state is in those lower divisions. Locally here some teams in the lower divisions are no doubt stronger than the teams in the higher divisions. St.V/St.M and Hoban (yep, the schools that can recruit), both lower division could probably defeat the likes of McKinley and Massillon and Stow and Hudson.

On another note, I would like to say that Wadsworth, Norton, and Barberton were schools to watch....but they aren't. Wadsworth had been, but they lost their good coach a while back and they just aren't good any more.

absolutely you can find D1 talent at all levels of highschool football.

and there are years were maybe a D2 or D3 could compete with the D1 champion(highschool levels)

but depth usually will decide it.

Why do you think 'elite' players would want to play for Hoban?

absolutely you can find D1 talent at all levels of highschool football.

and there are years were maybe a D2 or D3 could compete with the D1 champion(highschool levels)

but depth usually will decide it.

Why do you think 'elite' players would want to play for Hoban?

Because it can be an outstanding program. You know...it is one of those parochial schools that recruits. And in the Akron area you have either Hoban or st. V. or Walsh....all of similar size.

So were getting somewhere on this. You've identified a couple programs that can be outstanding.

Now heres the tricky part. Can you force these kids to attend or is it a choice?

What constitutes recruiting to you?

You don't force, obviously....it is a choice obviously.....you induce. In my family's case, my niece/nephew went to StV.StM because the parents are fairly staunchly Catholic, and sent the kids to parochial school from the get go. (and it had to do with the Catholic slant on education...and nothing to do with athletics). But, in the case of LeBron and his cohorts who were classmates of my nephew.....they were non-Catholics, but they were induced to attend St.V. Had that not happened LeBron would have attended the local public school: Kenmore. St. V/M enticed him to go there rather than attend Kenmore.

Now, I know that LeBron is a huge, huge supporter of St.V/M he built their new gym. And it is one of the reasons he could stay in this area.....I am certain that he wants his kids to go there, no doubt. He will always maintain a home in Akron area, even if he should move part time to LA.

But ab initio, with someone like that, yes, inducements were in place. (and by inducements....I do not even mean like they got cash to go.....it could have been something as simple as "look how good of an education you can get here.....look how good our program is here....we have sent XYZ players to the pros and to big time college...you can have that too.

If you don't think that StV/M is not using their LeBron connection to induce other good local players to attend there rather than going to the local public high schools, more fool you. Ignatius, Moeller, St. Ed...all they have to do is roll out the success they have had in the past in sports as an inducement to get people to attend.

The privates offer a better product more than not.

That's how they keep the doors open.

what your calling inducements is actually the schools advertising their product, which is an 'opportunity' to receive a better education, training etc..

Not always the case but again more than not.

You mention LeBrons situation which is far from the norm. Look at Mauriice Claretts highschool 'journey'

We are also now in the age of open enrollments which gets dicey casue publics are robbing from other publics.

Do some students receive financial aid to attend some of these privates? Yes. But said student is still held to the same standards as any other student once enrolled. The privates have the luxury of expelling a student who is not meeting the criteria while the publics do not.

So if you think offering a better product and advertising your product is 'recruiting' then we're at an impass.

competitive balance now is another whole can of worms....

The privates offer a better product more than not.

That's how they keep the doors open.

what your calling inducements is actually the schools advertising their product, which is an 'opportunity' to receive a better education, training etc..

Well...yes, they advertise their product. Sometimes they do it generally....and sometime directly....that is called "recruiting".

Not always the case but again more than not.

You mention LeBrons situation which is far from the norm. Look at Mauriice Claretts highschool 'journey'

Not that familiar with it.

We are also now in the age of open enrollments which gets dicey casue publics are robbing from other publics.

Yes, with open enrollments....public schools have joined the ranks of recruiters.

Do some students receive financial aid to attend some of these privates? Yes. But said student is still held to the same standards as any other student once enrolled. The privates have the luxury of expelling a student who is not meeting the criteria while the publics do not.

And like some college students, the star athletes may major in trying not to get expelled.

So if you think offering a better product and advertising your product is 'recruiting' then we're at an impass.

Whether they offer a better education product...debatable. Sometimes yes, sometimes no. (Charter schools...no way, not in Ohio) St.V/M and Hoban likely offer a better education product than the Akron city schools...but not necessarily better than many suburban schools. And, again, direct advertising: personal direct contacts....offering "financial aid"....in many cases read it: "free ride" (LeBron's mom could not afford to send him to St.V/M early on.....not until they began to get the idea that they were going to get the big bucks from an agent)..you can call that advertising, and if we are at an impass it is only because you refuse to acknowledge that such things constitute recruiting. Come on Fonzie...say it: Wr....wr....wr...wr...wr....wrecruiting.

competitive balance now is another whole can of worms....

The worm being that those schools that recruit have an advantage in obtaining competitive superiority.

The "balance" ..the competiveness...may come between schools that recruit: St Ig vs. St. Ed. Moeller vs. Xavier. Hoban vs. St.VM

They absolutely have an advantage in gaining competitive superiority. Its called a better product.

I would like nothing better than a league of superior teams who strive for greatness in and out of the classroom.

Its probably the only way folks are gonna be happy. Get ready though, there is gonna be like 99 differents trophies being handed out so 'little johnny' doesn't feel left out.

Side effect of a super league is that there are no restrictions on 'recruiting' at this point since the new super league will have no affiliation with OHSSA.

They absolutely have an advantage in gaining competitive superiority. Its called a better product.

I would like nothing better than a league of superior teams who strive for greatness in and out of the classroom.

Its probably the only way folks are gonna be happy. Get ready though, there is gonna be like 99 differents trophies being handed out so 'little johnny' doesn't feel left out.

Side effect of a super league is that there are no restrictions on 'recruiting' at this point since the new super league will have no affiliation with OHSSA.

There ARE too many divisions in Ohio HS football now, no doubt. What are there 7? Used to be only 3.

If such a "super League" as you described would be formed....then they would never be invited to play in the Ohio Tournament...and could never be called State of Ohio Champions. They could form it and just have a big circle jerk among themselves. (and as far as I am concerned...no other OHSSA school should ever schedule them)

the whole premise of a 'super' league is so that they wouldn't have to play with any OHSSA teams.

Your looking at the OHSSA format if your talking circle jerk.....'super' league would be a national schedule not limited to OH.

I know who is gonna have a better product without even playing in the OH tournament and so would everyone else.Teams like Menter, Wayne, Mason etc. would be in this 'super' league. Its not going to be just private schools.

the whole premise of a 'super' league is so that they wouldn't have to play with any OHSSA teams.

Your looking at the OHSSA format if your talking circle jerk.....'super' league would be a national schedule not limited to OH.

I know who is gonna have a better product without even playing in the OH tournament and so would everyone else.Teams like Menter, Wayne, Mason etc. would be in this 'super' league. Its not going to be just private schools.

Then they can be like Rollerball.....just have corporate affilliated teamss...not representing anything but themselves and their own self interests.

Then they can be like Rollerball.....just have corporate affilliated teamss...not representing anything but themselves and their own self interests.

Rollerball? Gipper were you out in the sun too long on your latest trip? :lol:

• 2 months later...
On 11/13/2017 at 11:29 PM, mjp28 said:

Anyone following the 2017 HS Playoffs?  

Yes, had interest in a few teams:

Wadsworth ...my kids school...lost on a missed extra point.

Barberton and Hoban square off at Green Stadium. (many friends and extended family attended both)

St. Vincent St. Mary  meets Canfield  (niece and nephew attended SVSM

1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

Yes, had interest in a few teams:

Wadsworth ...my kids school...lost on a missed extra point.

Barberton and Hoban square off at Green Stadium. (many friends and extended family attended both)

St. Vincent St. Mary  meets Canfield  (niece and nephew attended SVSM

I think Canfield wins that one, good team and special year......but don't all playoff teams think that.

Archived