THE BROWNS BOARD

Brock won't play Saturday, per Adam Schefter

Adoug319

Deshone is the future and heads the depth chart into the "Dress Rehearsal".

Kessler is a Sashi/Hugh pick and showed last year that he can play in this league and be accurate.

Oz is a 22 Million$ flop who tripped over himself in his last two starts, his only playoff game, and his shot as a starter last year.

Kevin Hogan is a talented, athletic young guy who has been in the system for two years and could be worth something in the future.

Oz reportedly not playing at all this week.

Do you just cut bait and go with the three young guys?

Personally .. I do.

Zombo

No, I still want a veteran presence on the team.

And riddle me this:  IF that were not to be the Big B.O.....if they ditch him....who would it be? 

In answering a question, Hue apparently did not rule out picking up a different veteran QB.

What names?  (we know one who has had several threads about him already...that should be moved to the politics board).  Who else?

2 hours ago, The Gipper said:

No, I still want a veteran presence on the team.

And riddle me this:  IF that were not to be the Big B.O.....if they ditch him....who would it be? 

In answering a question, Hue apparently did not rule out picking up a different veteran QB.

What names?  (we know one who has had several threads about him already...that should be moved to the politics board).  Who else?

We can always bring back clipboard jesus.

18 minutes ago, bbedward said:

We can always bring back clipboard jesus.

They can get the band back together:

Thad Lewis, Bruce Gradkowski, RGIII, Whitehurst, JFF......all out there, I believe.  Or maybe a couple of those are signed.  Here is another list:

David Olson QB BAL 25  
Dustin Vaughan QB BAL 26  
Zach Terrell QB BAL 24  
Robert Griffin III QB CLE 27  
Austin Appleby QB DAL 23  
Tony Romo QB DAL 37 Retired
Eli Jenkins QB LAC 23  
Aaron Murray QB LAR 26  
Dylan Thompson QB LAR 25  
Shaun Hill QB MIN 37  
Wes Lunt QB MIN 23  
Keith Wenning QB NYG 26  
Nick Schuessler QB PIT 23  
Zach Mettenberger QB PIT 26  
Jake Heaps QB SEA 26  
Skyler Howard QB SEA 22  
Christian Ponder QB SF 26  
Colin Kaepernick QB SF 29  
Sean Renfree QB TB 27

1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

They can get the band back together:

Thad Lewis, Bruce Gradkowski, RGIII, Whitehurst, JFF......all out there, I believe.  Or maybe a couple of those are signed.  Here is another list:

David Olson QB BAL 25  
Dustin Vaughan QB BAL 26  
Zach Terrell QB BAL 24  
Robert Griffin III QB CLE 27  
Austin Appleby QB DAL 23  
Tony Romo QB DAL 37 Retired
Eli Jenkins QB LAC 23  
Aaron Murray QB LAR 26  
Dylan Thompson QB LAR 25  
Shaun Hill QB MIN 37  
Wes Lunt QB MIN 23  
Keith Wenning QB NYG 26  
Nick Schuessler QB PIT 23  
Zach Mettenberger QB PIT 26  
Jake Heaps QB SEA 26  
Skyler Howard QB SEA 22  
Christian Ponder QB SF 26  
Colin Kaepernick QB SF 29  
Sean Renfree QB TB 27

who is jake heaps...must be uriah heaps brother...talking about getting the band back together...except most of the original uriah heep members are dead....long live rainbow demon...

7 hours ago, Zombo said:

Deshone is the future and heads the depth chart into the "Dress Rehearsal".

Kessler is a Sashi/Hugh pick and showed last year that he can play in this league and be accurate.

Oz is a 22 Million$ flop who tripped over himself in his last two starts, his only playoff game, and his shot as a starter last year.

Kevin Hogan is a talented, athletic young guy who has been in the system for two years and could be worth something in the future.

Oz reportedly not playing at all this week.

Do you just cut bait and go with the three young guys?

Personally .. I do.

Zombo

I don't. I keep him for at least 6 weeks to see if we can pull off a trade. 

Orherwise, yes. 

49 minutes ago, wargograw said:

I don't. I keep him for at least 6 weeks to see if we can pull off a trade.  Orherwise, yes. 

Agree and if keeping Brock around for "the right price" means losing Hogan, then so be it...

I wasn't all in on starting a rookie, but BO has wet the bed.

I was hoping Kessler would stabilize the position. He had some decent outings last year, I'm surprised he hasn't done better.

If Kizer's the guy, so be it. I just don't want our fickle fan base turning on him if he's named the starter and struggles. 

5 minutes ago, Bob806 said:

I wasn't all in on starting a rookie, but BO has wet the bed.

I was hoping Kessler would stabilize the position. He had some decent outings last year, I'm surprised he hasn't done better.

If Kizer's the guy, so be it. I just don't want our fickle fan base turning on him if he's named the starter and struggles. 

In my perfect world, Kizer would have sat for at least half the season, and got 6 or so starts. Plenty of time to learn on the sidelines, but plenty of game experience for the Browns to see what they have in him.

Problem is, Osweiler has not been good. Probably not all his fault, but he looks more like a rookie than the rookie does. I like Kessler, but this "competition" hasn't exactly brought the best our of him, and lets be honest, he's the Josh Tomlin of the Browns QBs. Always prepared, will give a professional attempt any time he's called on, but limited physically. Plus, his tendency to hold onto the ball too long and not being the stoutest built QB of all-time makes you wonder how long he'd be healthy enough to start for an extended time.

If Kizer is named the starter, it is what it is. Earlier than I wanted, but the alternatives?

2 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

I'm curious to what everyone thinks the Browns could get for Osweiler?

Hell, I'm happy with what we already got for TAKING him. :lol:

I think they'd give him away if they could.......

They got paid to take him. So Id say they'd let him go for free and would still have a 2nd rounder for the effort. They might even play nice and pay part of his salary.........

2 hours ago, Bob806 said:

You might as well hope for world peace.  But I agree.   If Kizer is gonna be our starter then he needs to be supported and mentored.

What are the odds that he's not gonna screw up...and screw up bad sometimes?  Slim to none.  He's gonna fuckup.  The front office, coaches, water boys and fans need to understand that.  

It's tackle football....he's been playing it all his life....but not against the talent and the speed of NFL players.  He's faced defenses with 2 or 3 guys on it that were good and fast...but now he's facing defenses full of 'em.  It's going to take some getting used to.  And his first real taste of it comes this weekend.  It will certainly be interesting to watch.

If it turns out, over the coming weeks that he's still too raw...and needs some more time...then Kessler can play the role of place holder.

I said all along that Kizer has come into a good situation 'for him'.  That he actually had a chance to become the game 1 starter as a rookie.....because the bar is not set too high.  All he has to do is learn the playbook and beat out Kessler and the Ostrich.  There's no Aaron Rogers on this team.

I wish him well.

And I have one huge piece of advice for him.    SLIDE!    Do not be a dumbass RG3 and think you're gonna run the ball and bowl people over.  He has to realize that he plays the single most important position in the whole organization.  For him to get hurt on the field by trying to be a hero hurts the ENTIRE organization.  I know you feel like a pussy by avoiding contact but IT HAS TO BE UNDERSTOOD THAT THE QB CANNOT GET INJURED.  You HAVE TO be the pussy and run out of bounds, slide to the ground or give up on a play and throw it out of bounds.  Ya just CANNOT be RG3 stupid!

10 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

I like Kessler, but this "competition" hasn't exactly brought the best our of him, and lets be honest, he's the Josh Tomlin of the Browns QBs. Always prepared, will give a professional attempt any time he's called on, but limited physically. Plus, his tendency to hold onto the ball too long and not being the stoutest built QB of all-time makes you wonder how long he'd be healthy enough to start for an extended time.

Am not counting Kess out of this thing at this time. but as most, we see more QB hope in Kizer..imo Kess at Camp took a Gregg Williams hit by Gregg taking away all of Kess's short center of Field release valves. Probably took away his center seam routes that Kess can throw to force the kid to grow his field vision..If Kessler turns his tunnel vision around? he may want to give a nod to Williams  

41 minutes ago, gumby73 said:

Am not counting Kess out of this thing at this time. but as most, we see more QB hope in Kizer..imo Kess at Camp took a Gregg Williams hit by Gregg taking away all of Kess's short center of Field release valves. Probably took away his center seam routes that Kess can throw to force the kid to grow his field vision..If Kessler turns his tunnel vision around? he may want to give a nod to Williams  

Interesting  take... hadn't really considered a DC's role in QB development, but certainly can force development of an expanded comfort zone as you describe.

1 hour ago, gumby73 said:

Listened to an extended discussion on this very topic on NFL Network. Definitely making him improve. 

Good points gumby. Same point has been made for JT helping MG improve his DE responsibilities. It's great to have one of the greatest to ever wear a Browns uniform right there opposite to make something special out of raw talent. Also great to have a DC improve the QB's at the same time he improves our team D coordination. I love this team's approach to making this team into something special.

14 hours ago, Alkid3 said:

Cut him. He's trash. No accuracy what so ever 

Brock- I agree about the accuracy thing. rewatched most of the first half, and when the passes weren't uncatachable, they were high- hanging out his receivers for kill shots.  Did throw a few on target, but not enough in my book. Have no idea how he went 6\8.  

I don't think we are in a hurry, Ag. We're going to eat his salary, that seems clear, so the objective will be to maximize his value and he is a veteran QB with over a seasons worth of starts under his belt.

3 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

I don't think we are in a hurry, Ag. We're going to eat his salary, that seems clear, so the objective will be to maximize his value and he is a veteran QB with over a seasons worth of starts under his belt.

This is it exactly. Even if we don't get any takers, although a well below average player Brock isn't a bad guy to have around for the 3rd string QB. Hogan can still go to the PS at this point so we don't lose anyone. I think he's more valuable to our team than say a 6th/7th round pick which is all we'd get for the guy at this point in time.

However, if a high level QB goes down and Brock gets thrown around in the conversation of 3rd round or player who could contribute...

Archived