THE BROWNS BOARD

Brock O to Colts?

jcam222

1 minute ago, jcam222 said:

Rumors floating there are active discussions with Colts tonight. I'd say get ready to welcome Dorsett to Cleveland. 

Tony?

10 minutes ago, jcam222 said:

Rumors floating there are active discussions with Colts tonight. I'd say get ready to welcome Dorsett to Cleveland. 

What? No 1st rounder? :)

Not sure about Phillip... Would not mind nabbing Anthony Walker.

17 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

What? No 1st rounder? :)

Not sure about Phillip... Would not mind nabbing Anthony Walker.

I'd pay good money to have the audio of the phone call when the Browns got a 1st rounder for Trent Richardson.

Alas, it was completely wasted on Johnny Manziel, but still...

2 hours ago, boo fagley said:

BOs salary this season is $16 million and I am pretty sure that BO does not receive that money if he is not on the Browns roster day 1 of the NFL 2017 season. Salaries are not guaranteed and typically fictitious numbers. I have heard of teams converting salary into signing bonus, but I cannot say for a fact that BOs contract can be reworked making him more trade friendly. 

Not sure l follow this part because why would Houston give is a 2nd to take him off their hands if there wasn't a financial benefit? Otherwise they would just cut him. All the news at the time of the trade made it sound like we were on the hook for 16 mil no matter what.

24 minutes ago, Ibleedbrown said:

Not sure l follow this part because why would Houston give is a 2nd to take him off their hands if there wasn't a financial benefit? Otherwise they would just cut him. All the news at the time of the trade made it sound like we were on the hook for 16 mil no matter what.

We took on the contract and got the 2nd round pick to take the contract off the Texans books. 

39 minutes ago, Ibleedbrown said:

Right.  Whether the Browns play him or cut him, it's $16M on the cap regardless.  Brock has no salary guarantees after this season. 

I believe the Browns can retain up to half of his salary in a trade however.  Not that Osweiler at $8M is particularly appealing to another team... But it's a potential way out of at least half of the damage.  I could be wrong about this number of course.  But it's something similar for sure.

46 minutes ago, Mr. Make-Believe said:

Right.  Whether the Browns play him or cut him, it's $16M on the cap regardless.  Brock has no salary guarantees after this season. 

I believe the Browns can retain up to half of his salary in a trade however.  Not that Osweiler at $8M is particularly appealing to another team... But it's a potential way out of at least half of the damage.  I could be wrong about this number of course.  But it's something similar for sure.

That was my understanding too. Part of his contract is that $16 million is fully guaranteed this year. Regarding a trade, if the Browns are convinced he's stinko (I am) they can eat as much of his salary as necessary to ship him off. He costs them nothing in 2018- unless he's still on the roster. 

Not sure about a limit as to how much of his salary they can absorb. 

2 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Again, if this is done.....the Browns will likely pick up another....probably veteran QB for backup.  I posted a list elsewhere.  But, it is also possible that some others could come available through cuts, no?

Gip I'm not sure the Browns would bring in a vet QB if Brock gets traded. The list of potential replacements is unappealing, to say the least. 

8 minutes ago, boo fagley said:

The Browns are on the hook for BOs 16 million in 2017 which makes BO trade able.

Read the fine print in the ESPN article Boo- here's how the Browns unload Brock. They (assuming Osweiler agrees) convert X million of the $16 million to a signing bonus, pay him up front, and the team acquiring him is on the hook for the balance. Heck, the way he's played in the preseason, I'd take a conditional 7th in 2018 as compensation. Considering some backup QBs are getting $9 million or so, there could be interest in Brock if the Browns ate $10 million of his contract, they have plenty of cap room this year to do so.  

52 minutes ago, hoorta said:

Gip I'm not sure the Browns would bring in a vet QB if Brock gets traded. The list of potential replacements is unappealing, to say the least. 

I wouldn't think they bring anyone in either.   It's Kizer and then Concussler, and then Hogan and when/if all 3 go down...it's clipboard Jesus to the rescue.

2 hours ago, hoorta said:

So, they would just go with Kessler, Kizer and Hogan?  I don't know about that there.  In fact, if B.O. gets traded...or cut,  do NOT be surprised if in fact CK were to land here (don't want to start the diatribes on that...its just, football wise, a possibility)

38 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

So, they would just go with Kessler, Kizer and Hogan?  I don't know about that there.  In fact, if B.O. gets traded...or cut,  do NOT be surprised if in fact CK were to land here (don't want to start the diatribes on that...its just, football wise, a possibility)

I don't think CK has any chance of coming here.  If they were remotely interested, he would've been here already.

1 minute ago, hoorta said:

Apparently CK wants starter money- and we're not paying him that to be a backup. 

You'd think he would lower his expectations as it nears the end of August and he still doesn't have a job.   But that is assuming he actually wants to play football. 

1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

Yup, I really think so... Kessler isn't a rookie, neither is Hogan. They both have 2 years in Hue's system.  Remote possibility about CK Gip. Like what can he teach them? How to avoid prepatellar bursitis from kneeling too much?  :rolleyes:

43 minutes ago, Mark O said:

I don't think CK has any chance of coming here.  If they were remotely interested, he would've been here already.

Apparently CK wants starter money- and we're not paying him that to be a backup. 

5 hours ago, boo fagley said:

Yes, but is 1 Kizer, 2 Kessler and 3 Hogan doable? Id say yes.

Given low expectations for the Browns, I agree. If push comes to shove, pull a cheap option off the scrap heap. We may end up with a cheap diamond in the rough...we'll see.

Mike

I find it difficult to believe that anyone would want Brock.

Here we are with basically a guy entering his junior year in college, a mediocre late third round pick, a guy named Hogan and Brock....and we've pretty much announced that Brock cannot beat out the college junior or the mediocre 3rd round pick as our starter.

I mean, if Brock can't start for US, then who the hell else would give us a bag of barbeque chips for him?  (I wouldn't...but that's just because I cherish barbeque chips)

-  Personally, I think there's still a chance that he starts game 1 for us.  If Kizer bombs out against the #1 defense(s) and Kessler follows suite, then the Ostrich would probably be the default starter.  

32 minutes ago, boo fagley said:

tsulaofu, nevertheless the Texans are in a win now season.

Texans make no cents$..They add 10M to their Cap by peddling off Brock to Browns. But let their pro bowl LT Dwayne Brown sit out camp deserving to get paid. Not sure if they have spent a dime in this off-season..they may need a Savage to run around back there to play dodge ball.. 

If we trade Brock we are eating a large sum of that salary which is fine. 

The issue is who in God's name would trade anything of value for this guy? He's got enough film and enough years in the league to know the player he is. The dude is Brandon Weeden 2.0, and at this point he'd be of more value 3rd string for Cleveland than a 7th round pick or w/e low ball we'd get. 

On 8/24/2017 at 11:26 AM, Mark O said:

We took on the contract and got the 2nd round pick to take the contract off the Texans books. 

Folks may remember that Houston thought it was in the Romo Sweepstakes at the time...

On 8/24/2017 at 8:31 AM, boo fagley said:

Ok, heres some clarity in regards to Oswieilers contract.

His signing bonus of 12 million has been fully paid, they are virtually always guaranteed. Under the "signing" column, $3 million is listed and that is spread out equally over 4 years. Its not listed on the spreadsheet which is somewhat confusing, but at the bottom is shows his "dead cap money"  is $9 million. Houston already took the cap hit in 2016 for the first installment of $3 million. The remaining $9 million accelerates onto the 2017 Houston cap.

Actually the full 12 was paid in 2016... thus the term signing bonus. ;)

My fav cap site, Over-the-cap, has a section for each player tabulating earnings to date that showed Brock pulling in $21mm in 2016.

23 hours ago, boo fagley said:

Alright, BOs 2017 salary was guaranteed. I didnt know that.

Your spotrac link showed this by showing his $16mm 2017 "salary" as "dead money".

I don't think there's a single cap site that gets everything correct and makes it easy to understand, but OTC seems to come closest.

36 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Colts apparently not the only possible trade partner for B.O.:   Jets, Ravens, Jags as well:

http://brownswire.usatoday.com/2017/08/24/4-potential-trade-destinations-for-brock-osweiler/

" Without knowing the potential likelihood of any of these possibilities, if any exists at all, here are four teams that could be in the market for Osweiler. "

Not so great an article with this phrase in it.

1 hour ago, boo fagley said:

John Fox and Todd Bowles are in the same boat as Obrien

I think Fox is relatively safe so long as he doesn't stick with Ichabod too long... expectations are much higher in Houston.

Bowles? Yeah, if for no other reason to prove there is no justice in the world given that QB trio...

Archived