THE BROWNS BOARD

Will the Screen Pass with Kizer continue to work ?

BobPOUND!

Watched both pre-season games and noticed something very very odd..... The screen pass is actually working... Do you know how long as a Browns fan I have waited for this to happen(even if it is just pre-season)?    It has been a running joke for the better part of a decade about any coach calling a screen play in Cleveland..

Kizer seems to be able to sell it better or something.. But they are actually executing, along with some good first contact moves by our RB's. .Instead of -1 or +2, we seem to be getting first downs or setting up 3rd and shorts..

Again; just preseason, but hopefully this holds against 1st team play going into the season.. That is a play that is crucial to taking the pressure off our inexperienced QB's.. Let the aggressive Shitsburg defenses come running at us and effectively dump the ball over the rush.... One can hope :)

BobPound!

The screen is working for three reasons:

Reason one - its preseason. 3rd and 4th string players are less disciplined, they are trying to earn a roster spot and have to play with reckless abandon to stand out. 1st and 2nd string players aren't trying as hard. Defensive coordinators are bringing pressure and trying various blitz packages in preparation for the season. 

Reason two - we have a better offensive line.  Granted, they haven't all been playing this preseason, but it would stand to reason that improving your offensive line would go a long way toward improving screen pass performance, probably.

Reason three (and most exciting IMO) - defenses actually have to fear the ability of who we have behind center. Kizer has been able to stretch the field vertically with his arm and horizontally with his legs. Obviously, he's a rookie and he's not exactly playing perfectly, but he's shown enough to force safeties to play deeper and for edge rushers to have to play contain, allowing for the slip screen to slide underneath. 

At least, that's what I see. 

37 minutes ago, Tim Couch Pulls Out said:

Reason three (and most exciting IMO) - defenses actually have to fear the ability of who we have behind center. Kizer has been able to stretch the field vertically with his arm and horizontally with his legs.

I believe you are on to something there...

56 minutes ago, Tim Couch Pulls Out said:

The screen is working for three reasons:

Reason three (and most exciting IMO) - defenses actually have to fear the ability of who we have behind center. Kizer has been able to stretch the field vertically with his arm and horizontally with his legs. Obviously, he's a rookie and he's not exactly playing perfectly, but he's shown enough to force safeties to play deeper and for edge rushers to have to play contain, allowing for the slip screen to slide underneath. 

At least, that's what I see. 

When are they going to learn to respect the guys at the end of Kizer's passes.  So far I have seen nothing out of our WRs...or even TEs that show that they warrant respect.  One radio commentator said that he watched both preseason games from the broadcast booth...and was able to see the whole field, and none of our receivers ever seem to be open. I mean WTF.....4 picks last year, another this year, a couple of FAs....and no one can get open? 

39 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

When are they going to learn to respect the guys at the end of Kizer's passes.  So far I have seen nothing out of our WRs...or even TEs that show that they warrant respect.  One radio commentator said that he watched both preseason games from the broadcast booth...and was able to see the whole field, and none of our receivers ever seem to be open. I mean WTF.....4 picks last year, another this year, a couple of FAs....and no one can get open? 

Well that's hyperbolic, to say the least. Mullaney was three steps behind the safety against NO on Kizer's first big throw and it was solely because of his route running, not blowing past the safety. He had a few nice routes against NO and found soft spots in their defense, allowing Kizer to make some pretty easy completions. Payton's late touchdown, he was 3 steps past the corner. Coco, Hall and Higgins all had receptions against NYG without a defender anywhere near them.

Whatever radio commentator that said that must not have been watching very closely. Or even at all.

39 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

No one? Seems to me there were a lot of catches with no defender within a step... and in the NFL that is wide open...

Oh, a few I guess, maybe.  Mostly swing passes.   Not much open downfield.  And I was just quoting the radio guy who was complaining about it. Do you have great confidence in this WR corps?

11 minutes ago, Tim Couch Pulls Out said:

Well that's hyperbolic, to say the least. Mullaney was three steps behind the safety against NO on Kizer's first big throw and it was solely because of his route running, not blowing past the safety. He had a few nice routes against NO and found soft spots in their defense, allowing Kizer to make some pretty easy completions. Payton's late touchdown, he was 3 steps past the corner. Coco, Hall and Higgins all had receptions against NYG without a defender anywhere near them.

Whatever radio commentator that said that must not have been watching very closely. Or even at all.

Well....you are talking about the third stringers up against other third stringers.  What about our first stringers vs. the other teams first stringers? Not a lot of joy there.

13 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Oh, a few I guess, maybe.  Mostly swing passes.   Not much open downfield.  And I was just quoting the radio guy who was complaining about it. Do you have great confidence in this WR corps?

No... not "mostly swing passes".

And no, you were not merely "quoting" you were endorsing...

1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

I mean WTF.....4 picks last year, another this year, a couple of FAs....and no one can get open? 

... and now you're disavowing.

7 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

No... not "mostly swing passes".

And no, you were not merely "quoting" you were endorsing...

... and now you're disavowing.

So?  Does this mean that you are just fine and peachy keen with the play/production of our WR corps?   Perhaps there was a bit of hyperbole in the term "never get open".......but if you are showing love for our WR corps the way the KKK shows love for  Trump....well...some all of us are in a mess.

6 hours ago, BobPOUND! said:

Watched both pre-season games and noticed something very very odd..... The screen pass is actually working... Do you know how long as a Browns fan I have waited for this to happen(even if it is just pre-season)?    It has been a running joke for the better part of a decade about any coach calling a screen play in Cleveland..

Kizer seems to be able to sell it better or something.. But they are actually executing, along with some good first contact moves by our RB's. .Instead of -1 or +2, we seem to be getting first downs or setting up 3rd and shorts..

Again; just preseason, but hopefully this holds against 1st team play going into the season.. That is a play that is crucial to taking the pressure off our inexperienced QB's.. Let the aggressive Shitsburg defenses come running at us and effectively dump the ball over the rush.... One can hope :)

BobPound!

Ha! Are you also tired of watching this play torch us 3 times a game?:blush: Me too! I was like wait where's Metcalf & Pruitt? Kizer does seem to sell it well & ND's Kelly just never seemed to know when to use it. I still like Britts blocking game on this play vs Pryor's. Ya gotta think Devalve should have seen a lot of this play at Princeton. As a old TE myself, I really think the timing of blocks in a screen is so less risky as the dreaded wide out bubble screens..I share in your long awaited screen pass excitement..Hail to the S-queen pass..     

Well....you are talking about the third stringers up against other third stringers.  What about our first stringers vs. the other teams first stringers? Not a lot of joy there.

The largest annalists numbers will come from the WR position at the final cut down. Any WR under 4 years of service comes to us first on waiver wire..In Al Saunders we Trust (we think;))

Are Coleman and Higgins third stringers? I could have sworn I saw them in there with the 1's and 2's.

So?  Does this mean that you are just fine and peachy keen with the play/production of our WR corps?   Perhaps there was a bit of hyperbole in the term "never get open".......but if you are showing love for our WR corps the way the KKK shows love for  Trump....well...some all of us are in a mess.

I don't see a reason for concern. We won't have a great WR corps but it should be decently functional. Britt should be a 1000 yard guy, Coleman should be good for 800 or so, and the hope is that Higgins or Louis or both proves to be a solid bench player. 

Njoku shoukd have a decent rookie year assuming he stays healthy and I have a feeling Duke will be getting a lot of looks as a slash.

The better our line blocks, the better our running game will be. And that opens the passing game up for everyone. 

Screens:

Our OL has had too many weak spots (sucky players) on it to effectively run a screen.  Our best option on screens was for the QB to throw it at someone's feet.

Our WR's haven't been much of a threat so DB's can peek and go join in the fun of disrupting our screens.

And third....I wanna see us have success with it in the regular season before I get all giddy.  

No, it will collapse.

Per season is a time for generic D. Kizer presents a problem because of his athleticism and ability to extend a play and get the ball deep. However, as Hue suffers headaches with Kizer getting hit a lot from holding the ball too long, and from throwing a lot of interceptions, he will again return to his dink and dup offense. We will go back to facing 19 men in the box, and calling plays right into their hands.

7 hours ago, Tim Couch Pulls Out said:

And the only hot you're staring down is the hot food line at the buffet, chunks.

Um no.. Buffet food will kill you.. I dont eat much in the way of processed food.. It just really is not good for you

7 hours ago, Tim Couch Pulls Out said:

Archived