THE BROWNS BOARD

The pass rush today was atrocious...

Clevfan4life

we're gonna have to draft DE again IM afraid. Or get a FA. Nassib, Orchard and Ogbah are not gonna cut it long term. Ogbah is just.....I dunno. He comes off the ball without any dynamic movement whatsoever. Nassib and Orchard just get pushed wide..it's the same god damn shit I've been complaining about for years. Garrett was the first browns rusher in recent memory that showed some ability to power around the edge to go along with his speed rush. But that was preseason we'll have to wait and see what happens when he gets back. If he is as advertised teams are just gonna either double him or shift the protection right at him and then what? 

But Flugel said Williams was going to have the defense whipped up into shape. hat they would be dominating.....As I said before the preseason started, there will be little difference between Horton's defense and Williams.  All this bullshit "You can see it in their eyes" mentality is such a crock of meaningless shit, only Browns fans are dumb enough to think anything was going to change. Aggression? WOW.................. Yeah................... that is REALLY unique, Williams was going to make our guys aggressive? As if every ducking coach from pee-pee football on hasn't drilled agressive play into these people.

Greg Williams is a fucking horse's ass phony.

5 hours ago, Clevfan4life said:

we're gonna have to draft DE again IM afraid. Or get a FA. Nassib, Orchard and Ogbah are not gonna cut it long term. Ogbah is just.....I dunno. He comes off the ball without any dynamic movement whatsoever. Nassib and Orchard just get pushed wide..it's the same god damn shit I've been complaining about for years. Garrett was the first browns rusher in recent memory that showed some ability to power around the edge to go along with his speed rush. But that was preseason we'll have to wait and see what happens when he gets back. If he is as advertised teams are just gonna either double him or shift the protection right at him and then what? 

Have you watched what teams are doing to try to contain Von MIller? He has one sack in two games but absolutely causes chaos to offenses anyway. Let's see how it all plays out over the season before we give up on our D just yet. Our O is so bad I'm amazed we stay in games as long as we do so far.

6 hours ago, Ghoolie said:

But Flugel said Williams was going to have the defense whipped up into shape. hat they would be dominating.....As I said before the preseason started, there will be little difference between Horton's defense and Williams.  All this bullshit "You can see it in their eyes" mentality is such a crock of meaningless shit, only Browns fans are dumb enough to think anything was going to change. Aggression? WOW.................. Yeah................... that is REALLY unique, Williams was going to make our guys aggressive? As if every ducking coach from pee-pee football on hasn't drilled agressive play into these people.

Lets just wait until the end of the season before we give a final grade.  These might be the two toughest teams we play all season.  You have to think our first few games will provide a test, especially with our new offense line.  Give them some time to gel at least.  I would like to think at 5 games before we see any real aggressive "opening of holes" for running backs.  By then Miles Garret should be back and our D will be better as well.  So again I say, lets wait until the end of the season.  I still think the next 3 games are winnable.  Again remember, we played the Steelers and Ravens to start the season.

When you have turnovers, that tends to wear on your defense. And the ratbirds will probably win the division, etc.Just manically judging so quickly, is just bs. No legitimacy with just two games. We don't have the wr's that get open explosively. So, defenses can throw the kitchen sink at our offense, you can't find a receiver, and they just play the dump off, and your offense is toast. That is why they concentrated on stopping Coleman. They ignored Britt for good reason. Higgins made them pay for that...

and with a new rookie qb, that is a disaster against the best teams. The Browns will probably draft a wr in the first round next year. Maybe the big guy from N.D. - Kizer would like that. Kenny Britt ..I just don't get him. Britt never approached Kizer after that hideous, embarrassing drop? I can't imagine a wr dropping that pass, and not joking with his qb saying "man, sorry about that, get to me again and I'll make it right" ...or something.  Pretty much everybody should have figured the Browns were going to have a tough time with the stinking ratbirds. Seriously. Wait another three or four games and we'll see. I love the fire they play with. Except for Britt...

D just did not seem to have an edge today... and I don't mean the kind you set.

By and large the blitz schemes looked unimaginative... did not see the rush lanes open as we did Week 1. That we could not get after a clearly, near-immobile Flacco was disheartening.

As a group they looked completely gassed by the end of 3rd Qtr...

On edge setting... saw Ogbah set one albeit vs. a TE. Also saw him generate a couple good pressures. Seemed to have a better game than Game 1... not that that was a high bar.

56 minutes ago, hx214 said:

The Browns' offense is the Browns' defenses worst enemy. 

Short fields killed them yesterday. 

I think the Ravens only had 3 or 4 more first downs than the Browns and the yardage was pretty close too.

Matchup cle.png&h=100&w=100 bal.png&h=100&w=100
1st Downs 20 24
Passing 1st downs 12 16
Rushing 1st downs 6 7
1st downs from penalties 2 1
3rd down efficiency 2-12 4-11
4th down efficiency 1-2 0-0
Total Plays 66 68
Total Yards 386 337
Total Drives 13 13
Yards per Play 5.8 5.0
Passing 293 201
Comp-Att 20-42 25-34
Yards per pass 6.5 5.6
Interceptions thrown 4 1
Sacks-Yards Lost 3-7 2-16
Rushing 93 136
Rushing Attempts 21 32
Yards per rush 4.4 4.3
Red Zone (Made-Att) 0-1 3-4
Penalties 11-65 7-45
Turnovers 5 2
Fumbles lost 1 1
Interceptions thrown 4 1
Defensive / Special Teams TDs 0 0
Possession 26:36 33:24

See above.  As I see it, it was Turnovers and penalties.   Penalties are the coaches fault. Hue needs to get his head out of his ass....or give the play calling up.  Turnovers is what you get when you start a rookie QB...or have basically a rookie replace a rookie.

I can only assume that the reason for the lack or rushing the ball is because they are constantly playing from behind.  That is what turnovers cause (and the punt block vs. the Squibs is just another TO basically)

11 hours ago, Ghoolie said:

Easy on williams ghoolie. Cause so far his draft guys have looked the best in the team. Nassib, ogbah and orchard were not his guys. It kills me that previous admins thought drafting those two > than taking bosa. But whatever. Im not shitting on the whole defense or the defensive philosophy, and especially not williams.....do u even know how many top defenses the guy has put together over the last couple decades? He's literaly one of the best dc's in football if not the best.

3 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

D just did not seem to have an edge today... and I don't mean the kind you set.

By and large the blitz schemes looked unimaginative... did not see the rush lanes open as we did Week 1. That we could not get after a clearly, near-immobile Flacco was disheartening.

As a group they looked completely gassed by the end of 3rd Qtr...

On edge setting... saw Ogbah set one albeit vs. a TE. Also saw him generate a couple good pressures. Seemed to have a better game than Game 1... not that that was a high bar.

Ill admit that towards the end of the game i was getting glassy eyed and irritated so maybe i was too wuick with the ffwd's between pkays, but i saw none of wgat ur saying with ogbah. I didnt see him create a single moment of pressure even when flacco held the ball too long. He looks to me like a stiff DT they have playing DE who diesnt really know how to play outside. 

Nassib and orchard arent much better. I mean to go an entire fucking game with none of ur edges bately getting in the qb's face after they did a decent job of pressuring roethlisberger when its pgh that has the better run game, i just dont understand. Only lb'er blitzes got home on flacco.

4 minutes ago, pantherfan426 said:

Who is DL Jhaustin Thomas? I see he was just signed to the practice squad. They cut Holmes again Saturday and signed this guy to the practice squad today. Really thought Schult deserved a chance on the practice squad but evidently someone in the FO doesn't like him.  ????

Well, I would say that it would seem that Gregg Williams is not pushing for him either. 

27 minutes ago, pantherfan426 said:

Not what I heard from a very good source.  The assistants and coordinators have very little say on personnel or roster moves.   

Well, that would be pretty stupid.  If someone gets hurt on the DL....and Williams were to go to Hue and Sachi and say:  I would like to see Shult back here, he is a guy I can work with.  I don't know this other guy and I don't know if he can help my defense, but I think Shult can.  I doubt that the HC and the FO would just ignore that.   If so, then yes, they would be fucking idiots.

On ‎9‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 9:56 AM, The Gipper said:

See above.  As I see it, it was Turnovers and penalties.   Penalties are the coaches fault. Hue needs to get his head out of his ass....or give the play calling up.  Turnovers is what you get when you start a rookie QB...or have basically a rookie replace a rookie.

I can only assume that the reason for the lack or rushing the ball is because they are constantly playing from behind.  That is what turnovers cause (and the punt block vs. the Squibs is just another TO basically)

last week we were not that far behind and hue quit running the ball i'm telling ya hue panicks

3 hours ago, pantherfan426 said:

Trust me it's not any off the field stuff. Schult is a great kid and the hardest worker I ever seen. Look at his college accolades.  Buck Buchanan award winner and finalist for the William V Campbell trophy or also called the academic Heisman last year.  He is up to 275 now so I think he could move inside also.

Why am i supposed to trust you? I concur with ur assessment if schults abilities so there is only one reason why he's not on the team especially now, it has to be a personal issue.....perhaps not with williams but another player, who knows?

7 hours ago, pantherfan426 said:

Who is DL Jhaustin Thomas?  Really thought Schult deserved a chance on the practice squad but evidently someone in the FO doesn't like him.  ????

Jhaustin Thomas is a DE/ST 6'6 280 from Iowa St. FA of Colts..Just more bottom of the roster shuffling with Grigsons name written all over it.. Just like Zach Banner/TY McGill who is about to get suspended after his court date..Big fan of Karter Schultz from Northern Iowa..his length of 6'3 is ok for a DE but you say he's up to 275lbs. but his maybe issue, is he can't hold his weight up much like Mingo? cause he came into us at 258lbs?  

5 minutes ago, gumby73 said:

Jhaustin Thomas is a DE/ST 6'6 280 from Iowa St. FA of Colts..Just more bottom of the roster shuffling with Grigsons name written all over it.. Just like Zach Banner/TY McGill who is about to get suspended after his court date..Big fan of Karter Schultz from Northern Iowa..his length of 6'3 is ok for a DE but you say he's up to 275lbs. but his maybe issue, is he can't hold his weight up much like Mingo? cause he came into us at 258lbs?  

Doubtful, kid looked naturally put together in preseason. Mingo always had a small lithe frame, schult honestly looks bigger than 255 even in his college tape. But look we keep orchard on the roster and he might hit 255-260 if he doesnt shit for a couple days

16 minutes ago, Clevfan4life said:

Doubtful, kid looked naturally put together in preseason. Mingo always had a small lithe frame, schult honestly looks bigger than 255 even in his college tape. But look we keep orchard on the roster and he might hit 255-260 if he doesnt shit for a couple days

If we stick to what Williams saw all camp & preseason games..Nate showed up well with the 2's vs. saints..not so much for Schultz on 2's..Karter killed it with the 3's..But also look at the factor Williams wants dual positions..Nate also played some LB at Utah where Shultz never played position at all in college..Your right..both similar size with both great motors    

2 hours ago, gumby73 said:

He came in at 258 because he took his agents advice to cut down to try out for linebacker on his pro day. He put up 30 reps on his bench press at his pro day. That was top 5 at the combine for all DL. Look it up. He played at 270 all last year in college.  He is not a linebacker. He is a 6'3" DE who can move inside if needed. Never missed a college game from injury. He's just a damn good football player. He will succeed somewhere if he gets a chance.  Yes I know him personally and we are kind of dumbfounded  back home after how good he looked in pre season.

17 hours ago, gumby73 said:

If we stick to what Williams saw all camp & preseason games..Nate showed up well with the 2's vs. saints..not so much for Schultz on 2's..Karter killed it with the 3's..But also look at the factor Williams wants dual positions..Nate also played some LB at Utah where Shultz never played position at all in college..Your right..both similar size with both great motors    

karter never saw the 2's all preaseason until perhaps the final game against the bears. I wanted to see him in there against the 2's. In that last preseason game he looked better than nassib against the same guys. Not sure if orchard was playing in that game but schult looked better than any of our Other DE's. He made an amazing change of direction play to chase down connor shaw. 

I do not understand not bringing him back after cutting holmes. Unless garretts return is imminent

Archived