Browns 31st

Ravens 2nd ... Super Bowl

Steelers 7th

Browns 26th

Steelers 1st ... Division Champs

Ravens 2nd ... Wild Card

Browns 22nd

Steelers 7th ... Division Champs

Browns 21st ... Wild Card (lost to Steelers)

Ravens 22nd

Ravens 3rd ... Division Champs

Steelers 9th

Browns 15th

Ravens 6th

Browns 15th

Steelers 4th ... Super Bowl

Ravens 5th

Browns 16th

Ravens 1st ... Division Champs

Steelers 9th

Browns 27th

Ravens 6th

Browns 30th*

Steelers 1st ... Super Bowl

Ravens 2nd ... Wild Card

Browns 26th*

* Denotes years where clearly Derek Anderson kept us from the promised land.

Notes:

The team with the best defense has won the division and/or the Super Bowl for nine consecutive years.

Average Defensive rankings over the last decade:

Steelers 4.9

Ravens 5.3

Browns 22.9

Steelers have won division/Super Bowl titles with three different QBs: Stewart, Maddox, Big Ben.

Ravens have made the playoffs five times with five different leading passers (Banks, Grbac, Boller, McNair, Flacco) and a Super bowl with a sixth (Dilfer)

The Browns have never finished in the top half of the NFL in defense in ten years. All ten years the quarterback was flogged in the off-season.

Zombo

--and YES I understand the importance of the QB position ... but until we compete with the Steelers and Ravens defensively we are going to get whipped.

Here's to Mangini changing that...

but anderson only cost us the 2007 season.

LOL. C'mon guys. Seriously. In 2007 we had the #8 offense and the #30 defense.

Anderson threw for more yards and TDs in one year than any of those nine QBs above ever did.

On November 11, 2007, the Browns held a 21-6 lead against the Steelers, and the defense couldn't make a stop in the fourth quarter and we lost 31-28. Anderson had 3 TDS, no Ints, no sacks and no fumbles against the NFL's #1 defense.

If we won that game, we won the division.

Blaming Anderson for 2007 is like blaming Byner for 1987. Yeah, he made a mistake at the end. But we were nowhere close to being in that position without him.

If you think we are in the playoffs in 2007 with Frye or a rookie Quinn you have a serious, serious crack problem.

Zombo

First of all, that was somewhat tounge in cheek there...but I'll bite on your comments.

the lack of touch on the short throws.

That's the part about DA that aggravates me the most.

Your post was good, I don't think we are that far apart, I just get sick of the DA hate when it is our defense that has kept out of contention.

Every once in a while I wake out of a slumber and jump into a QB thread just to keep Shep honest. In the end we all know there are many facets that have been lacking and have led to our mediocrity ... I just like to bang that defense drum every once in awhile ... I mean we really have been DOMINATED by those Steeler and Raven defenses. I'm praying Mangini can reverse that trend.

Zombo

As for the DA hate. I'll say this. Do you believe all that hate would be there that badly if it weren't for certain posters who don't know how to debate a point like you do? That maybe the hate is not really for DA but for the "people" who defend him irrationally?

I think you hit the nail on the head. I think our board has a higher "DA disgust" rate than your typical Browns forum, the reason being that Lums has irritated everyone to no end.

Good job, Lums. It took a dick like you to make me look reasonable.

Zombo

Archived