THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns signed CB Roderick Hood

Dan in Florida

EDIT:

Browns sign Rod Hood

Zac Jackson, Staff Writer

roderick_hood4_medium.jpg

The Browns have added another veteran to the defense by signing cornerback Rod Hood.

Hood, 27, has six years of NFL experience -- four with the Eagles and the last two with the Cardinals. He started in February's Super Bowl and also played in Super Bowl XXXIX with the Eagles.

Hood started 16 games in 2007, his first season with Arizona, and 14 of 15 regular-season games last year. He's started 43 of 87 career games, and his career totals include 11 interceptions, 5 fumble recoveries and 201 tackles.

He had a career-best 5 interceptions in 2007 and returned two of those for touchdowns, including one against the Browns.

Hood played collegiately at Auburn and broke into the league as an undrafted rookie in 2003 with the Eagles.

ClevelandBrowns.com Link

-----------------------------

Original Post:

Cleveland Browns expected to sign CB Roderick Hood

by Tony Grossi/Plain Dealer Reporter

Tuesday May 26, 2009, 11:16 AM

CLEVELAND -- The Browns will sign veteran free agent cornerback Roderick Hood, a league source said.

Hood started for the Arizona Cardinals in last season's Super Bowl. He was the team's starting cornerback for 30 of the previous 32 regular-season games, intercepting six passes, including five in 2007.

Hood, 5-11 and 198 pounds, was released by the Cardinals shortly after the draft in April. He had visited with Cincinnati, Detroit, Chicago and the Rams. Hood chose the Browns over the Rams, who also had made him a contract offer, the source said.

Hood, 27, played his first four NFL seasons with Philadelphia. He should be considered a strong candidate to displace Eric Wright or Brandon McDonald as a starter at cornerback.

link

--------------------------------------------

Dan in Florida says: I like it ;)

9qwsnt.jpg

Yeah...I'm drinking the Koolaid!

I absolutely love this signing. I think Hood is a very legit starting corner in this league, and a quality one at that. I'm guessing he starts opposite Wright and McDonald goes to the nickel, suddenly making corner a strong unit on this team.

Assuming we keep, what? Five? That leaves Poteat, Ivey, Carey, and Francies competing for two spots. At least one of the rooks makes it.

I love the depth, but the problem for me is that neither McDonald or Wright are nickle backs that can cover the inside/slot receiver. Two years ago when McDonald emerged Holly moved inside in the nickle coverage and Mcdonald took the outside spot. Ivey seems the best bet to be a slot receiver/nickle cover guy unless Hood can play that position and move inside in those situations.

Bottom line is that it creates competition and McDonald and Wright will have to step up because they didn't distinguish themselves last year. The signing would then leave Poteat as an insurance guy against injuries during camp and holding a thin rope. Between Carey and Francies, one will make the team and one will be on the practice squad. Might come down to who is the best special teams player. Francies seems to have the edge.

You can never have enough corners.

I love the depth, but the problem for me is that neither McDonald or Wright are nickle backs that can cover the inside/slot receiver. Two years ago when McDonald emerged Holly moved inside in the nickle coverage and Mcdonald took the outside spot. Ivey seems the best bet to be a slot receiver/nickle cover guy unless Hood can play that position and move inside in those situations.

Bottom line is that it creates competition and McDonald and Wright will have to step up because they didn't distinguish themselves last year. The signing would then leave Poteat as an insurance guy against injuries during camp and holding a thin rope. Between Carey and Francies, one will make the team and one will be on the practice squad. Might come down to who is the best special teams player. Francies seems to have the edge.

You can never have enough corners.

LOOK AT WHAT YOU POSTED TWO DAYS AGO:

I really can't see them going after Hood after they spent the draft picks on the two corners. Beside Poteat we have Ivy who most likely will be their nickle back. Besides, McDonald can't play inside. Even when he was a rookie, Holly moved inside and McDonald stqayed outside when he came into the game. Poteat is their #4 corner, at best, but I think between Francies and Cary one will make the roster and one will be put on the practice squad.

Besides, Hood isn't a lock to beat anybody out, he is okay, but not a star. I believe McDonald and Wright's play will be much better play with better Safety play and the cover 2 scheme they will be running mostly.

I believe Hood is asking for starter money and he may end up a #3 or #4 guy here.

I know that a good D-Line helps corners (by speeding up the time a quarterback has to pass/make decisions)

but conversely

Good corners also give the D-Line more time to sack & force plays.

It should help the entire defense.

I love it!

9qwsnt.jpg

Before we get too excited, if this guy is a "quality starter", why was he release?

Cutting Hood saved Cards even more money

by Kent Somers - Apr. 29, 2009 10:31 AM

The Arizona Republic

The Cardinals realized more salary cap savings than initially reported by releasing Rod Hood, the cornerback said Wednesday.

Hood said he had earned a play-time incentive that would have boosted his salary by $2 million. That means he would have made $5 million in salary and his cap number would have been $5.5 million in 2009.

The cap savings from cutting Hood are greater, given his previously reported base salary of $3 million. The extra $2 million in savings means the club saves about $7.5 million by cutting Hood, Edgerrin James and Travis LaBoy.

Before the moves, the team was about $1.2 million under the cap, so it should be about $8.7 million under now, precluding more bonuses, escalators and the like.

Arizona Newspaper Link

9qwsnt.jpg

Wow. Great signing. That is fantastic. Way to jump on the ball, Mankok!

I cant help but feel sorry for Wright and McDonald... plus all the new CBs we got through trades and the draft. They're gonna have to work real hard now to earn a spot, presuming they werent already. ^_^

I absolutely love this signing. I think Hood is a very legit starting corner in this league, and a quality one at that. I'm guessing he starts opposite Wright and McDonald goes to the nickel, suddenly making corner a strong unit on this team.

Assuming we keep, what? Five? That leaves Poteat, Ivey, Carey, and Francies competing for two spots. At least one of the rooks makes it.

I don't break it down by corner and safety and just lump them all as DB's for purposes of discussing roster percentage..

Last year we kept 9 DBs most of the time, and we could probably keep 10 depending on the make-up of the special team units and how some other camp cuts go....maybe we decide we only need 1 FB....or maybe none.

BMac as an example played Safety in college, and was pretty good at it. He may count more as a safety than corner with Mangini...

If ten guys need to make the team, I have a feeling that is what mangini will go with and seek to trim a spot somewhere else.

Wow. Great signing. That is fantastic. Way to jump on the ball, Mankok!

I cant help but feel sorry for Wright and McDonald... plus all the new CBs we got through trades and the draft. They're gonna have to work real hard now to earn a spot, presuming they werent already. ^_^

They were going to have to work hard anyway, but teams torched us last year when they spread it out in 3 and 4 receiver sets.

You better have 4 players good enough to cover their 4 receivers.

I think we have that now.

SIGNING (LENGTH OF CONTRACT) DETAILS:

NFL_Logo.jpg.com

Cleveland signs CB Hood to one-year deal

Posted: May 26th, 2009 | Steve Wyche | Tags: Cleveland Browns, Rod Hood

Free-agent cornerback Rod Hood signed a one-year contract with the Cleveland Browns on Tuesday.

Hood spent the past two seasons with the Arizona Cardinals after playing four seasons with the Philadelphia Eagles. The Cardinals released him in a cost-cutting move following their run to the Super Bowl. The durable Hood, who has started at least 14 games in five of his six seasons, is expected to compete for a starting spot with the Browns.

He had 40 tackles and one interception last season after registering a career-high five interceptions -– two returned for touchdowns –- in 2007.

– Steve Wyche

link

9qwsnt.jpg

LOOK AT WHAT YOU POSTED TWO DAYS AGO:

I really can't see them going after Hood after they spent the draft picks on the two corners. Beside Poteat we have Ivy who most likely will be their nickle back. Besides, McDonald can't play inside. Even when he was a rookie, Holly moved inside and McDonald stqayed outside when he came into the game. Poteat is their #4 corner, at best, but I think between Francies and Cary one will make the roster and one will be put on the practice squad.

Besides, Hood isn't a lock to beat anybody out, he is okay, but not a star. I believe McDonald and Wright's play will be much better play with better Safety play and the cover 2 scheme they will be running mostly.

I believe Hood is asking for starter money and he may end up a #3 or #4 guy here.

and your point is? I still think Hood provides good depth and will create competition. Let the best man win. I also think McDonald and Wright can be better then Hood, if challenged, which they weren't last year. I still think Hood could end up as the #3 guy and will have to beat out Ivey as the nickle back. If MCDonald or wright falter in Mangini's new system, then Hood could step in. I still think between Cary and Francies one will make the team and one will be on the practice squad and Poteat will be on the outside looking in. Please remember, there are always injuries and depth is great.

But, I don't think we just signed a pro bowler who will walk in and be a starter. Hood gives us 3 or 4 potential starters and Hood could very well be #3 or #4 if Ivey can still play to his best.

Again, let the competition begin and let the best man play. BTW, AZ didn't let one of their starting CBs walk, Hood was just a piece. Great signing for the Browns because he provides some very good depth.

Guest Aloysius

Good signing. After striking out on Joselio Hanson and Jabari Greer at the beginning of free agency, Mangini & Kokinis were lucky to have this guy fall into their laps. I'm actually kind of surprised that he'd be willing to sign here, given that he would have been guaranteed a starting job elsewhere. But considering how Mangini likes veteran corners with size (just ask Ty Law), Hood could have a leg up on BMac for the starting job.

Another thing to consider: with all the reports on how good our young receivers have looked, it's likely that some of our DB's are looking equally bad. It could be that some of the veteran guys we signed are showing their age.

I cant wait. This is finally the high caliber leader on defense that we have been looking for.

Nice signing for depth/camp competition but im not convinced he should be called a "high caliber" leader.. an ok solid coverage guy maybe but he is not that guy thats a shutdown corner by any means not even close he currently runs a 40 at 4.6 and lacks great hands but has a nice vertical leap...my opinion...he wont beat wright or mcdonald out and he will be our nickel guy....;)

I disagree. I think he'll be a #2 at worst. They have enough 3 and 4 guys, they added the depth all over the roster, now it looks like they want to sign starters. Depth isn't needed anymore. (<-- depth is always good, but this isn't a depth signing)

Hood isn't a shutdown corner, nor a ballhawk, but he is a good corner who could start for most teams in the league. Definitely for the Browns. He's really good at returning after he makes an interception. He's only 27 years old, too. I really like this signing, and I think it gives the Browns two, young, solid to good corners to go along with the additions at safety and depth at CB. The secondary should be much improved. If the pass rush improves, I think the Browns will have a good defense.

Guest Aloysius

Top ten defenses usually get around 40 sacks, and I'm not sure we're going to generate that much pressure. Despite all the positive talk about our new guys, Kamerion Wimbley and Corey Williams will be pivotal to upping the pressure, but no one here seems to be overly optimistic about those guys.

Chances are we'll be going into next offseason looking for a dynamic DE and/or an athletic edge rusher who'll complete our already improving defense. We're closer, but I don't think we're quite there yet.

The more the depth the better. This will make our younger guys push even harder. I really don't see Mc Donald moving to an safety spots but I do see him getting better, we had 0 pressure last year and the QB could stand there for 10 seconds and then make a pass. This year will be a shit load more blitzes and Mc Donald and the rest of them will be a bit better. Rod Hood is such a smart investment though, for one it takes away from other teams getting him if they lose somebody to injury and we will have somebody if we get injured which always happens the first week of TC. Everyone take a step back and check out this new fn Cleveland Browns team, if you are not truly getting pumped for this season you have no heart and soul.

Wright, Hood, and McDonald are a pretty clear top three now. Hood had five teams coming after him because the Cardinals cut shocked everybody, including Phoenix media and fans. He's a very legit cover guy in this league and only 27 years old.

When you have youth and experience at the top three, you aren't likely to keep around more than one more veteran when you could be developing youngsters. I think Ivey and Poteat compete for one spot and Carey and Francies compete for the other.

But I won't be stunned now if Carey and Francies both make it.

I think either Hood or McDonald can cover the slot, but Adams is a good nickel, too. We have six guys (Pool, Elam, Adams, Wright, McDonald, and Hood) who will eat up all the playing time.

Hood led the team giving up 9 TDs last year and was replaced by the signing of McFadden. It's a nice pickup but I don't see him walking in as a starter. Again, McDonald hasn't shown he can play in the slot and Adams is a backup option. Neither him or Pool could beat out cousins last year and we all know how bad Cousins was. So, I'm hoping Hood can play inside and cover a slot receiver. If not, Ivey may be the best answer. He has experience with covering the slot receiver. He is certainly a better option then Adams who may be involved in a cover three, but not in the nickle as long as Pool and Elam are both healthy.

I dont think hood will start, B-mac is too good, and wright is a fan favorite. Ive posted numerous threads on our two starting corners and how theyre above league average, also how I believe that B-mac is better than wright (which he definitely is) I actually wrote a thread on it. I know wright is fast and can leap with the best of them, but I dont know why people like him so much, he consistently gives WR's a 10 yard cusion then makes the tackle, yeah he prevents the big play, but he is not as much of a ball hawk like B-mac nor is he even half as aggressive as B-mac. B-mac had one bad game last year and everyone hated him.... newsflash, it was one bad play against freakin Brandon Marshall and Jay Cutler, and it was actually sean jones' fault, Jones got the play wrong.

I think B-Mac goes to the nickel. No doubt Mangini & Co. watched the tapes and saw him give up a lot of big plays over the top (For the record Wright had his share, too).

But I've said it before and I'll say it again: Dixon & Minnifield wouldn't be Dixon & Minnifield with this group of pass rushers. We have got to get to the QB before anyone in our secondary becomes relevant.

Remember in '02 when Anthony Henry and the rest of our defense went wild with turning over the opponent? Not coincidentally, we had Pro Bowler Jamir Miller in the offensive backfield on a regular basis.

Translation: If you get to the QB, he will turn it over.

I think B-Mac goes to the nickel. No doubt Mangini & Co. watched the tapes and saw him give up a lot of big plays over the top (For the record Wright had his share, too).

But I've said it before and I'll say it again: Dixon & Minnifield wouldn't be Dixon & Minnifield with this group of pass rushers. We have got to get to the QB before anyone in our secondary becomes relevant.

Remember in '02 when Anthony Henry and the rest of our defense went wild with turning over the opponent? Not coincidentally, we had Pro Bowler Jamir Miller in the offensive backfield on a regular basis.

Translation: If you get to the QB, he will turn it over.

McDonald got a bit of a bad rap because of very bad play by our safties who in a lot of cases should have been providing coverage over the top. So before dissing McDonald, you have to take a hard look at the cover 2 we palyed a lot and realize Mcdonal was hung out to dry on many occasions. Jones got sucked up with play fakes too, too often and Pool plays a decent center field but is slow to react sometimes.

If you think B-Mac got beat a lot last year then don't watch tapes of AZ and Hood.

Two of the three will start and the other will be the third corner. One way or the other, we're stronger at corner... which is great.

Yeah I think Hood beats out McDonald and Ivey sticks as the fourth guy unless one of the rookies really shines. Poteet is camp fodder and fancois or whatever seems developmental, so he'll probably be stashed for a year, it'll be up to Carey to try and beat out Ivey think, and I'd bet on the vet. Not unheard of to kep five corners though either, but the two rooks could be headed for IR or PS. Either way, much better depth than last year.

Zombo

Yeah I think Hood beats out McDonald and Ivey sticks as the fourth guy unless one of the rookies really shines.

Zombo

Exactly what will happen. McDonald is a shutdown corner in the making. Hood actually makes a much better nickelback than a starter.

Check out this thread I created on the Wright vs. Mcdonald issue:

http://thebrownsboard.com/forums/index.php...ic=1596&hl=

There's some good varying opinions there. I do believe Mcdonald can be a shutdown corner if we get some pass rush going, he's got the speed, and he can jam really well for a guy his size, he even makes tackles in the backfield every so often. He's tough, plus he;s great in man and zone coverage, the only issue Ive seen with him is his ability to cover a flag, which in my opinion is the most difficult, especially in the nfl. All it takes is time to learn the characteristics of NFL recievers and detecting the routes.

What Mangini, Kokinis, et all have done is to dramatically improve our depth with proven pros. Granted, not "stars", but very viable players & functional backups. We won't have to sweat bullets now whenever there is an injury as there most certainly will be. This was another good signing along that same path. Count me as pleased.

Mike

What Mangini, Kokinis, et all have done is to dramatically improve our depth with proven pros. Granted, not "stars", but very viable players & functional backups. We won't have to sweat bullets now whenever there is an injury as there most certainly will be. This was another good signing along that same path. Count me as pleased.

Mike

exactly. look at the steelers: they probably don't have many if any hall of famers on that defense in the past 5 years and look what they do every year. if they can keep getting solid guys through free agency and the draft in the years to come, then we will be solid on d for years.

I was listening to Pat Kirwan on NFL radio on Sirius today and he made an interesting point about bringing in Hood.

He said that while Hood was a great pickup the Browns would use him as a safety rather than mess with two very good young corners ,he said the thought process behind that is if you replace either corner and Hood leaves after one season you have pretty much ruined any relationship you had with that player.

I know its the NFL and a player should be able to be professional but I can see his point and I found myself pretty much in agreement with his assesment of the deal.

I like PK's take most of the time and what he is saying here makes a lot of sense. The one thing that pops to mind though is that when coaches (including Mangini, Ryan et al) look at DBs on tape, I think that it's painfully obvious when someone is not as good as they need to be. I don't mean to minimize the job of a DB but being on an island on the field also translates to film. CB and S are two positions where it's VERY hard to hide a lack of skill or instinct.

Archived