THE BROWNS BOARD

"Why the Cleveland Browns don't win?"

thomam3

So I was sitting there watching the game yesterday yelling at the TV for Hue to bench our rookie wonderboy and my 5 year old walks up to me. Conversation goes...

Maz: Why the Cleveland Browns don't win?

Me: Why they don't win? Because they are not very good.

Maz: Why don't they win anytime?

I then started laughing hysterically that he even noticed that the Browns were horrible. I had no clue he even paid attention. My laugh started to slowly turn into a cry as I realized he even knew this.

Last week I was watching the game and somewhat confident they were going to pull off the win while up with a couple minutes left. My wife walks by and I say.."the Browns might finally win!", somewhat confident they could pull it off. She simply replied "No they won't".

I became a Browns fan because I was a fullback in high school and looked up to Tommy Vardell. They became my team. I'm not even from or live in Ohio. I'm not sure why I do this to myself but oh well. I love the Browns. It can't be this way forever can it? ;)  It will swing around. Has to. We will still be here when it does and it will feel oh so good!

i feel you on that one.  the very first Browns game my son watched as a newborn was the Monday night Browns vs. Ravens game that ended in a kick 6.  Welcome to Browns fandom, little man.  He's 2 now and laughs at Browns games (or he's laughing at my outbursts during the game ^_^).  I feel like it's child abuse to force him to watch the Browns, I won't even care if he follows the crowd around here and roots for the Bengals when he's older.  Maybe THE PROCESS will have worked by the time he's 5 and able to make observations about the team, one can only hope and WAIT FOR NEXT YEAR.

I came here with JFF and stuck around because there are a lot of football smart contributors to this board. Now I am content that eventually we will all share in the turnaround that will be there some day. Kind of a nice feeling to maintain hope when all seems so dark and dreary. It's a true measure of character and God knows there are a bunch of us characters still hanging in.

You don't go on a historically bad run without there being multiple reasons.   The team ownership is a joke that can't stick to a plan that has repeatedly hired incompetents.  The coaching staff can't manage very simple football issues, like the clock.  The player personnel staff could do a better job in drafts by using the Sports Illustrated for Kids Coolest College Players list.  In the end, the result is predictable.

1 hour ago, Clark W Griswold said:

The team ownership is a joke that can't stick to a plan that has repeatedly hired incompetents. 

Actually that's a pretty bad plan to stick to...

The Browns are 3rd in the NFL in yards per rush attempt but they have the 8th fewest attempts

The Browns are 31st in yards per pass attempt but they have the 7th  most attempts with a rookie QB

WORST HEADCOACH OF ALL-TIME!!!!!! 

1 hour ago, Browns149 said:

The Browns are 3rd in the NFL in yards per rush attempt but they have the 8th fewest attempts

The Browns are 31st in yards per pass attempt but they have the 7th  most attempts with a rookie QB

WORST HEADCOACH OF ALL-TIME!!!!!! 

Wow!! Good stat find. I think it may be time for Hue to go. That's ridiculous.

4 hours ago, thomam3 said:

Vardell did fine here in Cleveland. Quit hating.

"Touchdown" Tommy Vardell had all of five touchdowns in the 40 games he played for the Browns over four seasons.

He's a weird reason to start liking a team.

2 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

"Touchdown" Tommy Vardell had all of five touchdowns in the 40 games he played for the Browns over four seasons.

I was a fullback. Followed him a bit in college. Looked up to him as a fullback. He went to the Browns so that became my team. I was a high school aged kid. That make better sense?

4 minutes ago, thomam3 said:

I was a fullback. Followed him a bit in college. Looked up to him as a fullback. He went to the Browns so that became my team. I was a high school aged kid. That make better sense?

I guess I would think you would have picked a fullback that was actually good?

You can be honest - it was because he was white, right? :lol:

13 hours ago, thomam3 said:

my 5 year old walks up to me. Conversation goes...

Maz: Why the Cleveland Browns don't win?

Me: Why they don't win? Because they are not very good.

Maz: Why don't they win anytime?

I love this!   From the mouth of babes.

The 5 year old is dumbfounded by how the Harvard Think Tank could produce a so, 'not very good' team that they don't win ANYTIME.

9 hours ago, Browns149 said:

My fav stat-fact from Sunday?

The Browns ran the ball five times on a 96-yard touchdown drive in the second quarter, then ran the ball eight more times the rest of the game.

http://www.espn.com/blog/cleveland-browns/post/_/id/24365/browns-hierarchy-of-problems-from-owner-to-coach-to-players

"Why the Cleveland Browns don't win?"

......because they are going for professional immortality and want us all to be witnesses....or was that the Cavs? :lol:

6 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

He was fondly known as "1st Down Tommy" I recall , back in the day.. What a loser...LOL!

23 minutes ago, nickers said:

He was fondly known as "1st Down Tommy" I recall , back in the day.. What a loser...LOL!

Can show the sometimes HUGE difference between NCAA and the professionals especially after signing that bonus check. Desire to really get beat up every week can show.

He never fumbled at Stanford either.

6 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

My fav stat-fact from Sunday?

The Browns ran the ball five times on a 96-yard touchdown drive in the second quarter, then ran the ball eight more times the rest of the game.

http://www.espn.com/blog/cleveland-browns/post/_/id/24365/browns-hierarchy-of-problems-from-owner-to-coach-to-players

This pains me greatly.

14 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

I guess I would think you would have picked a fullback that was actually good?

You can be honest - it was because he was white, right? :lol:

He wasn't really "white".   He was actually, like, Polynesian or something...wasn't he?

Or, actually, upon further review...it seems that the Vardells have a lot of Native American.

Archived