THE BROWNS BOARD

Making the Browns great again

Louisville Slugger

Ok so great probably isn't the right word, let's go with competitive. It's very early so this is subject to change, but this is how I would attempt to get us headed in the right direction. 

First off give Hue Jackson the boot. I was all for the process but since we canned sashi, we just need to throw all of that out of the window.

Hire Jim Schwartz as head coach. He is a defensive mastermind that even had the Lions defense playing well for awhile. His stint with the Lions was up and down but I think he deserves a second chance.

Hire Greg Roman as offensive coordinator. I've made a whole thread about why I think we should hire him. Bottom line I think his offense will work wonders on Cleveland and he has worked with Schwartz in Buffalo.

QB- T. Taylor(FA/trade) L. Jackson (Rd 1a) D. Kizer- if we have to trade for Taylor it shouldn't cost more than a late round pick. He is knows the offense and will manage the game while Jackson eventually takes the reigns. I wouldn't sleep on Kizer in this offense either but he maybe a lost cause.

RB- N. Chubb (Rd 2a) D. Johnson M. Dayes- I think Chubb will be the value pick at the running back position in this draft. Outside of L. Bell there is no one in the FA market that I'm interested in bring in. If we're being honest we have no chance at getting bell but I would send him an offer anyways.

FB- D. Vitale- He was under used in the offense and he does some good things on special teams.

WR- J. Gordon A. Robinson(FA) A. Miller(Rd 2c) C. Coleman A. Tate(Rd 4)- We all know we can't rely on Gordon and Coleman so we need to make a move for one of the top FA wideouts. Robinson is a big and productive so he's my favorite out of the top WR options, plus he's coming off an injury so his asking price might scare away other teams. Miller is a fiesty smaller receiver that plays a lot like Steve Smith. Tate is a raw reciever but is a giant. He looks like a Kelvin Benjamin clone that is going to win those 50/50 balls. 

TE- D. Njoku S. Devalve- I only have 2 TEs listed because I think those 2 have potential and our 3rd TE should be of the blocking variety. I would think long and hard about Hurst or Andrews in the 2nd.

OL- J. Thomas J. Bitonio J. Tretter K. Zietler S. Coleman- I think we have a solid line that mainly needs depth. I would keep an eye out for Price the centsr if slides into the 2nd. 

DE- M. Garrett E. Ogbah C. Nassib N. Orchard- we could use a situational pass rusher to push Orchard out of the rotation. I don't think it's a dire need as I expect Garrett to become a beast and Ogbah is better than most five him credit for.

DT- D. Shelton S. Richardson(FA) T. Coley L. Ogunjobi C. Brantley- I think we have some really promising young big fellas but they all kind of do the same thing. Bringing in someone like Richardson who offers a strong pass rush up the middle will make the whole Dline better.

LB- J. Collins J. Schobert C. Kirksey J. Burgess- we could really use some depth and possibly upgrade the middle linebacker position, but it's a pretty good unit. They really need to work on their coverage skills though.

CB- J. McCourty J. Jackson( Rd 1b) B. Boddy-Calhoun J. Taylor J. Alexander(Rd 2b) K. Fuller(FA)- secondary is an obvious weakness so we need to invest heavily here. Jackson has potential to be a shutdown corner who will make a QB pay for bad passes. Alexander is a stud who's stock may take a hit due to his injury. If we can land him in the 2nd we will have a steal. K. Fuller is the guy I wanted instead of Justin Gilbert but he's struggled a bit and should be fairly cheap.

FS- A. Watts(Rd 3) K. Nacua- Watts may not be a traditional FS but the kid is just a baller. There isn't a ton of FS talent available so unless we can land a trade for E. Thomas (wants out of seattle) or T. Mathieu (the cardinals may blow up there team if Arians leaves) then this is may be the best route. Fitzpatrick in the draft or Joyner/ Boston in FA are other options but Watts is the better value in my eyes.

SS- J. Peppers D. Kindred- I didn't like the Peppers pick but I think he deserves a chance at his natural position. If he doesn't pan out then Kindred has been serviceable when healthy. We also have Cash on the roster as a linebacker who was pretty good for Duke.

Jim Schwartz is a defensive guy I don't think he's ever had much say on the offensive side of the ball.

Sure Lamar has some flaws but he has the potential to be special and that's what we need. Darnold and Rosen have some pretty clear red flags too so why not gamble on the highest potential and even if he can't turn this thing around he will be fun to watch. I posted on another thread that if we get Roman I want Lamar, but if we go with a more traditional offense I would mean toward Darnold.

13 minutes ago, Louisville Slugger said:

Jim Schwartz is a defensive guy I don't think he's ever had much say on the offensive side of the ball.

Sure Lamar has some flaws but he has the potential to be special and that's what we need. Darnold and Rosen have some pretty clear red flags too so why not gamble on the highest potential and even if he can't turn this thing around he will be fun to watch. I posted on another thread that if we get Roman I want Lamar, but if we go with a more traditional offense I would mean toward Darnold.

I can agree with all of your picks except for the QB.  I still think we need someone like Josh Allen.  He's a big, tall QB like Big Ben with size and can throw the ball anywhere.  I also take it back on your backup QB L. Jackson.  I think getting someone like Alex Smith from KC to take the reigns next season is almost a must while Josh and Deshone watch is vital to the season.  

4 hours ago, Louisville Slugger said:

Sure Lamar has some flaws but he has the potential to be special and that's what we need. Darnold and Rosen have some pretty clear red flags too so why not gamble on the highest potential and even if he can't turn this thing around he will be fun to watch.

Here's what I don't understand - what makes Jackson the guy in your eyes that has the highest potential Slugger? And if you think it's his elite athleticism, I'll counter with: Think of all the best QBs in recent NFL history - Marino, Montana, Kelly, Aikman, Brady, Manning, etc... How many were elite athletes?

And if he's not successful he'll be fun to watch? What? You serious, Clark?

Have you seen Lamar play? He is very entertaining to watch. If he can't get us winning atleast we will get our money's worth.

I don't think we should look at him as the next Brady or Marino, but Mike Vick had plenty of solid seasons. I personally think he is a better prospect than Vick so it's not out of the realm of possibility that he turns this team around. Again he needs work but so does every QB in this class

1 hour ago, Louisville Slugger said:

Have you seen Lamar play?

Yep, live at NC State in Raleigh. here’s the thing. We need a QB that takes a bunch of “Chicken Little’s” that can convince them the sky is not falling. Lamar is the QB in this draft that has done more with less team playing experience. Twice, as Heisman finalist. Jackson starts only 1senior at TE. 2 junior WR’s with a sophomore. OL, with 3 juniors,sophomore, 1 freshman. Reverse of a guy like Rudolph blessed with 2 senior WR’s with a freshman. Rudolph also brings 3 seniors to a OL at both Tackles & Center. Mayfield,Rosen,Darnold have Centers that are Senior driven while Allen starts a Senior LG. All 4 of these QB’s have junior or sophomore WR cores. Putting all this together, Lamar is a absolute freak athleticism creature as a 2 time Heisman finalist.. 

Archived