THE BROWNS BOARD

Tyrod Taylor and Lamar Jackson

Adoug319

Here me out.. Perhaps the best way to improve this team would be a little different than most would do it.

Key FA signings:

Tyrod Taylor, QB (A Good, not great QB. Won’t put the team on his back, but can win games and certainly won’t lose them. Rarely turns the ball over, only 4 INTs on the year. And got his team to the playoffs for the first time in 17 years. Wouldn’t that be nice?)

Malcolm Butler, CB (We’re all familiar with his game-clinching interception in the Super Bowl, but he has turned into a pretty solid corner for the best team in the NFL. Would be a good signing to add to our weak CB group.)

Terrelle Pryor, WR (Taking emotion out of it, would be a nice signing. He already knows Hue’s system and had 1,000 yds receiving with Cody Kessler throwing him the ball. Sign him, would add depth to our receiving room)

Demarcus Lawrence, DE (Is a FA this year, played well in Dallas, pairing him across Myles Garrett would be scary.)

Draft:

1. Saquon Barkley, RB (Arguably the best player in the draft. Is an elite talent, and scouts are calling him a once in a generation RB. Has all the vision, athleticism, and pass catching ability in the world. Needed to improve his blocking, and did. Could be our Le’Veon Bell paired with Duke Johnson.)

2. Minkah Fitzpatrick, FS (Again, arguably the best player in the draft. Probably the most sure-fire perennial pro bowl player in this draft. Obviously nothing is guaranteed, but this is about as sure as it gets. Minkah at FS, with Peppers at SS? Would be a thing of beauty.

3. Trade up ( anywhere from 7-12?) for Lamar Jackson, QB (We have too many draft picks. With all the young players on the team, there’s no way we’re drafting 12 players or whatever it is. Jackson’s college production speaks for itself. Easily the most athletic QB in the draft, has the arm strength to make all of the throws, but needs to work on his mechanics. Has a narrow base a lot of times, which effects his accuracy. 1-2 years behind Tyrod Taylor would give him time to adjust.)

Now all of a sudden we have a QB who has proven capable of winning and taking his team to the playoffs. A solid CB to add to our group of youth. Another good DE to pair across from Garrett. And of course the infamous Pryor who had 1,000 in Hue Jackson’s system, without Josh Gordon.

And in the draft, we get arguably the two best players in Barkley and Fitzpatrick, in addition to the QB with arguably the best upside, who will have time to sit.

I would argue that if you are not taking a QB with either of those first picks, you'd be better off taking Fitz 1st and Barkley 2nd if you insist it has to be those two. More likely that would be the order of the take, especially if the 2 in between are QB deprived. Fitz would be the more tempting to other teams IMO for exactly the reason you predict, most likely to be All-pro.

1 hour ago, TexasAg1969 said:

I would argue that if you are not taking a QB with either of those first picks, you'd be better off taking Fitz 1st and Barkley 2nd if you insist it has to be those two. More likely that would be the order of the take, especially if the 2 in between are QB deprived. Fitz would be the more tempting to other teams IMO for exactly the reason you predict, most likely to be All-pro.

It’s tough because you don’t know what these teams are thinking, you’re right they’re both players teams want. The reason I went Barkley 1 and Minkah 4 is because the Colts have said they want an Edgerrin James, so they would probably take Barkley

The draft order should be determined by how unique the top player at each position is in the class, i.e., who separates himself the most from the field. While I don't know the DB class well, I can't see that player being Barkley.

Otherwise...

• Taylor is under contract through 2018.
  • Butler is interesting, but Trumaine Johnson won't be tagged again.
  • Pryor isn't a bad choice, but there a a ton of good, more accomplished WRs hitting UFA this off-season.
  • Lawrence would be a really good get, but I can't see him leaving DAL.

1 hour ago, TexasAg1969 said:

To take it a step further, if there’s no QB being drafted at 1, trade down. Barkley is a beast, but there are a lot of very talented running backs coming out this year. The last thing the browns need to do is follow up 0-16 by being the first team to draft a rb at #1 overall in over 20 years, especially in a class with guys like Guice, Chubb, Love etc. History tells us that one of those second/third tier guys will perform almost as well or better than Barkley while cutting out the risk of using #1 overall on the position most likely to be injured.

1 hour ago, Tour2ma said:

The draft order should be determined by how unique the top player at each position is in the class, i.e., who separates himself the most from the field, I can't see that player being Barkley.

Agree. Barkley is ranked 28th in rushing yards this season behind 4 Qb's..This RB draft class should be stacked at 6 guys deep that won't separate much going pro..who had K.Hunt rushing over Joe Mixon? nobody,well maybe Dorsey^_^

Barkley is this drafts Myles Garrett.  A blue-chip position prototype.  Barkley is a full-sized Eric Metcalf.  A healthy Fred Taylor?  The next Marshall Faulk or Edgerrin James (we see you picking at #3 Colts).  Take him at #1 and don't look back.  Take Lamar Jackson at #4 and the backfield now has some serious athleticism and potential.  Throw in Josh Gordon and the next Triplets are born.

2 minutes ago, SkippinTurtles said:

Barkley is this drafts Myles Garrett.  A blue-chip position prototype.  Barkley is a full-sized Eric Metcalf.  A healthy Fred Taylor?  The next Marshall Faulk or Edgerrin James (we see you picking at #3 Colts).  Take him at #1 and don't look back.  Take Lamar Jackson at #4 and the backfield now has some serious athleticism and potential.  Throw in Josh Gordon and the next Triplets are born.

OMG-Please don't be Dorsey.;)

Archived