THE BROWNS BOARD

Let the hand-wringing begin

Westside Steve

16 minutes ago, Westside Steve said:

It's good to keep your wishes within reach. I don't know where you live in Texas but it's just under 2000 miles from Dallas to Bangor.

:lol:

Also I would guess that the number of illegals is much less than in Texas.

WSS

I love lobster but I can't stand the cold waters there. As to the illegals, since Trump got elected I very rarely hear Mexican radio stations blaring at worksites in the housing that is still going up on my bicycle rides. They do very professional work BTW. We have a major source of limestone here which is used instead of brick. Those guys work wonders with that stuff. Real artists. Not surprising given the stonework heritage from Aztecs, Toltecs  and Mayans in Mexico.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, TexasAg1969 said:

I love lobster but I can't stand the cold waters there. As to the illegals, since Trump got elected I very rarely hear Mexican radio stations blaring at worksites in the housing that is still going up on my bicycle rides. They do very professional work BTW. We have a major source of limestone here which is used instead of brick. Those guys work wonders with that stuff. Real artists. Not surprising given the stonework heritage from Aztecs, Toltecs  and Mayans in Mexico.

I lived in Texas for a while, I love Mexicans. Some of the friendliest people I've ever met. Still can't get behind illegal immigration,  at people  that purposely blur the line between legal and illegal piss me off , sorry.

WSS

2 minutes ago, Westside Steve said:

I lived in Texas for a while, I love Mexicans. Some of the friendliest people I've ever met. Still can't get behind illegal immigration,  at people  that purposely blur the line between legal and illegal piss me off , sorry.

WSS

It's probably good that I take a historical perspective on this into account. Most Texans will not admit that Texas was a colony of Mexico which owed territory all the way up into lower Wyoming. Had Santa Anna been a little more of a benevolent leader, I'd be Mexican of Anglo descent (family had a land grant in the Austin Colony) and Texas would still be a Mexican state. Then I'd be a fan of the Mexico City Aztecs (formerly Cleveland Browns) when they make Ghoolie's move.:lol:

2 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

It's probably good that I take a historical perspective on this into account. Most Texans will not admit that Texas was a colony of Mexico which owed territory all the way up into lower Wyoming. Had Santa Anna been a little more of a benevolent leader, I'd be Mexican of Anglo descent (family had a land grant in the Austin Colony) and Texas would still be a Mexican state. Then I'd be a fan of the Mexico City Aztecs (formerly Cleveland Browns) when they make Ghoolie's move.:lol:

Texas has only been a state since 1845. How far back in history should we go? Before the Spanish over ran the Inca and Mayans?

Pre 1519?

WSS

ah, Texas. Was in basic in San Antonio, went on a cool trip to the Alamo back in the 70's. I envisioned the Alamo as a majestic fortress out in the middle of a sagebrush plain.

It was a small brick building downtown, with x-rated movie theater across the street.

Going back there- it's cool, would NEVER live there. Can't walk in your yard for red ants, etc. Where the in-laws lived,it was called "tarantula" hill near them, til they killed them all off.

Just not my kind of place.

10 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

Texas has only been a state since 1845. How far back in history should we go? Before the Spanish over ran the Inca and Mayans?

Pre 1519?

WSS

Texas was a Mexican colony until declaring independence March 2, 1836 with the Alamo falling 4 days later and then the defeat of Santa Anna's army April 21, 1836 at San Jacinto. It  was an independent nation until 1845. One of my great great grandfathers had the state place a granite marker as a footstone on his grave that reads, "Citizen of Texas". They do that for anyone they identify as a citizen during that 1836-1845 time period. BTW I want that land along the front range of the Rockies up into Wyoming back. I sent my 3 siblings there as scouts.:rolleyes:

10 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

ah, Texas. Was in basic in San Antonio, went on a cool trip to the Alamo back in the 70's. I envisioned the Alamo as a majestic fortress out in the middle of a sagebrush plain.

It was a small brick building downtown, with x-rated movie theater across the street.

Going back there- it's cool, would NEVER live there. Can't walk in your yard for red ants, etc. Where the in-laws lived,it was called "tarantula" hill near them, til they killed them all off.

Just not my kind of place.

Cal most of the Alamo compound no longer exists so in fact what they defended was much larger than what you see there today.  The church facade is in the far upper right and the enclosure today is right next to it. All those outer walls are gone and it comprises most of the square footage. Crockett and Travis were both killed on the outer wall.

https://images.search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?p=alamo+1836+pictures&fr=yhs-pty-pty_email&hspart=pty&hsimp=yhs-pty_email&imgurl=http%3A%2F%2Fpostalworkers.net%2Fsa%2Fcompound.jpg#id=32&iurl=http%3A%2F%2Fpostalworkers.net%2Fsa%2Fcompound.jpg&action=click

11 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

ah. I never knew that. I was startled as to my imagination and reality there. Still have the picture in some box.lol

When was the last time you were there? They have greatly improved the River Walk and recently added more to it so you can take the boat ride even further up the river. Also They now have an IMAX right near the Alamo that plays a more accurate history of the actual battle, including one Mexican soldier being allowed to bury his "rebel" brother rather than have him burned with all the other Texians' bodies as they were called in those days. It's been a while since I saw it but I think they also showed a few captured alive and then executed by order of Santa Anna.

oh, 73 was the only time. I've heard about the expanded river walk, etc. But when we go - it's always to McKinney, N. of Dallas. by 40 minutes. Been to Dallas, Ft. Worth, but San Anton is not a place we'd ever go again. I think if I went to San Anton, my new knee would start hurting just being that close to Lackland AFB. lol

Archived