THE BROWNS BOARD

Beginners guide to Rum (Tex?)

DieHardBrownsFan

Well at least he got Santa Teresa 1796 which many of my Venezuelan friends like a lot. So far I have been unable to find one close by. If I ever do I'll post a review.

But for pure sipping pleasure with no ice or mixers there is nothing that beats my Diplomatico Reserva Exclusiva. Keep some around to test against any other some may suggest. So far none of my side by side taste tests with many a good sipper have come close. Closest was one from Peru, 18 year old Ron Cartavio XO. The El Dorado 12 year old from Guyana he mentions is also a pretty decent sipper, but still didn't beat the Diplomatico side by side for me anyway. Be careful with that Diplomatico though. It is so smooth and flavorful without being overwhelmed by alcohol aftertaste that you can go through half a bottle easy as pie. I limit myself to 1 or 2 shots and take my time while reading a good book.

If you want a really good mixer in a very dark rum try Goslings Black Seal from Bermuda. Not super expensive but a fine black molasses rum taste to it. Kind of smoky rummy. Not a sipper though.

1 hour ago, TexasAg1969 said:

That's not rum. That's wood grain alcohol with brown sugar flavoring.:lol:

Flaming arrows? 

16 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Hey Steve enjoyed your interview after clicking on the picture in the right lower corner after your song ended.

Also enjoyed some of your other songs on youtube.

Thanks Tex!

If you get a chance check out my Texas connection, a song called Abilene. I actually wrote it back in the 80s when the band was playing in Lubbock but that name just didn't sound romantic enough...

WSS

1 hour ago, Westside Steve said:

Thanks Tex!

If you get a chance check out my Texas connection, a song called Abilene. I actually wrote it back in the 80s when the band was playing in Lubbock but that name just didn't sound romantic enough...

WSS

Actually I had seen it and thought you were remaking George Hamilton IV's "Abilene"  ("Prettiest town I've ever seen, women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene, my Abilene")

3 minutes ago, Westside Steve said:

Nope, one of my themes as I get older.

I was just inspired to write a sad cowboy song coming home at the end of a long life.

WSS

LOL! I've been thinking about cleaning out ever nook and cranny in our home just so my kids don't have to go through every little thing to sort out collected trash from gems. When my mom died it took 5 of us kids a week with a huge long bed walk-in dumpster to empty out everything accumulated while trying to divide up things that had some value to one or more of us. The dumpster ended up well more than half full even though it was about 40' long. They had a two car garage and then a 4 car garage built in behind the house to keep 4 collectible cars, a 1925 Hupmobile, a 1925 Studebaker 2 seat convertible, a 65 Mustang convertible and a 1925 Jag two seat kit car my dad had built onto a Pinto body. There was a lot of "stuff" in all that space in addition to the cars he had collected.

• 7 months later...

Ok got another great rum to add to the bunch and it's not even Venezuelan. It's from Barbados (pretty damn close). Here's a little write-up:  " The Plantation 20th Anniversary Rum is a blending of the company’s oldest Bajan Rum reserves. These selected rums were first aged in the Caribbean (in ex-bourbon casks). Then they are transported to France to be blended by Plantation Rum’s Cellar Master at Château de Bonbonnet. The blended rum is matured a second time in small French oak casks for another 12 to 18 months. This “double aging” gives rise to a startling increase in both the body of the rum and its complexity, and is the signature of Cognac Ferrand’s Plantation Rum portfolio."

This stuff rivals my Diplomatico Reserva Exclusiva as another really great sipping rum.

Archived