THE BROWNS BOARD

What is wrong with Trent Dilfer?

D'Qwimbley

Dilfer picked DA to win the starting job on SportsCenter today. Not surprising, knowing he has a mancrush on him and hates the Browns. His reasoning though?

He says DA took a "bad" Browns team to 10 wins. How does he know they were bad? HE WAS THERE!

No, Trent, you weren't. You were in San Francisco.

In all seriousness, what did the Browns do before DA took over the starter's spot? What did they do after he got demoted? As a starter in '07 he went 10 and 5 in '08 before the demotion, 3 and 5. Both records compare quite favorably to the records without him as a starter in the last several years, with the '07 season having the most wins for a Browns team since 1994.

If you look at the productivity of the team... TDs, both passing and rushing, points on the board, yardage, wins.... The stretch that DA played in was pretty darned good compared to the stretch he didn't play in. Maybe it's coincidence, maybe not. That's up for the coaches to decide. If Quinn looks to provide a better upside than DA, they'll probably start Quinn, but the coaches may not be so blind as to not look at the team that surrounded our QBs the last few years when judging QB play.

I wouldnt rule DA in or out just yet the one glaring weakness mangini has had in NY for 3 years was qb problems...pennington/clemens/favre lets just hope he truly gives the team the guy that gives us the best chance now but more importantly down the road...;)

I wouldnt rule DA in or out just yet the one glaring weakness mangini has had in NY for 3 years was qb problems...pennington/clemens/favre lets just hope he truly gives the team the guy that gives us the best chance now but more importantly down the road...;)

The QB problems in NY where because Pennington was hurt. There was never a QB controversy. When they brought Favre in they traded Pennington.

I am not a big DA fan. However, he showed enough in that 10 win season for a guy who is still VERY young to have considerable upside with the right coaching and surroundings. That Dilfer picked him should not be a complete surprise. Anderson does have a lot of things that teams DO LIKE.. I still think Quinn is the way for the Browns. I believe once Quinn wins the job.. you send DA out of town and go with the guy from the Jets as the primary backup. .. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

T-Dil wasn't lying, he merely misremembered.

I'm with shep on this one...I actually don't mind Dilfer unless he brings us up.

The point of this thread wasnt DA vs. Quinn. Its the fact that Dilfer said he knows DA is better becuase HE WAS HERE to watch DA take a bad team to 10 wins. He had been gone for two years when we won 10 games. He wasn't here.

That's apparently your point. He definitely was in Cleveland long enough to get a fair handle on the coaching staff, the ownership, many of the players. He and DA were only separated by 4 months of off season from being teammates. He possibly could've meant "I was there" to refer to being in Cleveland with mostly the same coaches and players and that he suspects little changed between then and the time DA stepped in.... remember they only won 4 games in '06, 1 thanks to a DA led comeback, and looked flat out horrible with Frye in that first game of '07.

That's apparently your point. He definitely was in Cleveland long enough to get a fair handle on the coaching staff, the ownership, many of the players. He and DA were only separated by 4 months of off season from being teammates. He possibly could've meant "I was there" to refer to being in Cleveland with mostly the same coaches and players and that he suspects little changed between then and the time DA stepped in.... remember they only won 4 games in '06, 1 thanks to a DA led comeback, and looked flat out horrible with Frye in that first game of '07.

Wow.

But you live in Kona, which means no matter which way you lean or what we say about your boy Derek, you're the big wnner here.

Talking about anybody but the Browns, I like Dilfer. I think he does a great job. But he's really a mess over his former team.

There's no sense in declaring that both guys are great but Anderson will start. If both guys are great, Quinn will start. He's the fan favorite and the Browns refused to part with him, even for a first round pick... and Anderson's contract becomes untenable in 2010. It benefits the Browns for Quinn to win.

from a salary perspective it actually benefits the Browns more for Quinn not to win. it will cause his escalators to kick in.

one guy rising head and shoulders above the others and becoming the undeniable starter benefits the Browns the most and allows them to finally move forward.

Dilfer breaks down film well and sees the angles from a QB's perspective. i trust his opinion to a certain extent.

and nickers, i really hope you quintuple posted on purpose cuz if you ain't got it down by now...

Archived