THE BROWNS BOARD

This Board is Nonsense

MLD Woody

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

I don't bet on wars Steve. But I do fear them. And they are vastly easier to get into than they are to avoid.

You mean you have been approached before to bet on a war but turned it down or you just don't bet on things when you're pretty damn sure about losing a chunk of your Social Security?

;)

WSS

7 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

You mean you have been approached before to bet on a war but turned it down or you just don't bet on things when you're pretty damn sure about losing a chunk of your Social Security?

;)

WSS

I do not recall when I stopped beating my wife if I ever beat her.;)

41 minutes ago, Westside Steve said:

I suggest you think it over. Pretty sweet deal.

Just think if you win and we are taking over by the North Koreans $50 something like 47,000  NKW!

:lol:

WSS

I'll think it over-If I lose I could contribute $50 worth of cal's root beer to a tailgate get together (if we are able to make a game in Oct) since I would not drink any of it anyway.:lol:

3 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

I'll think it over-If I lose I could contribute $50 worth of cal's root beer to a tailgate get together (if we are able to make a game in Oct) since I would not drink any of it anyway.:lol:

You must be new to this kind of thing. Cal's form of currency is tomatoes.

WSS

1 hour ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

If I recall it's a bushel of tomato

So we're all gonna eat tomato sandwiches?:P You damn Yankees are kinda squirrelly.............but then bein' married to one I kinda knew that already. It took me a year to figure out that a quahog was not a particular kind of four legged truffle finder:lol:.

17 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

So we're all gonna eat tomato sandwiches?:P You damn Yankees are kinda squirrelly.............but then bein' married to one I kinda knew that already. It took me a year to figure out that a quahog was not a particular kind of four legged truffle finder:lol:.

Who doesn't like tomato sandwiches?

WSS

I could live on BLTs my entire life.

The best tomatoes are grown organically, and you have to grow the right types.

Some are too non-acidy, most on the market in stores - have a tough skin, etc, to not bruise in shipping,

they are stored in a gas to keep them from ripening, then they put in another gas to make them ripen.

They taste like red blah.

1 hour ago, calfoxwc said:

I could live on BLTs my entire life.

The best tomatoes are grown organically, and you have to grow the right types.

Some are too non-acidy, most on the market in stores - have a tough skin, etc, to not bruise in shipping,

they are stored in a gas to keep them from ripening, then they put in another gas to make them ripen.

They taste like red blah.

Best tomatoes I ever had in my life were when I was stationed at Ft. Bragg, N.C. and went to a local farmers market in a small town near there. No mushiness, perfectly ripened and so tomatoey (if that's a word) you could just put your nose in the bag and breath in tomato.

Early Girls are a long time favorite hybrid that is one of the first to ripen.

the sunsugar cherry tomato is a gigantic hit. I like to take those, and others, split em and dehydrate em into "raisins"

and eat them during the winter. Same thing with blueberries.

1 hour ago, calfoxwc said:

Early Girls are a long time favorite hybrid that is one of the first to ripen.

the sunsugar cherry tomato is a gigantic hit. I like to take those, and others, split em and dehydrate em into "raisins"

and eat them during the winter. Same thing with blueberries.

Do you grow your own blueberries or do you use wild ones? My wife's sister had a cabin on a lake in Maine and we were canoeing around the lake picking wild ripe blueberries off vines that came down to the water's edge. Ate about half right there and took the rest back every day for fresh blueberries every meal and fresh wild blueberry pie and cobbler. Damn that was great stuff!

no, our soil isn't as acidic - tried to plant and add acid- didn't work well at all. Neighbor to my brother-in-law 45 min away - he has a large

blueberry farm.  Gives us a lower price per lb. That is excellent stuff. Very healthy, too. We have about 300 stawberry plants in the upcoming third year. Wanted to sell some of em, but we like them so much - forget that. Have wild blackberries, rasberries, a mulberry tree. Add some blueberries - would make a great jam.

The most interesting berry is a tomato ! It's called a husk tomato, and also ground cherry. A crazy tropical fruit/pineapple flavor. I made jam out of those, that rocked. I haven't tried making a pie out of them. It is very sweet - and is a member of the tomatillo family.

Love these, too. They make excellent "raisins" dehydrated.

https://www.thekitchn.com/5-reasons-youll-want-to-buy-husk-cherries-at-the-farmers-market-tips-from-the-kitchn-205798

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-culture/five-ways-to-eat-ground-cherries-98470003/

20 minutes ago, calfoxwc said:

no, our soil isn't as acidic - tried to plant and add acid- didn't work well at all. Neighbor to my brother-in-law 45 min away - he has a large

blueberry farm.  Gives us a lower price per lb. That is excellent stuff. Very healthy, too. We have about 300 stawberry plants in the upcoming third year. Wanted to sell some of em, but we like them so much - forget that. Have wild blackberries, rasberries, a mulberry tree. Add some blueberries - would make a great jam.

The most interesting berry is a tomato ! It's called a husk tomato, and also ground cherry. A crazy tropical fruit/pineapple flavor. I made jam out of those, that rocked. I haven't tried making a pie out of them. It is very sweet - and is a member of the tomatillo family.

Love these, too. They make excellent "raisins" dehydrated.

https://www.thekitchn.com/5-reasons-youll-want-to-buy-husk-cherries-at-the-farmers-market-tips-from-the-kitchn-205798

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-culture/five-ways-to-eat-ground-cherries-98470003/

We have dewberries and wild grapes down here. My grandmother used to make jams out of both from their small farm many years ago. Wish I had learned her secrets back then. She would seal each jar with wax on top of the jam before putting on the lid. Her theory was that it preserved the jams for longer than the lid alone. Is that a process you use too?

21 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

We have dewberries and wild grapes down here. My grandmother used to make jams out of both from their small farm many years ago. Wish I had learned her secrets back then. She would seal each jar with wax on top of the jam before putting on the lid. Her theory was that it preserved the jams for longer than the lid alone. Is that a process you use too?

My grandmother on my mother's side made homemade jams with the wax on top also.  She also made some killer coconut creme, apple and lemon merangue pies.

5 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

I know about it - but don't use wax. Found wild grapes out back in our woods - makes some freaking AWESOME grape juice.

You have to be certain it's wild grapes, and not a poison look alike. The poison ones all have one half-moon seed in them.

Both grow on a vine, though.

Who moderates this cesspool?

To abuse that power by tagging a tread title... even in an attempt to be humorous as was done here... is unconscionable.

Their moderation should be revoked.

Archived