THE BROWNS BOARD

Political diversions / reprieve

JAFBF

On 3/26/2018 at 9:55 PM, calfoxwc said:

JAF - speaking of the Beatles, one of my favorite things to do, was to

play the rubber soul album on a record player - because you could turn it to 78 rpm,

and they sounded just like the three chipmunks.

Rubber Soul is a great album , dude...

• Thanks 1

I'd much rather talk about music rather than politics but I fear even those discussions would lead to immense divides 😔

We are polarized beyond repair thanks to our MSM..

Pravda and Tass would be so proud..

1 hour ago, nickers said:

Rubber Soul is a great album , dude...

yes, it is - I listened to it so many times, I just thought to turn it to 78 rpm

because it was so freaking funny. lol.

I mean, the 3 Chipmunks singing Beatles songs ! LOL

Of course, back then, my best friend and fishing buddy and I

played our guitars and did a fair job of "Sounds of Silence" by Simon and Garfunkel.

We also had funny times we changed the words to another favorite -

"Eve of Destruction". One time we were playing for friends, and we added a great line

about fishing and catching carp...etc. LOL

"Eve of Destruction" was a great song. Here Barry McGwire sings in again,

with a few changes in lyrics - 1965 back then, then he and a few friends play it live, in 2012.

and yeah, it's truer today. I could do the harmonica part, too. LOL

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

"Eve of Destruction" was a great song. Here Barry McGwire sings in again,

with a few changes in lyrics - 1965 back then, then he and a few friends play it live, in 2012.

and yeah, it's truer today. I could do the harmonica part, too. LOL

Cal that song came out the year I was born.. And sadly... That song still holds up and mirrors what is actually going on today... It almost breaks my heart just to listen to it...

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
7 hours ago, JAFBF said:

Another nice analyst of Music.

Concentrating on the Drummer / Bassist here.

Yep, one of the best Drrummers out there (Neil Peart / Phil Collins) - two of the best in their hay days.

The two best drummers alive right now are Vinnie Calaiuta and Virgil Donati..Bar none! Both are in their 60's and have been industry session drummers for decades. They both have unworldly abilities... They are on a level light years ahead of everyone else.. I would put Dave Weckl in that camp too.. His tonality on Drums is phenomenal..

Steve Gadds drumming on Steely Dans Aja 💯

prior to that was with chick correa and herbie hancock?

Chester Thompson or Terry Bozzio with Frank Zappa / Mothers

Vinnie Calaiuta also drummed with Zappa later   

all play jazz fusion style 

Gadd and Dave Weckl have ties as well

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FairHooker11 said:

Steve Gadds drumming on Steely Dans Aja 💯

prior to that was with chick correa and herbie hancock?

Chester Thompson or Terry Bozzio with Frank Zappa / Mothers

Vinnie Calaiuta also drummed with Zappa later   

all play jazz fusion style 

Gadd and Dave Weckl have ties as well

Steve Gadd probably has the best pure clock of any drummer I ever heard next to Charlie Watt of the stones and Jeff Porcaro of Toto

Despite his extreme arrogance and how vile this guy really was, Buddy Rich was the GOAT.

Then you can talk about everyone else.

Here is a voice recording of Rich chewing out his band on a bus after a gig.. Not knowing he was being recorded.

Calling them motherfuckers and assholes...what a dick he was.

https://youtu.be/t8-uoTD4fMQ

3 hours ago, FY56 said:

Despite his extreme arrogance and how vile this guy really was, Buddy Rich was the GOAT.

Then you can talk about everyone else.

Here is a voice recording of Rich chewing out his band on a bus after a gig.. Not knowing he was being recorded.

Calling them motherfuckers and assholes...what a dick he was.

https://youtu.be/t8-uoTD4fMQ

Buddy Rich was the GOAT until Virgil Donati came along... Trust me when I tell you.. Virgil is on a entirely different planet than Rich was on... Rich was stuck in one Genre(Jazz)... Donati does it all... Jazz, Fusion,Metal,Prog Rock you name it... Donati does things with odd time signatures that Rich couldn't master. Not saying he couldn't..He only cared about Jazz and was stuck in his own bubble. when it comes to Calaiuta and Donati.. You can't keep up with them in terms of were the 1 begins.. Or it ends.. I've played Drums and Percussion my entire life besides Guitar (My main) , Bass and Piano/Keyboards.. And some Mandolin on occasion.. I was born with a metronome in my body... Had Rich dropped the attitude and explored more then yeah.. But Rich , no doubt was the greatest in his era.. Donati and Calaiuta were influenced by him.. No doubt about it.. If you want to go on pure technique.. Mike Mangini probably blows them all away... But when it comes to all around feel, tonality and technique... Donati is the KING!

• Thanks 1

On 3/27/2024 at 3:13 PM, nickers said:

Buddy Rich was the GOAT until Virgil Donati came along... Trust me when I tell you.. Virgil is on a entirely different planet than Rich was on... Rich was stuck in one Genre(Jazz)... Donati does it all... Jazz, Fusion,Metal,Prog Rock you name it... Donati does things with odd time signatures that Rich couldn't master. Not saying he couldn't..He only cared about Jazz and was stuck in his own bubble. when it comes to Calaiuta and Donati.. You can't keep up with them in terms of were the 1 begins.. Or it ends.. I've played Drums and Percussion my entire life besides Guitar (My main) , Bass and Piano/Keyboards.. And some Mandolin on occasion.. I was born with a metronome in my body... Had Rich dropped the attitude and explored more then yeah.. But Rich , no doubt was the greatest in his era.. Donati and Calaiuta were influenced by him.. No doubt about it.. If you want to go on pure technique.. Mike Mangini probably blows them all away... But when it comes to all around feel, tonality and technique... Donati is the KING!

Yep, damn good, but I'm not as familiar with him as I am others.

Not a knock, just unfamiliarity.

Neil Peart, as a Dr. of percussion always wowed me, so high regards.

Phil Collins had his own bits, and in Concert was pretty incredible - again, just personal exposure.

No knocks, just my exposure.

I'm more of a "Techie" type guy, though as stated, I really appreciate good Music.

• Upvote 1