THE BROWNS BOARD

I'm putting in a 10 kw backup generator April 2, 2018 *IT WORKS!*

mjp28

After thinking about it for a long time  I'm putting in a KOHLER 10RESV, 10 Kw backup NG generator this Monday 4/2/2018.

I've done a lot of reading lately on NG backup generators the spec sheet:

My last motorcycle was 750 cc, it's 725 cc, 18 hp, 37.5 amp.
Mounting pad included, transfer switch not.
It weighs 428 lbs, a pretty big unit.
Remote monitoring includied.

The KOHLER V-twin is much better than the GENERAC generators.

It really is a little power supply and can run for awhile! mjp
Rated kW LP 10 kW
Rated kW NG 9 kW
Amps LP 41.7 amps
Amps NG 37.5 amps
Peak Motor Starting kVA @240 V 16.8 kVa
Alternator Note All information shown is for 1 Phase 60 Hz generator with the largest alternator option available.
Displacement 725 cm³ (44 cu. in.)
Horsepower NG 18 HP, LP 21.4 HP
Enclosure Material Steel
Sound Output During Weekly Exercise 67 dB(A)
Sound Output During Full-speed Operation 71 dB(A)
Response Time 10 seconds
Warranty Premium five-year limited warranty
Country of Origin US
Certifications/Listings EPA|CSA|UL 2200|cUL
Automatic Transfer Switch Included No
Remote Monitoring Available Included
Off Grid / Utility Backup Utility Backup
Weight 428 lbs. (194 kg)
Alternator Type 2-Pole, Rotating Field
Fuel Consumption on NG at 50% load? 120 cfh
Fuel Consumption on LP at 50% load? 52 cfh
Controller RDC2 Digital Controller
Cylinder Arrangement V-2
Dimensions 777 mm x 712 mm x 824 mm (30.6 in. x 28 in. x 32.4 in.)
Engine Manufacturer/Description KOHLER
Engine Model KT725 1.9L, 4-Cycle
Engine/Alternator RPM 3600
Fuel Type LPG|Natural Gas
Frequency 60 Hz
Phase Single Phase
Voltage @ 60 Hz 120/240
Digital Voltage Regulation ±1.0%
Built in Mounting Pad Yes

Oh from an email, the cost of this baby!

......Well we are getting our 10 kw generatior installed this Monday 4/2/2018. I will be glad when it will be done we've been sweating out every power outage and possible outage for a few years now. No power means no power bed plus the sump pump, refrigerators, computer, garage door, lights, phone and much more.

The generator itself is about  $2,700 MSRP plus a lot of labor and necessary extras like the concrete pad, transfer switch, 12 breaker sub panel, battery charger, carburetor heater, wiring, natural gas hookups and whatever else.

Total cost $6,340 plus we will get 1% back from our VISA card as a gift card. I look at it as a major home improvement. You'll have to check it out when it's done......

Anybody else have a NG (natural gas) pretty much whole house backup generator......minus the air conditioning,  my only concession to get a smaller unit up by the house.

I was going to put a big unit by our barn but way too much ground work for just something that you hope you rarely need to use.

2 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

I'm thinking of taking the flat tires off my last bicycle and harnessing the sprocket to a wind powered generator. I think I can last a couple of hours at a time if there is no lightning.:D:ph34r:

Oh yeah TexasAg staring in "Gone With the Windmill". :lol:

Ever try and run a 40 amp service before?

6 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

Oh yeah TexasAg staring in "Gone With the Windmill". :lol:

Ever try and run a 40 amp service before?

Well I saw one in Vegas, but my wife was with me. She would have been worth it though.:D

I got a hold of a new book - "LIGHTS ON" by Jeffrey Yago. It's all about solar power. That's the route I'd like to go. I've read where if we ever did have a giant grid crash, the fuel for generators would run out soon.

It would be a huge disaster.

3 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

I got a hold of a new book - "LIGHTS ON" by Jeffrey Yago. It's all about solar power. That's the route I'd like to go. I've read where if we ever did have a giant grid crash, the fuel for generators would run out soon.

It would be a huge disaster.

That’s why I'm going natural gas and not LP, gasoline or diesel.

I'm looking at shorter duration outages but solar, geothermal and other options are worth it if you need or want to go that route. 

ALSO my wife had shoulder surgery in 2016 and my hip and shoulder are bad, no more bucket brigades for emptying sumps, lifting garage doors, emptying refrigerators, getting bags of ice anymore for us. 

Besides charging cell phones, lights on, reading or watching TV and more are nice to do......storm or not.  :D

After all this wait we get up and there is snow on the ground, sheeeesh.  Like baseball PPD until tomorrow. :(

On 3/31/2018 at 6:49 PM, mjp28 said:

That’s why I'm going natural gas and not LP, gasoline or diesel.

I'm looking at shorter duration outages but solar, geothermal and other options are worth it if you need or want to go that route. 

ALSO my wife had shoulder surgery in 2016 and my hip and shoulder are bad, no more bucket brigades for emptying sumps, lifting garage doors, emptying refrigerators, getting bags of ice anymore for us. 

Besides charging cell phones, lights on, reading or watching TV and more are nice to do......storm or not.  :D

The farmer next door owns the mineral rights - gets free natural gas forever. We don't - we're all electric.

1 hour ago, calfoxwc said:

The farmer next door owns the mineral rights - gets free natural gas forever. We don't - we're all electric.

Wow free natgas get a GOOD big generator and have FREE power for life too.

Just finished the electrical subpanel and transfer switch,  basically our entire house is hooked up except for the A/C.

TODAY over 3,000 local people are without power after last night's storm, after tomorrow's calibration of the compressor we will NOT have that worry. This unit is really high tech!

OK-now for a serious article. These are the kind of smart Republicans we elect in my county. Meet Georgetown, Texas's Mayor Dale Ross, innovative thinker who totally disagrees with Trump on "clean coal" and recently converted our local town to 100% renewable energy, primarily wind energy. Smart enough to have this transformation reported in Smithsonian Magazine this month. See you can be Republican and an independent thinker. My kind of politician.:D

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/innovation/texas-town-future-renewable-energy-180968410/

WOW, IT WORKS!

We kicked off the main breaker and within about 5 seconds the generator kicked in, I was in the kitchen and the frig, microwave, TV, computer,  WiFi, telephone   everything was on.

What a relief, no worries about losing power and a 5 year warranty.  :D

13 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

wind power is terrific. except for the noise that the giant fans make. and the birds that get killed.

gets votes though.

https://www.masterresource.org/wind-power/15-bad-things-windpower/

Noise? Fans? The are wind driven turbines not fans and they do no make a lot of noise. Household cats kill off a lot more birds than these things do. More "coal power" propaganda.

But for the house as an emergency the KOHLER 10 KW RESV backup generator, looks like an A/C unit.

your "tubines" ARE fans, village Texie. They both have vanes.

The use is opposite - a fan sends a stream of air out to cool, and a windmill uses vanes to drive

the mill.  Ever seen a fan, unplugged, that was being driven by a wind? There is your turbine, unless you actually have to connect it to something to drive it.

btw, Tex - your turbines are turning very, very slowly.

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/vane

turn your volume up a bit:

On 4/4/2018 at 11:28 PM, mjp28 said:

WOW, IT WORKS!

We kicked off the main breaker and within about 5 seconds the generator kicked in, I was in the kitchen and the frig, microwave, TV, computer,  WiFi, telephone   everything was on.

What a relief, no worries about losing power and a 5 year warranty.  :D

OMG I can't believe it!

We had the compressor put in Tuesday, the electrical and calibrations completed Wednesday and LAST NIGHT sometime in the middle of the night our power kicked off and the wife and I never knew it until we saw a few clocks flashing in the morning.

The generator is supposed to be about 70 db and it's outside by the garage, we never heard it.

I need an air matress for my hip and the air compressor must have never shut down.......the #1 of several reasons why we got this thing. Wow.

Archived