THE BROWNS BOARD

Inside Info about a Divided Browns Org on our QB? Interesting stuff from a guy who (says he) knows a guy...

Tour2ma

Wait there's more :)..1)Tyrod Taylor takes in his Virginia Tech Hokie football Spring Game today(dude loves football) 2) QB Drew Stanton is playing Golf with Bruce Arians Golf Charity(practicing clipboard holding) 3)Jimmy Haslam is busing his newly signed 21 FA's to Dinner after 1st offseason workouts begins Monday..All is kumbaya on Gilligan's lost Island..  EDit:Dutch tell Chuck to stop stealing my rap til Poe'g gets back from Tampa;) Hoorta & Marko must have noodlin drug poor poe'g like a catfish to internet-less Tampa :lol:

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Well...  there's been a couple updates. And they are not good news for either the Rosen or Allen lovers...

My condolences Tour....   Chief Smoke Blanket Dorsey sending up heavy Allen rumors.  Just MHO- Mayfield at #1 is less of a reach than Allen. 

6 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

If the "neurological assessment" causes the medical staff to cross off Rosen, then that's it... life is going to be harder.

Hey there AGS Energy- don't go arguing with a medical professional about what's inside  Rosen's noggin. FWIW, my best pal and fellow season ticket holder is a neurologist. When he talks head injuries, I listen.  :)  

2 hours ago, gumby73 said:

EDit:Dutch tell Chuck to stop stealing my rap til Poe'g gets back from Tampa;) Hoorta & Marko must have noodlin drug poor poe'g like a catfish to internet-less Tampa :lol:

So little Saquon banter lately- I hardly noticed.  :lol:

8 hours ago, hoorta said:

......So little Saquon banter lately- I hardly noticed.  :lol:

Yeah we're all going through Saquon withdrawal symptoms....isn't it refreshing! 

April 15, I feel like a guy in jail marking off the days on a calendar until April 26. :lol:

On 4/11/2018 at 12:44 AM, LionOfBuddha said:

This picture gives this scenario a lot more credibility. Look who is directly to the left of Dorsey, yeah that’s Scot McCloughan

58C8BE9A-03D9-4E01-BD95-26C61B0E53EC.jpeg

Maybe Hue is the photographer for these events.

The fact that the "experts" on tv and other reporting arenas don't have a consensus #1 candidate shows us that it's probably not out of the question that OUR experts don't have a shared conclusion.  Obviously it'd be NICE if everyone felt the same way, but I can think of pluses and minuses to each guy, so I'm sure they're battling the same issue.  There's been so much talk about Josh Allen and Sam Darnold, I can't help but think that means it will be either Baker Mayfield or Josh Rosen.  To be honest, I don't really care WHO we take at #1, as long as it's a QB, and as long as it's NOT Josh Allen.  He just looks like a total bust to me UNLESS he goes to a team with an established QB and experienced coaching structure that knows what to do with him.  Playing QB for the Browns is a way different animal, as we all know. 

2 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

There's been so much talk about Josh Allen and Sam Darnold, I can't help but think that means it will be either Baker Mayfield or Josh Rosen. 

... a total bust... UNLESS he goes to a team with an established QB and experienced coaching structure that knows what to do with him. 

I believe that the Allen/ Darnold split being aired in our big room is reason for the rumors focusing on these two, but there's a limit to how much of the full group's time you are willing to waste on decided issues. Meanwhile "the decision" is being made by a much smaller, non-leaking group. That could mean that any of the top four are in play.

I don't get the "UNLESS". There simply is not a recipe for creating a QB where the raw material is as incomplete as it is in some cases.

2 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

I believe that the Allen/ Darnold split being aired in our big room is reason for the rumors focusing on these two, but there's a limit to how much of the full group's time you are willing to waste on decided issues. Meanwhile "the decision" is being made by a much smaller, non-leaking group. That could mean that any of the top four are in play.

I don't get the "UNLESS". There simply is not a recipe for creating a QB where the raw material is as incomplete as it is in some cases.

Would it be fair to say the smaller group is Dorsey, Wolf, Highsmith, and (maybe) McCloughan?  

I'm sure the "Inner Circle" has consulted DePo's advanced metrics and every other one out there saying a certain Wyoming Quarterback has the highest bust potential of any of the top 4 QBs. So why would they even consider him at #1?  

34 minutes ago, hoorta said:

Would it be fair to say the smaller group is Dorsey, Wolf, Highsmith, and (maybe) McCloughan?  

I'm sure the "Inner Circle" has consulted DePo's advanced metrics and every other one out there saying a certain Wyoming Quarterback has the highest bust potential of any of the top 4 QBs. So why would they even consider him at #1?  

Because, they may be ignoring those metric/analytics and are just looking at the big frame/big arm and are thinking he may be BRII? 

1 hour ago, hoorta said:

I actually think DePo is in that room as well, but not McCloughan.

Highsmith? Maybe, but if he is in, then I'm not sure the identically titled Barry and Kovash aren't as well... and suddenly the room is getting bigger.

As for considering Allen... that'd only take someone believing he's seen something. If that someone is Dorsey and that something is enough, then it may be hard to push him off "his guy". And that, in a nutshell, is the other edge of the double-edged, "football guy" sword.

The latest....

6 hours ago, Mind Character said:

As the Browns organization has gone completely Dark (some personnel scouts have been effectively let go now that the hays in the barn), there's no more leaks forthcoming unless directly sourced by John Dorsey, Hue, the Haslams, Paul DePo, etc... )

It's going to be a wild last weeks... just rest assured that Josh Allen has a zero percent chance of being picked.... We will end up with Darnold or Mayfield at 1... hopefully something unknown or unseen has taken place to sway the forces that be in the direction of Darnold... Did Baker really get wasted the night before meeting with the Browns and the Browns found out about it?? (I doubt it, but that would definitely help if that rumor was true)

1 hour ago, Tour2ma said:

The latest....

As the Browns organization has gone completely Dark (some personnel scouts have been effectively let go now that the hays in the barn), there's no more leaks forthcoming unless directly sourced by John Dorsey, Hue, the Haslams, Paul DePo, etc... )

It's going to be a wild last weeks... just rest assured that Josh Allen has a zero percent chance of being picked.... We will end up with Darnold or Mayfield at 1... hopefully something unknown or unseen has taken place to sway the forces that be in the direction of Darnold... Did Baker really get wasted the night before meeting with the Browns and the Browns found out about it?? (I doubt it, but that would definitely help if that rumor was true)

And as Captain Picard would say Make it so (at) #1.   Actually if Mayfiled was out hitting the bars before his interview, scratch Baker off the list. Hope that's just an ugly rumor...   

20 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

You know what I think?  I believe we've known who we're taking #1 for a while, and we've been working on every other pick for the past few weeks/months.  Yeah, nothing is more important than the QB selection, but we have SO MANY other picks, high picks, that I can't imagine we're still spending time on who we're picking #1.  The biggest intrigue now is probably what we're doing at #4.  We're going to be getting a ton of phone calls, so we have to decide if we're willing to move down, how far we'd be willing to go, and exactly what we need to make the trade.  

One thing that concerns me is hearing this statement in a recent article.  "In this draft, there's not much difference in picking at 22 or 52."  I forget who said it, so I apologize, and this is just the opinion of one person, but it made me think about how often we've been burned by trading out of very high picks, and moving down to later portions of the first round.  Perhaps we just ignore every phone call and simply stay put to try and find that "blue chip" type guy.  

The biggest intrigue to me now is who we go for at RB. Hyde is ok but he's not our long term answer. I don't want us to sit back and take the "remaining" RB. Get the 2nd best after Barkley if we don't take him. We will need to spend a little draft capital to do that IMO.

2 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

The biggest intrigue to me now is who we go for at RB. Hyde is ok but he's not our long term answer. I don't want us to sit back and take the "remaining" RB. Get the 2nd best after Barkley if we don't take him. We will need to spend a little draft capital to do that IMO.

Ronald Jones?  Get the whole USC backfield?

4 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

You know what I think?  I believe we've known who we're taking #1 for a while, and we've been working on every other pick for the past few weeks/months.  Yeah, nothing is more important than the QB selection, but we have SO MANY other picks, high picks, that I can't imagine we're still spending time on who we're picking #1.  The biggest intrigue now is probably what we're doing at #4.  We're going to be getting a ton of phone calls, so we have to decide if we're willing to move down, how far we'd be willing to go, and exactly what we need to make the trade. 

I'm sure different folks in our FO and on our staff have "known" who they want at #1 for months. Very similar to folks here in that regard. The difference is that they've had new data to consider from visits and workouts... data to which we are not privy. Our last real data was provided by the Combine. Most Pro Days flew by unnoticed.

But sure... they are doing the same for pick #4, #33, etc... plus they've been feeling out deals and running scenarios. While knowing their own mind is job one, knowing the minds of 31 other teams, at least to the extent that we are not blindsided by a pick or deal, is just as important and more difficult.

2 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Do we really need to find a long term answer at RB this draft? Is there a position that matters less and is less secure from a longevity standpoint than RB?

29 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Do we really need to find a long term answer at RB this draft? Is there a position that matters less and is less secure from a longevity standpoint than RB?

With Taylor as QB we have already added the slot guy and now we need a really quality RB as a priority if we want to have a ball control offense while completing a superior defense to get them the ball. So IMO at the moment it matters more. Hyde is fine but a ball control team needs more than one quality player @ RB for a gruelling season.

21 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

I actually think DePo is in that room as well, but not McCloughan.

Highsmith? Maybe, but if he is in, then I'm not sure the identically titled Barry and Kovash aren't as well... and suddenly the room is getting bigger.

As for considering Allen... that'd only take someone believing he's seen something. If that someone is Dorsey and that something is enough, then it may be hard to push him off "his guy". And that, in a nutshell, is the other edge of the double-edged, "football guy" sword.

What’s the first edge?

1 hour ago, Tour2ma said:

I'm sure different folks in our FO and on our staff have "known" who they want at #1 for months. Very similar to folks here in that regard. The difference is that they've had new data to consider from visits and workouts... data to which we are not privy. Our last real data was provided by the Combine. Most Pro Days flew by unnoticed.

Playing it very close to the vest then, aren't they

But sure... they are doing the same for pick #4, #33, etc... plus they've been feeling out deals and running scenarios. While knowing their own mind is job one, knowing the minds of 31 other teams, at least to the extent that we are not blindsided by a pick or deal, is just as important and more difficult.

Sounds like they would be blindsiding themselves if they go with that three way trade deal that is being talked about here on another thread.

Fair point

3 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Latest...   Hue's a-talkin' and Dorsey is on total radio silence, even Hue's got no clue...   http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000926889/article/hue-jackson-2018-nfl-drafts-top-4-qbs-still-in-play-for-browns

Just now, hoorta said:

Latest...   Hue's a-talkin' and Dorsey is on total radio silence, even Hue's got no clue...   http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000926889/article/hue-jackson-2018-nfl-drafts-top-4-qbs-still-in-play-for-browns

Without reading it....are you saying that it seems that Hue is shut out of the decision making process on this draft? 

If so....good.

8 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Without reading it....are you saying that it seems that Hue is shut out of the decision making process on this draft? 

If so....good.

It sure sounds like it Gipper... he has minor input, along with all the other coaches... One voice among 10-15?  from the article..   Jackson got a good chuckle when Mary Kay asked him about Allen...  whew!!

"If there was a consensus (general manager) John (Dorsey) had come to, he would've told me," Jackson said. "That's not the case."

The Browns hold the Nos. 1 and 4 overall selections, so the club doesn't even need to use the top pick to be assured of landing one of the aforementioned. However, with the Browns in need at the position and a new GM in place in Dorsey, Cleveland is widely expected to take a quarterback first. Per Jackson, Dorsey isn't one to tip his hand.

"When John Dorsey goes dark, he goes dark," he said."

I'll put my take from what I got out of the NFL.com article in another post. Until we hear something from Dorsey himself press conference Thursday, all this chatter we're hearing is pure speculation and heavy predraft smoke...  

Hue... lol... still thinks he's getting in on the decision... that he'll be brought into the light.

And exactly how does Hue know how Dorsey operates?

2 hours ago, wargograw said:

What’s the first edge?

Infallibility...

On 4/16/2018 at 8:12 AM, ballpeen said:

Maybe Hue is the photographer for these events.

And he can't sneak in a selfie?

Archived