THE BROWNS BOARD

Landry to sign extension

LondonBrown

Just in time attitude adjustment or the Honey badger be after you...

Tyrann MathieuVerified account @Mathieu_Era

Tyrann Mathieu Retweeted Ian Kenyon

SO!!!! What!!!!! He is more than a guy who catches footballs. They are paying for passion, energy, attitude... things that many offenses don't have! Not everyone appreciates the big plays, we respect the plays that receivers fear to make. Like blocking a LB/ safety or a DE!

Ian KenyonVerified account @IanKenyonNFL
Jarvis Landry just got 5/75 for having 987 yards on 160 targets.
9:11 AM - 12 Apr 2018

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Just in time attitude adjustment or the Honey badger be after you...

Tyrann MathieuVerified account @Mathieu_Era

Tyrann Mathieu Retweeted Ian Kenyon

SO!!!! What!!!!! He is more than a guy who catches footballs. They are paying for passion, energy, attitude... things that many offenses don't have! Not everyone appreciates the big plays, we respect the plays that receivers fear to make. Like blocking a LB/ safety or a DE!

Ian KenyonVerified account @IanKenyonNFL
Jarvis Landry just got 5/75 for having 987 yards on 160 targets.
9:11 AM - 12 Apr 2018

What would that guy know about football?...

woka woka!

two things First after we traded for him people were very concerned that he was on the last year of his deal and if he would sign on with us on a long term contract now that he has people bitch about the money he got (side note i think it is funny he got paid before obj) second from what i have heard he is a leader in the locker room something we sorely need(Gordon.coleman) and he is pictured as a wines hard type player and as much success as he had you would not pay for that kind of production from him ? OH here's a third since Gordons 2015 season when was the last time we had a receiver that could catch a first down on a regular basis ?

I like it. Nice little safety blanket with playmaking ability. Signing him makes him happy and should get him to fully commit to his craft and not have to worry about his money from.this point forward. I guess I would be wanting to argue over a contract offer to an actual star than arguing over minimal contracts given out to The Bargain Bin guys. Guess the FO can't make everybody happy

3 hours ago, LondonBrown said:

Five years $75.5m with $47m guaranteed :blink:

Pretty speechless, doesn't score TD's and is a slot receiver, they can be found anywhere including in our building with Duke Johnson. 

:) Landry was tied for 4th in the league with several other guys for most touchdowns last year. He also has decent hands, (nice drop Coleman with the game on the line) and not afraid to go over the middle. Know baseball isn't a big thing in Europe, but you need the singles hitter (Landry) to go with the home run threat (Gordon).   He was the top WR available either by trade or FA at the start of the league year. If you want talent, you have to pay for it. 

Regarding overpaid- sure if that's all you're looking at...   not crazy overpaid, if you're looking at the WR pay scale. OBJ will blow that out of the water when he comes off his rookie contract...  http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/contracts/wide-receiver/

Plus this contract will be coming off the books right about the time that you're going to have to pay a franchise quarterback. Might as well spend that money now on a proven guy. 

Looking over his stats There's real argument that there is not a better receiver in the league between the 20s

26 minutes ago, hoorta said:

:) Landry was tied for 4th in the league with several other guys for most touchdowns last year. He also has decent hands, (nice drop Coleman with the game on the line) and not afraid to go over the middle. Know baseball isn't a big thing in Europe, but you need the singles hitter (Landry) to go with the home run threat (Gordon).   He was the top WR available either by trade or FA at the start of the league year. If you want talent, you have to pay for it. 

Regarding overpaid- sure if that's all you're looking at...   not crazy overpaid, if you're looking at the WR pay scale. OBJ will blow that out of the water when he comes off his rookie contract...  http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/contracts/wide-receiver/

22 minutes ago, cdl15 said:

Plus this contract will be coming off the books right about the time that you're going to have to pay a franchise quarterback. Might as well spend that money now on a proven guy. 

Looking over his stats There's real argument that there is not a better receiver in the league between the 20s

You've both definitely got me looking a little more positively at it

40 minutes ago, LondonBrown said:

If you say we have to overpay then you're admitting we overpaid, which is my issue...

Well then what alternative would you propose a historically bad team to do in order to attract and retain talent? 

I don’t think this contract is overpaying but that seems to be your consistent gripe. I personally don’t care about the idea of what is or isn’t overpaying until the Browns can put out a product that would attract free agents and encourage players to stick around.

1 minute ago, LogicIsForSquares said:

Well then what alternative would you propose a historically bad team to do in order to attract and retain talent? 

I don’t think this contract is overpaying but that seems to be your consistent gripe. I personally don’t care about the idea of what is or isn’t overpaying until the Browns can put out a product that would attract free agents and encourage players to stick around.

I don't think the Browns have had much of an issue attracting free agents personally, I think it's overblown.

I guess me thinking that leads me to not like the move.

2 hours ago, hoorta said:

Antonio Brown set the bar for WR. OBJ wants more. Julio Jones will be re-upped. We get a four time pro bowl WR, and now guys want to bitch we're paying him too much. 

Financial wizards on here complaining that Landry got paid too much, meanwhile they can't balance their own checkbooks.

They are all overpaid.   If all NFL players only made  like 300,000-500,000 K, they would all be in the Top 1% in earners:

Ohio, to be top 1%:

Annual income required to be in the top one percent: $317,124

It would be more in other states:

California:

Annual income required to be in the top one percent: $453,772

And actually, the highest state to make the top 1%:

Connecticut:  $659,000

The lowest state:

New Mexico:  $231,000

And there is this:

The 4-year minimum base salaries for players in this year's draft (2017) are as follows:$465,000 (Year 1), $540,000 (Year 2), $615,000 (Year 3), $690,000 (Year 4). If eventually signed to a contract, each rookie drafted will get a 4-year deal, whereas undrafted rookies are only eligible for 3-year contracts.Apr 28, 2017

29 minutes ago, LondonBrown said:

I don't think the Browns have had much of an issue attracting free agents personally, I think it's overblown.

I guess me thinking that leads me to not like the move.

You don’t think being 1-31 would effect free agency? Would you go to a historically bad employer if they were paying the same as everyone else?

2 hours ago, LogicIsForSquares said:

No matter how you cut it, this  team will have to overpay to get and to retain talent until they can prove they are a winning destination. There is a reason why jobs have to pay more to attract employees to unappealing locations. Make the spot more appealing and you don’t have to potentially overpay.

This is the part people and the media don't seem to wrap your head around. I get that we traded for Landry, but we couldn't hold a gun to his head to sign a contract beyond his franchise tag. The Browns had $100 million dollars to spend to bring in quality players. Between that and the dumpster fire of the past decade, you aren't gonna sign guys here without overpaying. It's really not rocket science.

Yeah, Landry isn't gonna be catching balls out of the sky like Megatron. But he's been a legit top caliber WR for a team devoid of talent.

3 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

While I "get" the article... if Ds are going to let Landry have 5-yard passes, then I'll take two and move the chains.

That isn't very much is it, we could have got that out of Duke or a slot WR in the draft and not paid them elite WR money

41 minutes ago, LondonBrown said:

That isn't very much is it, we could have got that out of Duke or a slot WR in the draft and not paid them elite WR money

C'mon man - you really think Duke is as good as Landry in the slot? wow. 

44 minutes ago, LondonBrown said:

you have pretty much Sheet on every move we have made this year you sure you are not related to ghoulie ?

Just now, syd said:

you have pretty much Sheet on every move we have made this year you sure you are not related to ghoulie ?

Because I haven’t liked most of them. Shall I pretend to like to appease you instead? Grow up 

3 minutes ago, D Bone said:

C'mon man - you really think Duke is as good as Landry in the slot? wow. 

I don’t see why he couldn’t be. Slot receivers aren’t worth this money. Everyone seems to think throwing money at someone just because we have it means success 🤷🏼‍♀️

2 minutes ago, LondonBrown said:

Ask KC fans how much Dorsey paid  Maclin and Bowe and Maclin was arguably worth it. Landry isn’t. 

wow we have a receiver who will not drop the ball when was the last time we had one of those ? as far as money i would take the chiefs record and being up against the cap any day of the week compared to what i have watched since 99

ya can't agree to argue on something that is not finalized.:unsure:(or can we?)..A) He was bound to get paid.we took the 1st step. B.) better to pay Odel's little brother at LSU, before King Odel gets paid, imo. C.) Does this send a message to Gordon looking a deal next season? (it should) D.) I dare teams to keep trying to cover this guy in zone coverage..clearly they can't.. Congrats & welcome aboard Jarvis Landry..

5 hours ago, hoorta said:

Antonio Brown set the bar for WR. OBJ wants more. Julio Jones will be re-upped. We get a four time pro bowl WR, and now guys want to bitch we're paying him too much

We obviously have some of the most negative, crybaby bitching machines on this board that I've ever witnessed. I wonder if they have appreciated ANYTHING in their entire lives.

Mike  

Archived