THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns sign OL George Foster

Guest Aloysius

Guest Aloysius
Browns Sign Free-Agent OT

by Adam Caplan

The Cleveland Browns signed OT George Foster, the team announced on Friday. In addition, the club waived rookie S Jason Venson.

Foster, a veteran of six NFL seasons, spent the previous two years with the Detroit Lions where he appeared in 19 contests with 12 starts. The Lions released him on Monday.

Originally drafted in the first round (20th overall) of the 2003 NFL Draft by the Denver Broncos, Foster has started 57 of the 67 games in which he has seen action during his career. He started in all 16 games in both 2004 and 2005. Foster has played right tackle in recent seasons, but because the team is light on depth at left tackle, he may wind up being the primary backup to starter, Joe Thomas.

The 6-5, 338-pound Foster was a two-year starter at the University of Georgia, where he played in 43 games with 10 starts. Born June 9, 1980, the Macon, Ga., native attended Southeast (Macon, Ga.) High School.

Guest Aloysius

More from Scout:

The fact that the Lions failed to win a game last year, and had recently signed Foster for the minimum salary at his level of experience, yet cut him anyway, should tamp down the expectations of those who remember Foster's potential when he was at Georgia. Foster’s release coincided with the Lions signing veteran tackle Jon Jansen, a year following their selection of RT Gosder Cherilus in the first round.

Foster reportedly struggled with Mike Martz’s complex offense in 2007 after arriving in Detroit along with RB Tatum Bell in exchange for Dre Bly. The lineman said that he never became comfortable in Detroit.

Regardless, Foster does bring along with him size and experience, if not all the success that the Denver Broncos envisioned when they selected him in the first round of the 2003 NFL Draft hot off of Georgia's 2002 SEC Championship behind a line that included Foster and Jon Stinchcomb.

The acquisition gives the Browns some additional depth on the refurbished right side of the Browns offensive line, where Mangini has already imported veterans John St. Clair and Floyd Womack. Long-time Browns lineman Ryan Tucker is also in the mix.

When he came out there were many calling for him to be our #1 pick...glad i wasn't one of them....lol.

Your right....it could be a good pick up. The guy has been around long enough to have learned a little something and be appreciative enough he is given another shot at pretty darn good money.

The guy might offer solid back-up skills and enough to be a good enough spot starter on either tackle side of the OL.

I think that means goodbye for Sowells. Great to see that this staff is still looking for "best players available" regardless of position. Also, they are insuring the season doesn't go down the drain with one injury. I like the competition they are creating and the depth they are bringing in.

I think mangini means it when he is its an ongoing process to field the best players possible..it pretty much means nobodys job is safe even once they are a mangini kinda guy they will always have to compete to a certain degree and over time our backups will be almost if not starter quality making for a very solid team...can we forward wind 3 years please? ;)

At this point I'll be shocked if Sowells makes the team. Another busted 4th rounder by Phillip.

Obviously Mangini isn't impressed in the least by him. Dude was a tackle at Indiana and they tried him everywhere but center. he probably has stuck around this long just on the premise of being the last regime's pick. Look how long they messed with Perkins and that guy was dreadful.

I just like the fact that it's obvious the line seems to be a high priority... they're looking at a lot of players and potential changes from previous years.

And I suspect it will remain that way under Mangini. He knows that without a good Oline, you might as well have HS players at the other positions... and the only way to stack the odds you are going to have a good line is to draft them high and on a regular basis.

If you don't spend 1st and 2nd rounders on O-lineman at least every 2nd year, you are leaving it to luck, and those who leave it to that usually find bad luck.

O-line play impacts a teams fate more than any other unit on the field. The other units can many times be bailed out by other units/players. Nothing can bail out poor O-line play, and one glaring weakness in the 5 can impact the whole thing.

Whatever happen with Ty Law? I was reading he wanted to tryout for the Browns. He outplayed his contract last year with the Jets. Also I think these type of signings is what we need. If we want to compete in the AFC North we need vets. We've a OLB and OT in KW and JT. So now adding vets to have coach them grow I agree with it. I think having a strong locker room help do more for younger players then good coaching.

And I suspect it will remain that way under Mangini. He knows that without a good Oline, you might as well have HS players at the other positions... and the only way to stack the odds you are going to have a good line is to draft them high and on a regular basis.

If you don't spend 1st and 2nd rounders on O-lineman at least every 2nd year, you are leaving it to luck, and those who leave it to that usually find bad luck.

O-line play impacts a teams fate more than any other unit on the field. The other units can many times be bailed out by other units/players. Nothing can bail out poor O-line play, and one glaring weakness in the 5 can impact the whole thing.

Yes sir! We had ZERO depth before....an injury or two & we were in the tank. Good things happening in Brown's Town.

Mike

JL wont have any excuses now! with all the talent up front he could step forward and fall down and get 3 yards.

I expect a lot of ball control running and play-action out of this offense. and the big plus is we picked up so many O lineman this off season we can afford to make a trade with one of these guys and keep them out of the hands of the enemy (Pittspuke) who need O lineman

Guest Aloysius

Foster only started three games last year, and the results weren't pretty.

In the season opener against Atlanta, Foster gave up a sack to John Abraham and allowed Abraham, Jamaal Anderson, and Kroy Biermann each to get one QB pressure. In the following game against Green Bay, Foster surrendered 1.5 sacks and two QB pressures to Aaron Kampman before getting benched at halftime.

He had a spot start late in the year against Houston in which he fared slightly better, mostly due to the fact that the offensive gameplan included giving him a lot of TE help, as well as running a lot of plays out of the shotgun and using play action bootlegs. Still, Foster gave up two QB pressures and had two costly false start penalties.

On the plus side, Foster is a good run blocker. He's very good at blocking on the move for a guy his size; you can see why he had some success in Denver's ZBS. He's also a good drive blocker, but he's not as great in this aspect of his game as you'd expect a 6'5", 338 pound guy to be.

It kind of gets back to the discussion we had recently about OL size: though Foster's size certainly is impressive, he both moves and run blocks more like guy who's 6'4", 310 lbs. I'm sure he'll also get looked at in camp at guard, as he's too awful a pass blocker to earn a roster spot based on his play at RT.

I agree that this likely puts Isaac Sowells out of the running for a roster spot, but it also creates more competition for Fraley & Hadnot. Barring injury, Thomas, Steinbach, Mack, Tucker, Womack, and St. Clair all seem to have roster spots locked down. That leaves two spots for Fraley, Hadnot, and Foster.

My guess is that Fraley makes the team as backup and mentor to Alex Mack at center, as well as a deep reserve at guard. If Foster plays well at guard, he could push Hadnot for that last roster spot.

Alo,

I have to give Foster the benefit of the doubt. He played for the worst team (maybe arguably) in NFL history, which says to me that he wasn't surrounded by much on the OL, & coaching had to be questionable as well. Let's see what he does with a different scheme & some obvious talent on the line with him.

Mike

Originally drafted in the first round (20th overall) of the 2003 NFL Draft by the Denver Broncos, ...Foster was a two-year starter at the University of Georgia, where he played in 43 games with 10 starts.

Alo, do you remember how this guy was a mid-first round draft pick when he only started 10 games in college?

Did he have injuries? Work-out wonder that rose up the charts after combine?

Shanahan doesn't seem to miss on too many linemen.

Agree with the poster that said he may have been in the wrong systems in Det and Den and maybe being a role player for Mangini's offense is perfect for him.

Zombo

Guest Aloysius
Alo,

I have to give Foster the benefit of the doubt. He played for the worst team (maybe arguably) in NFL history, which says to me that he wasn't surrounded by much on the OL, & coaching had to be questionable as well. Let's see what he does with a different scheme & some obvious talent on the line with him.

Mike

I think it's been established that he isn't a starting-caliber offensive tackle. Read the headlines in his Rotoworld news feed; not much good news there. And a change in scheme isn't going to improve his pass blocking, which is get-your-quarterback-killed terrible.

I'd like to see him tried out at guard, but there are questions about his nastiness & intensity that make me wonder whether he's got the right mentality to be a mauler in the trenches. When I watched him, I didn't see a great power lineman.

But he could beat out Rex Hadnot, another big man who isn't a great mauler for a different reason (he doesn't move well).

Guest Aloysius
Alo, do you remember how this guy was a mid-first round draft pick when he only started 10 games in college?

Did he have injuries? Work-out wonder that rose up the charts after combine?

Here's a scouting report from the '03 draft season that has a lot of good info:

OT George Foster

(6-5 3/8, 338, 5.25) Georgia

Notes: Redshirt in 1998. Top backup in ’99 (one start) and 2000. Had his right ankle scoped in August of ’01 but came back to start nine of 12 games. Dislocated his right wrist in a car accident in early August ’02 and had pins placed in right hand. Came back to play later in the season with big cast over his right hand and wrist, making him a one-armed player until the the cast was removed at the very end of the season. Looked out of shape when he returned to the lineup and at the Senior Bowl.

Positives: King-sized offensive lineman with a giant wingspan who improves every year. Foster plays with a wide base and can play either left or right tackle. Athletic for his size with good body control and balance when he uses proper technique. Has good, quick feet and can shuffle his feet and slide. Very strong hand punch, although he wasn’t able to punch or lock out most of last year due to injury. Can get a lot better. Can play and has played both tackle slots. Moves well and is one of the most athletic guys in the country at the position.

Negatives: Missed a good part of his senior year with injury, and then he was a third swing tackle when he returned. Limited exposure in ’02. Still very raw and inexperienced. Lacks consistency and technique. Can bend but rarely bends his knees and gets low. Will often play way too tall. May be a tad stiff. Does not have great lower-body explosion. Is an inconsistent player who has lapses. Not a self-starter.

Summary: A gamble-on-greatness prospect with tremendous upside, but someone who never put it together in college and must get in shape to be effective at the next level.

Barring injury, Thomas, Steinbach, Mack, Tucker, Womack, and St. Clair all seem to have roster spots locked down. That leaves two spots for Fraley, Hadnot, and Foster.

I agree with the lock downs. I do think all three of the others could make the team.

Going with 8 O-ilneman is a bare minimum if you have the versatility. I am not sure we have that and 9 players is the number I have settled on that will round out the O-line.

You really think 8 is the number??

Guest Aloysius
I agree with the lock downs. I do think all three of the others could make the team.

Going with 8 O-ilneman is a bare minimum if you have the versatility. I am not sure we have that and 9 players is the number I have settled on that will round out the O-line.

You really think 8 is the number??

I kinda like our versatility right now. Tucker and St. Clair can play RG and RT. Womack likely starts at RG, but he could easily flip over to LG, as he did during the middle of the Arizona game last year. Fraley's got enough left to start a game or two at center, as well as provide insurance at guard.

Just with those first seven guys, you could construct the following depth chart:

LT: Thomas

LG: Steinbach, Womack, Fraley

C: Mack, Fraley

RG: Womack, Tucker, St. Clair

RT: Tucker, St. Clair

Then you add Hadnot (all three interior line spots) or Foster (guard/tackle) to the bottom of the depth chart.

From what I can tell, Mangini's never kept more than eight o-linemen. We might keep nine if Tucker or Womack's durability issues flare up during camp, but I don't think Mangini's planning on keeping nine.

Has Fraley played guard before??

I understand he is a body, but not all that sure he would be any good at the position.

You may be right and we go with 8, though at least from this chair, 9 seems more like the number I would like......but, it all depends on who we plan to cut and keep elsewhere.

If you can play center you can play guard. It's easier than center for obvious reasons and your still working as an interior linemen.

So he has never played it before. ;)

I might agree with your rationale, but it doesn't always work out that way. I really don't think Fraley is physical enough to ever be a serious guard candidate.

Seems like every center plays guard at some point. Fraley will be quality depth at C and G.

Hadnot is also a backup center. I think they keep 9 just to have Fraley as a mentor and insurance at center. It would take a disaster of injuries to get him at guard.

Guest Aloysius

Before Savage traded for him, Fraley was working as a guard on the Eagles' second team o-line. He could provide injury insurance at OG, though - as Ytown noted - he'd be very low on the depth chart.

Before Savage traded for him, Fraley was working as a guard on the Eagles' second team o-line. He could provide injury insurance at OG, though - as Ytown noted - he'd be very low on the depth chart.

He could be just as effective in that role as someone like Lennie Friedman was. He is not going to maul anybody but he's also not to cause breakdowns and be ineffective overall. He's plenty smart from playing center and would be able to work with guys on either side of him.

He's the kind of fill in depth you want that won't lose you games, but you don't want him starting a bunch of games there.

I also think Foster is strictly camp insurance. No way does he beat out Hadnot. Rex is a pretty solid guy who can dabble at center and he's also on a bit of a mission this year.

If you can play center you can play guard. It's easier than center for obvious reasons and your still working as an interior linemen.

With that logic, every shortstop can play 2nd base.

Peralta's stick would look very nice at 2nd, o wait, he can't play second base even though it's easier than SS.

With that logic, every shortstop can play 2nd base.

Peralta's stick would look very nice at 2nd, o wait, he can't play second base even though it's easier than SS.

I've never read a bigger case of apples to oranges.

Your statement doesn't make much sense.

Guest Aloysius

Here's some footage of our new offensive lineman:

George Foster vs. Green Bay

He does some good things in the run game, but he's pretty awful in pass pro. Also, he doesn't look as powerful as one might expect a 6'5", 338 pound lineman to be.

I think he'll need to show something at guard to make the team.

Archived