THE BROWNS BOARD

Pluto on the draft

Ward will be a staple for years to come. You cant teach that speed. I am hoping Wilson is healthy. He was a very good coner back. I just hope there isnt a safety 35 yrds down field anymore. It just looked weird.

2 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

Why Cleveland Browns picked Denzel Ward, other draft stuff -- Terry Pluto (video)

https://search.app.goo.gl/QzdsG

Shared from my Google feed

NIce link. Since I have retired from second-guessing, I am going to remain optimistic about the Browns and this kid. Speed, speed, speed.............. then More Speed. I still think Hue is the missing link between petrified schidt and Neanderthal men, but let's see what happens.

2 hours ago, Ghoolie said:

NIce link. Since I have retired from second-guessing, I am going to remain optimistic about the Browns and this kid. Speed, speed, speed.............. then More Speed. I still think Hue is the missing link between petrified schidt and Neanderthal men, but let's see what happens.

Give Dorsey a chance.

The Browns have sucked but it's going to change. The odds are in your favor.

I would've liked to have had Chubb.  (pass and rush the passer)

But ya DO have to cover the receivers to a certain extent.  We played with 10 guys and a goalie last year.  Williams had no faith in the ability to cover receivers.  I guess drafting the CB had to be done.

7 hours ago, Orion said:

But ya DO have to cover the receivers to a certain extent.  We played with 10 guys and a goalie last year.  Williams had no faith in the ability to cover receivers.  I guess drafting the CB had to be done.

And I bought Dorsey's explanation that he had reviewed how many times Garrett had been just short of getting the QB because of poor CB play. That plus Ogbah's apparent recovery has made me realize that my wanting Chubb to go with Garrett was not as important as getting CBs to stop the short game that I know was being used on us every game. I'm looking forward to seeing if theory translates to results this year.

Keep sharing Terry, Steve...

3. One of my favorite picks is Genard Avery in the fifth round. The linebacker from Memphis State is the opposite of Callaway. He's not as gifted athletically, which is why he dropped in the draft despite 22 tackles for a loss.

4. Avery was a two-time team captain. He already has his college degree. He was a power-lifting state champion in high school. He is very strong at 6-foot-1, 248 pounds. The Browns have three starters with Jamie Collins, Christian Kirksey and Joe Schobert. Tank Carder is back from knee surgery and also in the mix.

Not sure how to take the "not as gifted" comment because Genard is plenty gifted for a MLB.

One extreme to the other... and neither extreme is good.

HC's role at minimum is to dial up or down the aggressiveness of his Coordinators. Hue has to have retained at least this level of control. So the issue may be Hue's understanding of the phrase "total autonomy".

19 hours ago, boo fagley said:

Give Dorsey a chance.

The Browns have sucked but it's going to change. The odds are in your favor.

I think the odds ARE in all our favor. I am honestly worn out raising hell among my Browns friends. We all deserve a break from second guessing and trying to play airmchair owner/GM/Head Coach. Don't get me wrong, all that is part of the fun of being here and being a fan, but since 1999 this is all we have had, second-guessing. It would be nice if on Sunday night we could feel good, and have enjoyed a great day of food, booze, friends and a nice win. That's how it's supposed to be. We have all had the short end of the stick for too long. I want to go back to bashing fans of other teams and having my TBB friends cover my back.

I think in the past, we have banked on.....the odds are in our favor. This year, I think the talent will finally be in our favor. There is a lot in this year's team to be enthusiastic about. 

19 hours ago, Orion said:

Well, think about this. As much as I have bitched about Garrett, (sorry, that Cowboys schidt really got me mad, it really, really did.) the kid is a real sonofabitch at getting to the QB. He is his own type of player. He isn't the vicious, Mean Joe Green guy, what he is............. literally, is a monster fukcking Zumba instructor. He is fast as hell and the kid is big and agile. He doesn't have to be a destruction machine, all he has to do is get to a smaller QB and take him to the ground. At that, the kid is a nemesis. God willing he stays healthy, every team has to double team him, every team will have to take time in their game plan to slow him.

So, with that, you don't need chubb. Didn't we take another DE in a later round? No matter. It is the same thing with butterfingers Coleman. If Gordon and the new dude are sucking up the double teams, the opportunities for him are greater and the pressure is less. So, Garrett, by utilizing 2 of the 11 offensive blockers, essentially makes our other DE to be less impeded. Williams was pretty aggressive, so if he felt he needed a fast DB, I think there is logic behind it.

I will be honest with you. Precious to this year, Butch Davis's team was the only New Era team that I was energized about. He was like Belichik in wanting big, fast guys. I am even more excited about 2018. I am going to bet $1,000 on the over wins, regardless of what it is. My concern is Hue giving us another predictable offense. Other than that, Giddyup

7 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Keep sharing Terry, Steve...

Not sure how to take the "not as gifted" comment because Genard is plenty gifted for a MLB.

I think it speaks to where they were drafted...

Genard is a stand up guy who was super productive In college, and was drafted in the 5th round. 

Callaway was the biggest red flag in the draft, yet was still drafted in the 4th round.

Being more gifted athletically is the reason, I'm guessing Pluto is saying. 

19 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

And I bought Dorsey's explanation that he had reviewed how many times Garrett had been just short of getting the QB because of poor CB play. That plus Ogbah's apparent recovery has made me realize that my wanting Chubb to go with Garrett was not as important as getting CBs to stop the short game that I know was being used on us every game. I'm looking forward to seeing if theory translates to results this year.

Want a better/good defensive backfield have a solid front four and vice versa it has always worked that way. That also releases the LB corp to more effectively drop back or blitz.....football is so simple, really. ;)

The BROWNS may be near(er) to a promising defense. 

I like to read Pluto and try to get to the crux of this weekly articles, this week:

6. Ward turned 21 on April 28. The Nordonia product was a first team All-American. He also was an excellent special teams player at Ohio State. For those who like analytics, Ward was rated the No. 1 cornerback by profootballfocus.com. Scouts love him. Numbers love him. I liked the pick when it was announced, and nothing since has changed my mind.

7. If the Browns thought Chubb was another Myles Garrett, I believe they would have picked him. My sense is they believe Chubb can be very good, but perhaps not a major impact player. Again, that's my opinion. I don't have that from the Browns.....

I thought Chubb was the better team need and/or BPA I guess we will see.

1 minute ago, mjp28 said:

7. If the Browns thought Chubb was another Myles Garrett, I believe they would have picked him. My sense is they believe Chubb can be very good, but perhaps not a major impact player. Again, that's my opinion. I don't have that from the Browns.....

I thought Chubb was the better team need and/or BPA I guess we will see.

And the more I thought about it the more I said to myself, "We know it's a real down year for edge players, so is a healthy Ogbah really better or equal to Chubb anyway?" And if that is valid then the top CB pick makes all the sense in the world. I remember last year I could not wait to see how much better Ogbah would play since Garrett would be taking all the pressure with the double teams and chipping every play. I thought it would free up Ogbah into one on one almost every play. But then along came the injury bug to both and we never really got to see it week to week turn into something special. With Ward and all the other DB changes I'm really looking forward to that potential again between those two with so many players behind them to give them the time to operate together. Reminds me of how Denver transformed their D when they added Ware to all those other good defenders they had accumulated so he and Miller had the time to operate on the other teams' offenses.

15 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

And the more I thought about it...

Better late than never... ;)

20 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

And the more I thought about it the more I said to myself, "We know it's a real down year for edge players, so is a healthy Ogbah really better or equal to Chubb anyway?" And if that is valid then the top CB pick makes all the sense in the world. I remember last year I could not wait to see how much better Ogbah would play since Garrett would be taking all the pressure with the double teams and chipping every play. I thought it would free up Ogbah into one on one almost every play. But then along came the injury bug to both and we never really got to see it week to week turn into something special. With Ward and all the other DB changes I'm really looking forward to that potential again between those two with so many players behind them to give them the time to operate together. Reminds me of how Denver transformed their D when they added Ware to all those other good defenders they had accumulated so he and Miller had the time to operate on the other teams' offenses.

& maybe with the defensive changes, we won't see Peppers 20 yards off the ball. But in William's defense, I saw several other teams using that safety a mile off the ball too. 

2 hours ago, hoorta said:

I saw several other teams using that safety a mile off the ball too.

Oh my!  It's contagious!?   -  Well, you'll always be ready for the ol' quick kick.

Archived