THE BROWNS BOARD

Avengers Infinity War review

Avengers Infinity War
Marvel
PG 13.             160 min
Once in a while producers writers executives, whoever, stumble across the absolute perfect title for a project. Kind of like when you order a ham and Swiss sandwich you know pretty much exactly what you’re getting, or you should. The folks at Marvel came up with the title Infinity War for this latest installment of their very popular Avengers series and that’s exactly what it is. War, constant never ending war that seems to go on if not till the end of time, (almost three hours) and long after my small amount of Interest faded away.  Insufferable epics long on noise and computer graphics but short on plot are kind of the modus operandi of superhero films across the board but I give the people at Marvel some credit because a few of their series have added enough human, well I guess it would be superhuman, interest along with a little bit of humor to produce a somewhat interesting film. WOLVERINE and the other X-MEN, the GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY, even Robert Downey Junior and the IRON MAN series have had some entertaining moments. Not the AVENGERS however, and especially not INFINITY WAR. This one uses one of the limited number of stock plots available to this kind of film. The bad space guy, Thanos (which sounds like the name of a Greek restaurant) wants to rule the universe. (Frankly I think it would be a complete pain in the butt to be even the president of the United States let alone the omnipotent master of the entire world and beyond but I digress...)
This time we take that plot and add in an element swiped from the equally stupid BLACK PANTHER and that is that the space goon needs to acquire a complete collection of magic jewels or enchanted boxes or some such crap which will provide him with the power to seal his nefarious deal. Sounds like a cheap video game right? Make no mistake he’s willing to kill hundreds or thousands or Millions of innocent folks to achieve this end. Now just for the politically correct hook the reason everybody hates the space goon is that when his home planet is overpopulated and dying in chaos because the dwindling resources were completely inadequate to support life his solution was to randomly exterminate half the people. Random sounds fair right? While that solve the problem it did seem a little harsh at the time.
So for this entry the Avengers are the group we remember from the other Avengers movies this time with the addition of Spider-Man has a number and the entire gang from the successful GUARDIANS series and a guest appearance by Doctor Strange. So it’s basically every Marvel guy except the X-Men. That, gang, is a lot of superheroes in one film albeit an excruciatingly long one. As with Sylvester Stallone’s THE EXPENDABLES there are just too many heroes to follow, especially in a plot as thin as this one. That means that 90% of this film is made up of computer graphics and noise leaving the other 10% split between smart butt commentary from the Guardians and cringe-worthy dialogue among the others trying to add a false veneer of deep thought to this stinker.
Frankly I actually like a lot of these characters even though many of them are direct rip offs from rival comics company DC, but here they are little more than props in a long and pointless noisefest.  One tiny saving grace? Thor calling Rocket Raccoon a rabbit.
‘Nuff said.
D
WSS

14 minutes ago, JPPT1974 said:

Thanks for the review. As really want to see it. But one thing what you said, just way too many superheroes in there.

Ha

Seriously you should never take my word for it only because I've disagreed strongly with a lot of people on a lot of films.

But let me know if you disagree.

😉🍺

WSS

On 5/6/2018 at 12:29 PM, Westside Steve said:

Avengers Infinity War
Marvel
PG 13.             160 min
Once in a while producers writers executives, whoever, stumble across the absolute perfect title for a project. Kind of like when you order a ham and Swiss sandwich you know pretty much exactly what you’re getting, or you should. The folks at Marvel came up with the title Infinity War for this latest installment of their very popular Avengers series and that’s exactly what it is. War, constant never ending war that seems to go on if not till the end of time, (almost three hours) and long after my small amount of Interest faded away.  Insufferable epics long on noise and computer graphics but short on plot are kind of the modus operandi of superhero films across the board but I give the people at Marvel some credit because a few of their series have added enough human, well I guess it would be superhuman, interest along with a little bit of humor to produce a somewhat interesting film. WOLVERINE and the other X-MEN, the GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY, even Robert Downey Junior and the IRON MAN series have had some entertaining moments. Not the AVENGERS however, and especially not INFINITY WAR. This one uses one of the limited number of stock plots available to this kind of film. The bad space guy, Thanos (which sounds like the name of a Greek restaurant) wants to rule the universe. (Frankly I think it would be a complete pain in the butt to be even the president of the United States let alone the omnipotent master of the entire world and beyond but I digress...)
This time we take that plot and add in an element swiped from the equally stupid BLACK PANTHER and that is that the space goon needs to acquire a complete collection of magic jewels or enchanted boxes or some such crap which will provide him with the power to seal his nefarious deal. Sounds like a cheap video game right? Make no mistake he’s willing to kill hundreds or thousands or Millions of innocent folks to achieve this end. Now just for the politically correct hook the reason everybody hates the space goon is that when his home planet is overpopulated and dying in chaos because the dwindling resources were completely inadequate to support life his solution was to randomly exterminate half the people. Random sounds fair right? While that solve the problem it did seem a little harsh at the time.
So for this entry the Avengers are the group we remember from the other Avengers movies this time with the addition of Spider-Man has a number and the entire gang from the successful GUARDIANS series and a guest appearance by Doctor Strange. So it’s basically every Marvel guy except the X-Men. That, gang, is a lot of superheroes in one film albeit an excruciatingly long one. As with Sylvester Stallone’s THE EXPENDABLES there are just too many heroes to follow, especially in a plot as thin as this one. That means that 90% of this film is made up of computer graphics and noise leaving the other 10% split between smart butt commentary from the Guardians and cringe-worthy dialogue among the others trying to add a false veneer of deep thought to this stinker.
Frankly I actually like a lot of these characters even though many of them are direct rip offs from rival comics company DC, but here they are little more than props in a long and pointless noisefest.  One tiny saving grace? Thor calling Rocket Raccoon a rabbit.
‘Nuff said.
D
WSS

Which Avengers are rip offs of DC? Thanos, sure. Direct rip off of Darkseid, but otherwise I couldn't disagree more. DC tends to over power their superheroes to the point of ridiculousness which is why Batman is their most valuable and best loved property. He's one of the very few that anyone can relate to. 

31 minutes ago, The Cysko Kid said:

Which Avengers are rip offs of DC? Thanos, sure. Direct rip off of Darkseid, but otherwise I couldn't disagree more. DC tends to over power their superheroes to the point of ridiculousness which is why Batman is their most valuable and best loved property. He's one of the very few that anyone can relate to. 

Everything you say is true. You can look up just about any similar hero from Marvel and find that it came out 6 months to a year after the DC counterpart. And yes DC characters are way overpowered. It's not even fun knowing that Superman could kill anybody in the world in his powers are completely indomitable. That's why they had to pull Kryptonite out of their asss. Frankly with the magic suit and all the bells and whistles they are ruining what Batman was originally supposed to be.

This bunch of Avengers is just a pile of Marvel Superheroes slapped together just like Justice League of America was a pile of DC characters slapped together.  Also Stanley has done a great job of adjusting his characters so they are more relative to their audiences.

WSS

A Few matters:

1. You think that Thanos sounds like a Greek restaurant Steve because Thanos IS a Greek restaurant, right here in Barberton......just up the hill from my office on the east side there, by the Giant Eagle.

2. The other thing that struck me Steve.....and this will be esoteric to me and Steve.....is that I kept seeing Garry Gray come back to life whenever I saw him.  Garry Gray was a high school classmate of mine and Steve's who was the biggest badass in the county (and he was).   He passed away some years back. 

3. SPOILER ALERT:    DO NOT READ IF YOU HAVE NOT SEEN THE MOVIE: There were just tons and tons and tons of Marvel Superheros in this movie. In their insatiable lust for money  Marvel/Disney has proliferated all these characters so much to the point that I barely pay attention anymore, and probably only go to see half of these movies.   But if the end of this movies means anything.....it means that we will have a lot fewer of these guys to worry about, won't it.  Of course, I am sure that it will not stop with that. We will have to have the multiplicity of sequels to tell us how all these guys come back to life.......or, at least, we will have to have a series of prequels.

Also there is green, red, white, gold and blue Kryptonite. Each of them affected him in a different way. I would have to look it up to see exactly which but one will kill him immediately, one only affect plant life on Earth, one will rob him of his powers forever and red Kryptonite affect him in a different way every time but only last for 48 hours

WSS

Which is why captain marvel (Shazam) theoretically should be able to whip Superman's azz. Which leads me back into DC and how there's at least five Superman level characters in DC which makes me just bored. Even the hulk has a real weakness. He turns into a nerdy scientist dude whenever he's not raging out. 

11 minutes ago, The Cysko Kid said:

Which is why captain marvel (Shazam) theoretically should be able to whip Superman's azz. Which leads me back into DC and how there's at least five Superman level characters in DC which makes me just bored. Even the hulk has a real weakness. He turns into a nerdy scientist dude whenever he's not raging out. 

I don't disagree with you. I've never said Marvel did not improve upon some characters that they have imitated. Specifically I think DC really dropped the ball with Legion of Superheroes. Could have easily gone down the same lines as the X-Men. But those were simpler times.

WSS

On 5/9/2018 at 5:08 PM, The Cysko Kid said:

Anyone know, without looking it up, what Superman's other main weakness is besides kryptonite?

Well....based on all the movies I and TV shows I have seen......it was either Lois Lane or Lana Lang.  He was always falling head over heals for them and doing some dumb things.

Archived