THE BROWNS BOARD

Survey Thursday..The Best Not To

The Gipper

Here is today's survey....theme "The Best Not To":

1.  Who is he best Browns player ever that is not in the HOF?  (and whom you think deserves to be in)

2. Who is the best Active QB to not have won a Super Bowl?

3. Who is the best coach in history to have never won a Championship?  

4. What is the best team in history to have never really received recognition as a great dynasty...or who fell just short of dynasty status?

5. A. What is the one or two  best "tourist attractions"....in the USA that you have  not been to but want to go.

B. Same question...except include the entire world.

1.  Who is he best Browns player ever that is not in the HOF?  (and whom you think deserves to be in)

Clay Matthews

Phillip Rivers

Marty Schottenheimer (Bud Grant, Andy Reid, Dan Reeves also acceptable answers)

4. What is the best team in history to have never really received recognition as a great dynasty...or who fell just short of dynasty status?

Lions 52-57, three championships, one runner-up

5. A. What is the one or two  best "tourist attractions"....in the USA that you have  not been to but want to go.

Yellowstone and Yosemite

Sydney Opera House, Christ the Redeemer

Clay Matthews without a doubt

Career Wise - Phillip Rivers

Current Talent - Matt Ryan

Andy Reid

Buffalo Bills, four straight losses make them laughing stocks but those were some great teams

Mount Rushmore

Stonehenge

D-i-c-k Schafrath to me is #1.    Clay Mathews is second

Phillip Rivers I think.    Debate on #2 between Matt Ryan...who should have had one, and Cam Newton.

There could almost be about a  5 or 6 way tie.   But, I think for #1 I will go with  Bud Grant.  Bud deserved a title and never got one.  Then there are Marv Levy and Dan Reeves....both like 4 time SB losers.  Then go with Chuck Knox and Marty.

So...Bud Grant.

Those Buffalo Bills under Levy seem an obvious choice.  So, why not.    They were dynastic, but not a dynasty, because I do believe you have to win to be considered a dynasty.  Another teamis the LA Rams from the 1970s.   They won like 7 straight division titles but could never quite break through to the Super Bowl.  And, of course, another is those Purple People Eaters under Grant.  4 time SB losers  (just not all consecutive like the Bills) 

Believe it or not, this question was spurred because I did just book myself to see one of those this morning:  The Biltmore Mansion in Asheville NC.  Others in the US would include  The Columbia River Valley between Oregon and Washington...and the Pinnacles National Park in central California.  Two others also come to mind:   The Empire State Building and the Statue of Libert.  I have seen them from the exterior, but have never had the chance to go into them.   Let me correct that....I was scheduled to visit both of them......   The date I was scheduled?   September 20, 2001.  And you all know WTF happened to prevent me from doing so.   After 9/11...they both shut down to visitors.  I have not been back to NYC since to get a chance to go. 

There are a lot:   The Pyramids come first to mind.  They are the only one of the 7 Ancient Wonders of the World to still exist. Stonehenge could either be cool...or totally underwhelming.  Others:   Loch Ness,  Venice...and Nero is doing some convincing of me that Barcelona may be the place in Spain to visit.  Doing the Great Barrier Reef could be cool.   And doing an LOTR tour of New Zealand could be.   Also, perhaps, the Kruger Wildlife preserve in South Africa.

39 minutes ago, Zombo said:

Clay Matthews

Phillip Rivers

I DO count the Lions as a dynasty, though maybe they don't get the recognition.

Yellowstone and Yosemite

Hey a little facts and subjective thinking on this one:

1. Who is he best Browns player ever that is not in the HOF?  (and whom you think deserves to be in).....I'll second Zombo's Clay for one, steady play, longevity, a true BROWN. Also I'd like to see some recognition for the "close" BROWNS players in the good years when Bernie was here particularly but not limited to defense. Dixon, Minnefield. Always liked Hickerson.

2. Who is the best Active QB to not have won a Super Bowl?...... A lot of so-so guys playing now, maybe Rivers or Stafford if he could stay healthy. 

3. Who is the best coach in history to have never won a Championship?......Marty deserves some consideration  but never got there.

4. What is the best team in history to have never really received recognition as a great dynasty...or who fell just short of dynasty status?.....All sports or football? Buffalo Bills, Vikings sorta' without the rings.

5. A. What is the one or two  best "tourist attractions"....in the USA that you have  not been to but want to go.. ....NYC! Planned several times to go but never made it.

B. Same question...except include the entire world......Grand Canyon, again never got there, I went north & south a lot.

21 minutes ago, 200lbMumford said:

Clay Matthews without a doubt.....I think there can be a doubt.  I can argue about Shafrath....but let's compromise and say they both deserve it.

Career Wise - Phillip Rivers

Current Talent - Matt Ryan

Andy Reid

Buffalo Bills, four straight losses make them laughing stocks but those were some great teams

Mount Rushmore

Stonehenge

5. A. What is the one or two  best "tourist attractions"....in the USA that you have  not been to but want to go.. ....NYC! Planned several times to go but never made it.

B. Same question...except include the entire world......Grand Canyon, again never got there, I went north & south a lot.

Uhmm,  you do know that the Grand Canyon is in the USA, don't you?

My choices for the USA may seem a bit more obscure...but that is because I have been to nearly all top tourist attractions in the US... the ones you all mention:  been to both Yosemite and Yellowstone twice....and you all must get there.   The GC  at least 3-4 times.  Rushmore once. Been to NYC a couple of times.  One time I elected to go to the top of the World Trade Center rather than the Empire State Building.  Yep, I was on top of one of the twin towers before they fell. 

When you say include the whole world the Grand Canyon still is there for me although the pyramids always facinated me as a kid.

So many places so little time, relatively speaking.

While Dante Lavelli is in the HOF, there is an argument that the other WR/split end/flanker/whatever they called wide receivers back then Mac Speedie was just as good as Lavelli, if not possibly better, but because of WWII he started his career at an older age. Clay Matthews is a great choice for #1 too

8 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Clay Matthews Jr

Phillip Rivers

Marv Levy

Bills from 1988-1993

Mt Rushmore & Everglades

Blarney Castle in Ireland.

Mike

11 hours ago, Zombo said:

Clay Matthews

Phillip Rivers

Yellowstone  (been 3-4 times Z, put it on your bucket list)  Yosemite, Hawaii, top of Mauna Kea for the Observatory, and knock another state high point off the list.  :)  

Sydney Opera House,  Australia OK, but Ayers Rock before Sydney.  Christ the Redeemer  Bordeaux, France. 

Mostly have to ditto Z, with a few changes.  :D 

10 hours ago, mjp28 said:

When you say include the whole world the Grand Canyon still is there for me although the pyramids always facinated me as a kid.

So many places so little time, relatively speaking.

Been to the Canyon, and even hiked it rim to river and back. But I had a way cooler all day hike up the road in Zion National Park.  

Speaking of the pyramids, really wanted to go, but cost prohibitive. Those who know me know about my astronomy bent (since I was 6). Can't say I'm a major solar eclipse chaser, though the one last August was #3 for me. Anyhow, in 2006 there was a total solar eclipse that cut across western Egypt, and incidentally part of the Sahara Desert. Odds of seeing said eclipse approaching 100% with a nice side detour to Luxor, Pyramids, & the Sphinx. All this can be yours starting at $4,500 not counting air fare.  :(  

PS- that 2006 eclipse is the same one that will cut across the US 6 years hence in 2024- 18 years removed,  also the same one Carly Simon sung about in  "You're so Vain" in 1970- that I saw back then- 54 years removed. For those who haven't seen one- getting in the path of totality should be one of your bucket list items. LOL, I can sit in my back yard for that one, but I may go 60 miles north to get on the center line. Cleveland is in the path of totality, so you locals won't have to travel either.  

Stonehenge sucks ........ a pile of rocks in a field .....I lasted 2 minutes there ...ok seen the rocks lets go to the pub ....

3 hours ago, darren15 said:

Stonehenge sucks ........ a pile of rocks in a field .....I lasted 2 minutes there ...ok seen the rocks lets go to the pub ....

Yea, but the interesting thing is that they have been there for 5000 years, and that they are perfectly aligned to the winter and summer solstice.  Maybe it is more interesting on one of those days....when they bring the pub to the stones.

On 10/5/2018 at 4:47 PM, Zombo said:

Clay Matthews

Phillip Rivers

Yellowstone and Yosemite

I love the Sydney Opera House. Hopefully I'll visit it some day! I also like visiting parks so if I ever go to the US probably Yellowstone is going to be in my wishlist.

Some compilaton on this:

1. Browns player most deserving of HOF:   Clay Matthews  5 votes.   Shafrath 1 vote.  Mac Speedie 1 vote.. (if you all would study up on how good Shafrath was...you would agree with me)

2. Best QB to not win SB:    Unanimous:  Phil Rivers

3. Best HC to not win a title:   Marty 2 votes.....Reid  1....Grant...1...Levy...1

4. Closest to dynasty:    Bills  4 votes.......Lions 2 votes.      though on this one.....there were kind of two different questions asked:   A.  Which team was the best "not quite" dynasty...and B.  Which Dynasty has gone unrecognized.    So, for A, I think it is the Bills, and for B...the Lions.

On 5/10/2018 at 10:23 AM, The Gipper said:

Clay Mathews

Matt Stafford

Chuck Knox

Buffalo Bills (4 SB appearances)

Grand Canyon and monument Valley...

Stonehenge and the Giza Plateau...

On 5/11/2018 at 11:36 AM, The Gipper said:

3. Best HC to not win a title:   Marty 2 votes.....Reid  1....Grant...1...Levy...1

Chuck Knox, who passed away Saturday, belongs in the conversation. "Ground Chuck" was the more consevative counterpart to "Air Coryell", won Coach of the Year three times with three different teams (Rams, Bills, Seahawks). I remember him most with those 70's Rams with Lawrence McCutcheon running the ball and that tough D, seems they won the NFC West every year, and then with the Seahwaks, Dave Kreig and Kurt Warner ... made it to the AFC Championship with that group and made Seattle a legit football town. Never really had a franchise QB, but from 1973 to 1990 had 14 winning seasons in 18 years.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/former-seahawks-coach-chuck-knox-dies-86-201913722.html

2 hours ago, Zombo said:

Chuck Knox, who passed away Saturday, belongs in the conversation. "Ground Chuck" was the more consevative counterpart to "Air Coryell", won Coach of the Year three times with three different teams (Rams, Bills, Seahawks). I remember him most with those 70's Rams with Lawrence McCutcheon running the ball and that tough D, seems they won the NFC West every year, and then with the Seahwaks, Dave Kreig and Kurt Warner ... made it to the AFC Championship with that group and made Seattle a legit football town. Never really had a franchise QB, but from 1973 to 1990 had 14 winning seasons in 18 years.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/former-seahawks-coach-chuck-knox-dies-86-201913722.html

I did not hear about his death.  Thanks for the update.  Note that in my post I did include Knox as one of the 5-6 candidates for "the best HC to never win a title".  

Is Marv Levy still alive?   He was very old when he was coaching the Bills.

Edit:  in checking....Levy still with us at age 92

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marv_Levy

1 minute ago, The Gipper said:

I did not hear about his death.  Thanks for the update.  Note that in my post I did include Knox as one of the 5-6 candidates for "the best HC to never win a title".  

Is Marv Levy still alive?   He was very old when he was coaching the Bills.

Marv Lives.

Zombo

Clay Matthews

Phil Rivers

Bud Grant

Buffalo Bills and that's the reason Bud got my vote in 4. The Bills should of been a dynasty but managed to choke every time.

Alaska Denali Park

Australia, New Zealand & Christ The Redeemer

Archived