THE BROWNS BOARD

Best Conceal Carry Pistol

TexasAg1969

I'm about to renew my concealed carry permit here in Texas which I let expire when someone stole my Kel-Tec P-11 9mm. It was a nice sized pistol, but it would jam occasionally at the gun range, so it was not a real loss in terms of a reliable pistol for carry situations. Plus it had a horrible 13 lb trigger pull that would have cost me $100+ to fix. It also had fixed sights so I had to Kentucky windage it by aiming a little low and a lot to the left, so I'm looking for adjustable sights at least for side to side motion. No more Kel-Tecs for me.

I'm sticking to 9mms and so far I am looking at the Ruger LC9s either pro (only trigger safety) or standard (both trigger and thumb safeties), S&W Shield Compact 3.1 in barrel with and without thumb safety and also maybe even with laser for about $80 more. I'm a little leery of it without laser because the sights are fixed. Ruger has adjustable sights side to side. The Ruger comes with 7 round mag and the S&W with both 7 & 8 rd mags. They both have pinky extensions to the mags so you have a full grip. The range is in the $300-500 range with the Rugers on the lower end. I've had Ruger revolvers and they have proven extremely accurate. I'm keeping my .357 Blackhawk but it's way too big to conceal. Just fun to outshoot "experts" at the range with their little high $$ pistols.:lol:

Are there any other conceal/carry 9mms out there any of you might suggest without going over $600?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just for some general information I watch the Outdoor Channel almost every Wednesday night, the newer guns over the last years are really incredible including the ones you mentioned in a whole sliding scale of prices for most anyone's requirements. 

ALSO I have bought new pistols, rifles and shotguns and occasionally a few used guns over the years from trusted friends or dealers......some like new to save money.

MidwayUSA Wednesday Night at the Range

MidwayUSA Wednesday Night at the Range

7:00 PM - 2:00 AM ET

SPONSORED BY: MidwayUSA

The block designed for real gun aficionados! With America’s top firearms experts – and champion shooters like Shootout Lane’s Miculek family – you’ll discover the latest in guns and gear, weapons of the past, present and future, shooting tips and self-defense strategies. We cap it all off with a full hour of Robertson family craziness on Duck Dynasty. Gun lovers – and duck lovers – this is your night!

The Shows

7:00 PM Shooting Gallery
7:30 PM Shootout Lane
8:00 PM The Best Defense
8:30 PM American Rifleman
9:00 PM Shooting USA
10:00 PM Shooting Gallery
10:30 PM Shootout Lane
11:00 PM The Best Defense
11:30 PM American Rifleman
12:00 AM Shooting USA

Oh just for fun I did a search on the Midway site for concealed carry guns under $ 600.......

1 - 96 of 2,009 Results for "Concealed carry guns under $600"  :lol:

(Oh that includes books, holsters and other neat items.)

Just for fun again on the Cheaper than Dirt site, under $600.....

Top Results for "concealed carry guns under"

We found 492 item(s) matching your search

All the good names like Sig, Ruger, Colt whatever.

2 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

My best concealed carry pistol sits between my legs.

But is it under $600? :lol:

22 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

You....or your named surrogate...preferably female... can swallow the end of my pistol for under $600.  

I guarantee it won't be me -but- if you give me $600 I'm sure I can get you a great replacement. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Now back to guns before this gets really weird.  :huh:

Just now, mjp28 said:

I guarantee it won't be me -but- if you give me $600 I'm sure I can get you a great replacement. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Now back to guns before this gets really weird.  :huh:

No....I get PAID the $600.

And your participation alone guarantees weirdness.

20 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

No....I get PAID the $600.  :lol:

And your participation alone guarantees weirdness.

Oh yeah I majored in weird in college......but a minor in college architecture. 

And you get paid $600? Ok, I'm off this thread. Dream on, you're a year younger than me.

4 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

I'm about to renew my concealed carry permit here in Texas which I let expire when someone stole my Kel-Tec P-11 9mm. It was a nice sized pistol, but it would jam occasionally at the gun range, so it was not a real loss in terms of a reliable pistol for carry situations. Plus it had a horrible 13 lb trigger pull that would have cost me $100+ to fix. It also had fixed sights so I had to Kentucky windage it by aiming a little low and a lot to the left, so I'm looking for adjustable sights at least for side to side motion. No more Kel-Tecs for me.

I'm sticking to 9mms and so far I am looking at the Ruger LC9s either pro (only trigger safety) or standard (both trigger and thumb safeties), S&W Shield Compact 3.1 in barrel with and without thumb safety and also maybe even with laser for about $80 more. I'm a little leery of it without laser because the sights are fixed. Ruger has adjustable sights side to side. The Ruger comes with 7 round mag and the S&W with both 7 & 8 rd mags. They both have pinky extensions to the mags so you have a full grip. The range is in the $300-500 range with the Rugers on the lower end. I've had Ruger revolvers and they have proven extremely accurate. I'm keeping my .357 Blackhawk but it's way too big to conceal. Just fun to outshoot "experts" at the range with their little high $$ pistols.:lol:

Are there any other conceal/carry 9mms out there any of you might suggest without going over $600?

Glock 26 Gen 3 (9MM)

gun01.jpg

The Glock 26 was designed for concealed carry. It has a small frame and short barrel that make it easy to hide anywhere on the body – and it also packs the power of 10+1 rounds of 9mm.

Even with the small frame size, the Glock 26 retains the same width of a full size Glock. This allows the shooter to get a better hold and much more control over the firearm.

It is a smaller firearm in general, and the internal parts have been moved closer together, but the Glock 26 is still a Glock. It boasts the same proven and well known reliability. With a plant in Symerna Georgia, these fine pistols are being made in the USA as well as being imported from Austria.

Portability: 4

Ease of Use: 5

Weight: 3.5

Affordability: 2

4 hours ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

GirlMini-300x246.jpg

I always thought that those things were cute but not totally practical unless maybe you were playing cards in Deadwood, SD.

I'm basically a revolver guy but some single stack semiautomatic in .380 or 9mm are slick.

6 hours ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

Glock 26 Gen 3 (9MM)

gun01.jpg

The Glock 26 was designed for concealed carry. It has a small frame and short barrel that make it easy to hide anywhere on the body – and it also packs the power of 10+1 rounds of 9mm.

X-zactly what wife & Myself carry for 5 years now.Seller wanted $485/gun but got the pair for $900 at a Gun Show in Raleigh,NC..Pin a target to a tree & turn her loose it's like bringing her home a new pair of shoes with a free purse B)  

3 hours ago, gumby73 said:

X-zactly what wife & Myself carry for 5 years now.Seller wanted $485/gun but got the pair for $900 at a Gun Show in Raleigh,NC..Pin a target to a tree & turn her loose it's like bringing her home a new pair of shoes with a free purse B)  

Mr. Glock the guy who basically knew nothing about guns but kind of revolunized the gun business......

......too bad, I liked those old blue steel and walnut grip revolvers.

My son has the Glock 23 4th gen .40 cal. Think I'll go out and fire several rounds through it first. The only disadvantage I see for me personally is that the sights are fixed. That was a problem I had with the Kel-tec..........had to aim to the left to hit center target. I like the Ruger's adjustable sight because I got spoiled by that on my .357 Blackhawk. Once sighted in I never had to use Kentucky windage to be dead on. I'd love to use it as my c/c revolver, but it's longer than most full sized pistols. Sure fun to shoot though. 

I can get the Glock here for $500 plus tax and the Ruger LC9s Pro for $260 plus tax. (Standard with extra safety features $280).

This may sound a bit strange, but the Ruger can be gotten at no extra charge in Marsala color for the frame with Blue steel slide. That actually could be an advantage for a second or two if caught in a situation facing someone with a gun in their hand. They might just mistake it for me having a toy pistol in my hand instead of a lethal weapon. It certainly could pass for one.

EDIT: I will look at the Glock 43 as well. About 3 3/4 ounces less weight that the 26 but 4 less rds in the clip. $450 though so there's that. Thinner and just barely shorter barrel.

Ruger LC9S 9mm Marsala Frame Blued Slide 7 Rounds

This guy does a good job of selling the Ruger with insight into trigger pull, accuracy and ease of lightness of carry. Sounds like he has a Glock 43 and Glock 26 already and now favors the improved striker fire LC9s. Plus I learned I can get a 9 round mag as well for it. Good selling point as well.

18 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

My son has the Glock 23 4th gen .40 cal. Think I'll go out and fire several rounds through it first. The only disadvantage I see for me personally is that the sights are fixed. That was a problem I had with the Kel-tec..........had to aim to the left to hit center target. I like the Ruger's adjustable sight because I got spoiled by that on my .357 Blackhawk. Once sighted in I never had to use Kentucky windage to be dead on. I'd love to use it as my c/c revolver, but it's longer than most full sized pistols. Sure fun to shoot though. 

I can get the Glock here for $500 plus tax and the Ruger LC9s Pro for $260 plus tax. (Standard with extra safety features $280).

This may sound a bit strange, but the Ruger can be gotten at no extra charge in Marsala color for the frame with Blue steel slide. That actually could be an advantage for a second or two if caught in a situation facing someone with a gun in their hand. They might just mistake it for me having a toy pistol in my hand instead of a lethal weapon. It certainly could pass for one.

EDIT: I will look at the Glock 43 as well. About 3 3/4 ounces less weight that the 26 but 4 less rds in the clip. $450 though so there's that. Thinner and just barely shorter barrel.

Ruger LC9S 9mm Marsala Frame Blued Slide 7 Rounds

Pink Tex?  really?????:D

14 hours ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

Pink Tex?  really?????:D

Oh silly boy!! ;)

Marsala red wine. What could be better?:D

Plus I figured if it was that color I could finally get my wife to learn how to shoot one. In 48+ years she has not once fired any pistol, rifle or shotgun I have owned. She still resists becoming a real Texan.:lol:

Plus if I ever have to defend myself, the other person may just die laughing without me having to fire a shot!!:ph34r::rolleyes:

Well I bought that Wine Pink gun and it's actually a darker wine colored frame than the picture reflects.

I'll be sighting it in (L - R adjustable rear sight) and practicing  with it this weekend some time, unless I find the boss has scheduled my time for me again.

Cost after tax was only $307. I've had great luck with Rugers in the past, so I expect this one will be just fine as well. That little finger extension on the magazine makes the grip fit perfectly, so no excuses for not shooting it well other than elderly tremors or something.:D

36 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

I only own one gun.    A German Luger rifle that my Dad "liberated"  during WWII.  It has the swastika insignia's on it. 

That thing is worth a ton of bucks. Unusual weapon and likely very rare. You should get that on one of the TV antique assessment shows.

https://www.forgottenweapons.com/early-semiauto-rifles/german-luger-rifle/

7 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

That thing is worth a ton of bucks. Unusual weapon and likely very rare. You should get that on one of the TV antique assessment shows.

https://www.forgottenweapons.com/early-semiauto-rifles/german-luger-rifle/

Been there, done that.   You see some guys on ebay wanting a couple or three grand for them. (but you don't see where they were sold for that).  Took it to a firearms guy....who said it was only worth one less zero....200-300.

BTW I "saved" a new baby deer today........................................from me.:D

I was doing my lawn and came across a new fawn laying very still just outside my back fence. I know that the mothers often leave them and somehow they know not to move a muscle no matter what. But this one looked almost dead and I could not see it breathing even as close as two feet away. So I slowly got down right next to it and gently stroked it thinking if it was alive it would finally get up. But it did not move but it did start to respond with nostril movement. I gently picked it up and it was lip as a noodle so I placed it back down and contacted wild animal rescue. They discussed the position it was in when found and it was semi-fetal with front paws under the head. They assured me that the really new ones try to make you think they are dead and to just observe it for 24 hours to see if it moves. Well about two hours later I peek out the back bedroom blinds and around the corner of the fence in the direction of the woods from my house here comes the mom. As soon as she peeks around the fence corner at  baby deer, he/she jumps right up and runs to mom. She leads it back to the edge of the woods where she grooms it and he/she starts slurping milk like there's no tomorrow. After he has his fill she led him on into the woods for a better hiding place after she licked my smell off him. I'm sure he/she had quite a tale to tell her.

7 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Been there, done that.   You see some guys on ebay wanting a couple or three grand for them. (but you don't see where they were sold for that).  Took it to a firearms guy....who said it was only worth one less zero....200-300.

The firearms guy is lying through his teeth. Take it to an honest one.

1 hour ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

If it's a genuine Nazi weapon that thing is worth thousands. 

It is definitely genuine.   My Dad brought it back from the war. 

If and when I decide to sell....will one of you pay me thousands you say it is worth?

3 hours ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

If it's a genuine Nazi weapon that thing is worth thousands. 

I totally agree with DH. Thousands because it's not only Nazi, but is a rare weapon on top of that. That guy was trying to take you or he's an idiot.

This will give you an idea about how much a less rare Luger pistol is worth and then figure rare on top of that. Real collectors will pay more than you would ever think.

https://www.thefirearmsforum.com/threads/whats-my-dads-1942-p08-german-luger-worth.110047/

Archived